Sports Guy

Santander for Brian Anderson?

The Marlins are once again looking for OFers and we know they talked with the Os last year.

Brian Anderson, like Santander, is coming off a down year but, like Santander, has a higher upside to be more than that.  

Both players are arb eligible for the first time in 2022.  

Both can play good defense at their positions and both can hit for an 800+ OPS.  Seems like a fair deal for each team to address a position of need.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/marlins-notes-outfielders-anderson-revenue.html

• Upvote 1

Doesn't really move the needle but I think I would do it. Good thinking. personally I'd like to keep Santander and see if he can get hot for a while before we trade him in July but I suppose you could say the same about Anderson.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Marlins are once again looking for OFers and we know they talked with the Os last year.

Brian Anderson, like Santander, is coming off a down year but, like Santander, has a higher upside to be more than that.  

[B]Both players are arb eligible for the first time in 2022. [/B]

Both can play good defense at their positions and both can hit for an 800+ OPS.  Seems like a fair deal for each team to address a position of need.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/marlins-notes-outfielders-anderson-revenue.html

Both players were Arb eligible last year.  Anderson was paid $3.8 mm, Santander $2.1 mm.   Anderson is under control for 2 more seasons, Santander for 3 (he was a Super Two last year).

I don’t think Miami would do this deal.   I’d definitely do it if I were the O’s.  

• Upvote 2

This is a deal where the Orioles get a hitter comparable in output to Santander and it solves the hole at third base. Almost a no brainer if the Marlins agree to it.

Third base is a big issue on the Orioles right now and the lack of a legit 3B is going to hold the team back from improving in 2022. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's can add infielders through FA.  But adding starters from FA will be tough.   If the O's trade Santander I think it will be for a starter because that is a bigger need.

What starting pitcher can we get for Santander?  People keep saying this but what disappointing starter making similar money is available to an OF needy team?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Andrew Heaney might be our biggest offseason move. That and a Mancini trade for whatever we can get. I think Santander sticks till the deadline and hopefully builds value. 

I'm kind of tired of this thought that Orioles should and will continue to try and be the lowest common denominator in the sport.  Enough is enough, you have to start building a winning team at some point and it doesn't happen with the flip of a switch.  We don't get to next off season and go "Now is the time to compete! Nut, nuk, lets go get some free agents and replace all this drivel on the team."  Thats asanine and if you look you will find any playoff roster is the result of years of building and taking calculated risks that heretofore I have not seen Elias is willing to do.

If Elias persists in his belief that he will build an entire team from Single A up without acquiring meaningful low, and sometimes higher risk,  free agents, the Orioles will never sniff a playoff game until long after Adley Ruschman or Grayson Rodriguez have become Yankees or Red Sox players and won championships with their new teams. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What starting pitcher can we get for Santander?  People keep saying this but what disappointing starter making similar money is available to an OF needy team?

Pablo Lopez?

The imbalances of Kim Ng's and Mike Elias' talent buckets give plenty of fodder for discussion whenever talent accumulation changes over to funneling it into a roster.

Honestly if the Marlins are trying for 2022, they put a lot of eggs in Starling Marte for that big CF last year   I don't think Ng has much chance to bid/win him back, and Anderson important to their '22 team trying to hit enough to be relevant.    

The Marlins probably have the pitching to make Elias the Mullins offer he can't refuse (or Hays somewhere between him and Santander), but what would it be?

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Pablo Lopez?

The imbalances of Kim Ng's and Mike Elias' talent buckets give plenty of fodder for discussion whenever talent accumulation changes over to funneling it into a roster.

Honestly if the Marlins are trying for 2022, they put a lot of eggs in Starling Marte for that big CF last year   I don't think Ng has much chance to bid/win him back, and Anderson important to their '22 team trying to hit enough to be relevant.    

The Marlins probably have the pitching to make Elias the Mullins offer he can't refuse (or Hays somewhere between him and Santander), but what would it be?

I mean…if they offered Cabrera and Meyer for Mullins it’d be kinda hard to say no 

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's can add infielders through FA.  But adding starters from FA will be tough.   If the O's trade Santander I think it will be for a starter because that is a bigger need.

What kind of starting pitcher would Santander bring?  

Answering my own question:  not much of one, I don't believe.

I still believe in Santander.  If he can shake those nagging injuries he could be something special.  Announcing publicly that he is changing his "diet" tells me that he understands what he needs to do to stay on the field. 

11 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

I still believe in Santander.

Yeah I believe in his talent. Guy you trade cause he's injury prone then gets himself right and mashes for a few years.

I do like Brian Anderson as a target though. That career OBP will keep him from being too cheap despite the down year. Still, should definitely kick the tires there.