Jump to content
Philip

Clearing Roster space, October

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Which isn’t that likely and even if they did, you won’t get much for him at all.

Which is exactly my point. “Even if they did…”

If they do, who cares, and if they don’t, which is worlds more likely, we outright them and they go to AAA or elect FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Philip said:

Which is exactly my point. “Even if they did…”

If they do, who cares, and if they don’t, which is worlds more likely, we outright them and they go to AAA or elect FA.

Because it’s just a stupid decision to drop him for Nothing at this point in time.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes I do realize that and I also said, and perhaps you missed that, that if we lose him, it’s no loss. None of the guys that are in danger of being designated would be any loss if we lose them. None. If we lose Stewart, or Wade, or Wynns or Abad or etc, no one will lose a wink of sleep. And that applies to Jones as well.

This is probably right, but I’d still like to see him for a little longer. And on a team which will likely be bad again there’s no rush to hit the eject button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

This is probably right, but I’d still like to see him for a little longer. And on a team which will likely be bad again there’s no rush to hit the eject button.

That’s reasonable, but there are some guys you keep around,even though they’re terrible, because everybody else is worse, and of course there’s some guys you keep around because they’re great and everybody else is not as good. That’s clear.

But then there are some guys who are terrible that you keep around because you’re hoping something will click in they won’t be terrible. Then the question becomes at what point do you give up?

Some people say oh you got to give a guy, for instance, a year and a half, or 1000 at bats, or 100 innings.

I think it’s enough to see guys fundamental limitations. Having said that, I confess that I’m not sure we’ve seen Jones’ limits, But I think he is much more in the first category than in the third. If he opens the season on the team, that would indicate a weak off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not ready to give up on Jahmai Jones yet. My eyes tell me that he should hit line drives from gap to gap after he makes a few adjustments and gets comfortable. The defense was not average, but it wasn't terrible either. Perhaps he ends up a fourth OF type, but I do believe in the bat. A lot of names not listed in the OP go before Jones would. Elias did not pay $10 million in Cobb's salary to give up on Jones this soon.

The first thing that has to happen is to get down to 40 on the 40 man. We are currently at 47 with seven on the 60 day IL. SO, the seven that need to go immediately after the World Series concludes:

  1. Fernando Abad (free agent)
  2. Matt Harvey (free agent)
  3. Spenser Watkins
  4. Konner Wade
  5. Thomas Eschelman
  6. Brooks Kriske
  7. Hunter Harvey

Yes, that once great prospect who cannot stay healthy long enough to be worth keeping. All of the talent in the world is nothing when you cannot stay healthy. It may be that his preparation is poor in the off season or whatever, but he should not be this injury prone in this day and age. Something else is going on here. For me, it is time to cut him loose and move on.

There is plenty more cuts and/or trades to come. The next group are those I think are most vulnerable for rule 5 protection and new rule 5 picks from other organizations. 

  • Pedro Severino (non-tender)
  • Pat Valaika (non-tender)
  • DJ Stewart
  • Eric Hanhold
  • Travis Lakins Sr.
  • Isaac Mattson
  • Rylan Bannon
  • Richie Martin
  • Zach Burdi

Ultimately, this roster should have a lot of turnover through trades, waiver claims and such. Mancini is a likely trade candidate, and probably Santander as well if the return has enough value. 

Diplan, Krehbiel and Greene are possible bullpen pieces and I think they have a chance to stay. 

The rule 5 additions are going to be interesting. DL Hall, Kyle Bradish, Terrin Vavra, Rob Neustrom, Kevin Smith (despite a poor stint in Norfolk) and Felix Bautista seem certain to be protected. But Ofelky Peralta, Blaine Knight, Cody Sedlock, Cadyn Grenier, Pat Dorrian, Nick Vespi and Cameron Bishop can all make the case to stick. Some of these guys may be traded as well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I am not ready to give up on Jahmai Jones yet. My eyes tell me that he should hit line drives from gap to gap after he makes a few adjustments and gets comfortable. The defense was not average, but it wasn't terrible either. Perhaps he ends up a fourth OF type, but I do believe in the bat. A lot of names not listed in the OP go before Jones would. Elias did not pay $10 million in Cobb's salary to give up on Jones this soon.

The first thing that has to happen is to get down to 40 on the 40 man. We are currently at 47 with seven on the 60 day IL. SO, the seven that need to go immediately after the World Series concludes:

  1. Fernando Abad (free agent)
  2. Matt Harvey (free agent)
  3. Spenser Watkins
  4. Konner Wade
  5. Thomas Eschelman
  6. Brooks Kriske
  7. Hunter Harvey

Yes, that once great prospect who cannot stay healthy long enough to be worth keeping. All of the talent in the world is nothing when you cannot stay healthy. It may be that his preparation is poor in the off season or whatever, but he should not be this injury prone in this day and age. Something else is going on here. For me, it is time to cut him loose and move on.

