interloper

So... was the Cobb trade actually worth it?

Right now the Angels have no Cobb.  He will be a free agent.  The Angels won nothing with him.

The O's have 24 year old, 2nd round draft choice, Jones.  He is not a finished product but he has time to become one and he has on option left for next season.  Over the next year Jones may join the O's major league club or he may be used as part of a trade.  Plus there is the 5m.

So we know what Angels got. What the O's got  is still in development.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes…John Angelos saved 5M bucks to help fund his wife’s failing country music career.

Hold on, so John Angelos' wife wrote a song that Brad Brach's wife sang, and the Best AL Record in a 5-year span team had a country song?!?!   This needs an Elias era cover.     I guess I gotta plead infant in the house around then, but I somehow missed Don't Miss The Magic.    Maybe I should be more worried about Nashvile...

• Haha 1

A walk down memory lane. Incredible!     I have watched it 3 times and will be playing it many more.

Send it to Elias.  Remind him how it was and can be again. Tell him to make it happen.

How many more wins would this team had with Cobb pitching?  It was a smart trade.  The O's saved 5 million and got an "interesting" prospect in return.  I don't know if Jones will ever amount to much, but he's athletic and still fairly young.  For a rebuilding team I'd make that kind of trade everyday.

1 hour ago, rudyrooster said:

How many more wins would this team had with Cobb pitching?  It was a smart trade.  The O's saved 5 million and got an "interesting" prospect in return.  I don't know if Jones will ever amount to much, but he's athletic and still fairly young.  For a rebuilding team I'd make that kind of trade everyday.

Oh I definitely agree that we should’ve made the trade, every team makes a dozen trades every year that are good trades, even if they don’t work out.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Hold on, so John Angelos' wife wrote a song that Brad Brach's wife sang, and the Best AL Record in a 5-year span team had a country song?!?!   This needs an Elias era cover.     I guess I gotta plead infant in the house around then, but I somehow missed Don't Miss The Magic.    Maybe I should be more worried about Nashvile...

I heard Elias is only interested if it's dubstep. 

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Surprisingly likeable song and I wanted to hate it.  I'll be really suspicious if Elias starts showing up for interviews in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Surprisingly likeable song and I wanted to hate it.  I'll be really suspicious if Elias starts showing up for interviews in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

All part of the long con to move the team to Nashville.

• Upvote 1

Btw, I think there is merit to the point of the OP.

If Cobb was here and stayed healthy, it likely would have hurt us.  By that I mean, we are still probably a sub 60 win team but are more in line with the 2nd-4th pick as opposed to the first pick.

That being said, putting out a more watchable product is important.  I didn’t feel it was important in 2019 and to a lesser extent in 2020 and 2021 but moving forward, the product needs to start being watchable and not just when GRod is pitching or Adley is hitting.  

Put it another way…If Cobb was on the team heading into next season and he had just completed a solid year, I wouldn’t make the deal that was made.  If someone would have wanted to trade us a better prospect and eaten most of his salary, that would be fine but the type of deal we did, I don’t think we should do going into this season.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

A walk down memory lane. Incredible!     I have watched it 3 times and will be playing it many more.

Send it to Elias.  Remind him how it was and can be again. Tell him to make it happen.

I agree.

The Cobb trade was a win for us. He just turned 24 in August, so last year was his age 23 season. As a 2B, he put up a .768 OPS in AAA. That’s very respectable for a 2B. 

The tools are there. There is a lot to like about his game. You can’t get down on a guy that completely flopped in the MLB at 23. 

I lump him in with guys like Urias, Mateo, Guiterrez, and McKenna. These are all guys that have tools, they just need to put it all together at the MLB level. We don’t need them to be stars, but it would be nice for some of them to be role players on our 2023+ teams. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Cobb trade was a win for us. He just turned 24 in August, so last year was his age 23 season. As a 2B, he put up a .768 OPS in AAA. That’s very respectable for a 2B. 

The tools are there. There is a lot to like about his game. You can’t get down on a guy that completely flopped in the MLB at 23. 

I lump him in with guys like Urias, Mateo, Guiterrez, and McKenna. These are all guys that have tools, they just need to put it all together at the MLB level. We don’t need them to be stars, but it would be nice for some of them to be role players on our 2023+ teams. 

I kind of agree with you, but the foursome you mentioned have one thing going for them that Jones doesn't: defense. Guiterrez is the only one that doesn't play up the middle (granted McKenna will probably be getting more time in LF and RF than CF if Mullins is able to sustain his success moving forward), but he looked good with the glove at 3B. The bats for McKenna and Guiterrez were lacking, but not the glove. 

All that said, I am still not ready to give up on Jones at a big leaguer. I think Urias, Mateo, Jones, and Guiterrez are all slated to cover 2B, SS and 3B next year (along with a UTL spot) unless they add someone in Free Agency.