There is plenty more cuts and/or trades to come. The next group are those I think are most vulnerable for rule 5 protection and new rule 5 picks from other organizations. 

  • Pedro Severino (non-tender)
  • Pat Valaika (non-tender)
  • DJ Stewart
  • Eric Hanhold
  • Travis Lakins Sr.
  • Isaac Mattson
  • Rylan Bannon
  • Richie Martin
  • Zach Burdi

Ultimately, this roster should have a lot of turnover through trades, waiver claims and such. Mancini is a likely trade candidate, and probably Santander as well if the return has enough value. 

Diplan, Krehbiel and Greene are possible bullpen pieces and I think they have a chance to stay. 

The rule 5 additions are going to be interesting. DL Hall, Kyle Bradish, Terrin Vavra, Rob Neustrom, Kevin Smith (despite a poor stint in Norfolk) and Felix Bautista seem certain to be protected. But Ofelky Peralta, Blaine Knight, Cody Sedlock, Cadyn Grenier, Pat Dorrian, Nick Vespi and Cameron Bishop can all make the case to stick. Some of these guys may be traded as well.

I think they protect Dorrian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think they protect Dorrian.

You can certainly make a case. He had a great year with the bat. Doubters might point to his lack of physicality, track record and splits. Mixed reviews on defense. LH power bats are definite value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

You can certainly make a case. He had a great year with the bat. Doubters might point to his lack of physicality, track record and splits. Mixed reviews on defense. LH power bats are definite value.

 

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think they protect Dorrian.

Why does a team take Dorrian?  To backup 1B and 3B, or platoon at those positions?  It's questionable how his bat plays at AAA let alone the majors.  Is he seen as a legit prospect by objective sources?  His future at 3B is questionable.  He's low risk to be taken. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

 

Why does a team take Dorrian?  To backup 1B and 3B, or platoon at those positions?  It's questionable how his bat plays at AAA let alone the majors.  Is he seen as a legit prospect by objective sources?  His future at 3B is questionable.  He's low risk to be taken. 

His bat. At AA In 398 AB he had 22 homers, 72 R and 67 RBI.   His had a 362 OBP and a 836 OPS.  He is a 3B/1B/DH type.   He needs some time at AAA but if Mancini is traded he could be a replacement for him if he continues to progress.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One one hand, Dorrian still hasn’t reached 1000 MiL at bats. On the other hand, despite some impressive moments, you’d expect better stats from a 25 year old in a AA hitter-friendly park. I think he still is worth watching. If he is taken Rule V, he’d likely be offered back to us eventually. So it’s just a question of whether there are pitchers you’d rather protect instead (easier stashed in a ML bullpen). Though it is possible that pitchers returned after a failed Rule V stint come back with their confidence in the gutter. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

 

Why does a team take Dorrian?  To backup 1B and 3B, or platoon at those positions?  It's questionable how his bat plays at AAA let alone the majors.  Is he seen as a legit prospect by objective sources?  His future at 3B is questionable.  He's low risk to be taken. 

Maybe there will be a team that covets a LH corner INF bat. Maybe a NL team. That said, I doubt he would get selected. I doubt he is put on the 40 man. The Orioles are starved for LH bats, but I don’t think they see him as a piece. If they did, I think they would have moved him up to AAA in July or early August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Maybe there will be a team that covets a LH corner INF bat. Maybe a NL team. That said, I doubt he would get selected. I doubt he is put on the 40 man. The Orioles are starved for LH bats, but I don’t think they see him as a piece. If they did, I think they would have moved him up to AAA in July or early August. 

They are starved for any bat LH or RH, that can produce quality at bats at the MLB level.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

His bat. At AA In 398 AB he had 22 homers, 72 R and 67 RBI.   His had a 362 OBP and a 836 OPS.  He is a 3B/1B/DH type.   He needs some time at AAA but if Mancini is traded he could be a replacement for him if he continues to progress.   

Dorrian’s OPS dropped significantly in each month:

May 1.024

June .881

July .785

August .710

September .654

I haven’t looked closely at who should be protected on the 40-man roster, but I wouldn’t be too concerned if we left Dorrian off.   I doubt he’d be claimed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Maybe there will be a team that covets a LH corner INF bat. Maybe a NL team. That said, I doubt he would get selected. I doubt he is put on the 40 man. The Orioles are starved for LH bats, but I don’t think they see him as a piece. If they did, I think they would have moved him up to AAA in July or early August. 

You mean like they did with Grayson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...