Jump to content
Tony-OH

Interesting comments by Harvey on Orioles strength and conditioning staff

Recommended Posts

Harvey said this about one of his injuries this year.

"The spring training thing, I’m about positive it had to do with a weight room thing. We tried a new core exercise, and then two days later, I blew my oblique out. So, it happened to be something that worked the oblique and I think it all adds up together, going from how I’ve never done that exercise to two days later I have a Grade 3 oblique strain. So, I think it just all kind of goes together."

Now don't get me wrong, Harvey could probably blow his elbow out opening a jar of peanut butter, but his comments were interesting none the less.

Harvey is a guy you gotta keep on the roster in the Orioles situation, in the one off chance he ever can stay healthy, but this is probably his last year.

Even if healthy, with EV and barrel rates over his career, you have to wonder if he'll ever be a guy you want in a high leverage situation in a close game.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gut reaction... he's a professional athlete... those core exercises would have to have been mind-blowing to cause him an injury in 2 or 3 days.  If they had something to do with his injury, him being prone to getting injured so easily probably had a lot more to do with it.    Then again, I only play a doctor on the interwebs. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There may have been an issue with the training staff (e.g., I was irked that Zimmerman was injured in the weight room), but Harvey also blamed throwing a slider on another injury. I take what Harvey says about injuries with a grain of salt. A really big grain of salt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say that even if Harvey is correct that his injury related to the core exercise he did in the weight room, it doesn’t mean that the exercise was inappropriate.   Not enough info to really assess it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I heard Harvey is being offered the role of Elijah Price (Mr. Glass) in a remake of Unbreakable. Harvey should do well being a method actor. 

He'll probably be too injured to take the part.  ;) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, yes…publicly blame someone else. Maybe it was the exercise, maybe not but publicly dodging accountability for injuries always comes across as petty to me. Not to say it was Harvey’s fault or anything that he was injured…but as the edited for TV version of Forrest Gump says…It Happens. Still, come on buddy…don’t point fingers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King Charles VI of France thought he was made of glass.  I would say that's who Harvey could be compared to except Charles the VI was suffering from mental illness (glass delusion).  Obviously Harvey isn't, he just can't stay healthy.  I don't expect him to amount to anything at this point but if people want to give him one more try I'm okay with it.  I mean it's not like we're contending next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Harvey said this about one of his injuries this year.

"The spring training thing, I’m about positive it had to do with a weight room thing. We tried a new core exercise, and then two days later, I blew my oblique out. So, it happened to be something that worked the oblique and I think it all adds up together, going from how I’ve never done that exercise to two days later I have a Grade 3 oblique strain. So, I think it just all kind of goes together."

Now don't get me wrong, Harvey could probably blow his elbow out opening a jar of peanut butter, but his comments were interesting none the less.

Harvey is a guy you gotta keep on the roster in the Orioles situation, in the one off chance he ever can stay healthy, but this is probably his last year.

Even if healthy, with EV and barrel rates over his career, you have to wonder if he'll ever be a guy you want in a high leverage situation in a close game.

 

 

Harvey could probably retire now and go directly into a rehab/strength and conditioning job because he has so much hands on training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough crowd.  He simply sounded like he was explaining the injury and how he thought he got it.   He didn't sound like he was trying to throw someone under the bus.   It's been pretty frustrating for him and the fans.   I guess you have to give it one more try at this point because, the one time when he came up in September and was healthy he had the stuff of a top setup guy or closer.   Unfortunately, we've only seen it that one time but what the heck.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tough crowd.  He simply sounded like he was explaining the injury and how he thought he got it.   He didn't sound like he was trying to throw someone under the bus.   It's been pretty frustrating for him and the fans.   I guess you have to give it one more try at this point because, the one time when he came up in September and was healthy he had the stuff of a top setup guy or closer.   Unfortunately, we've only seen it that one time but what the heck.

Well, Elias DID fire two guys in the strength and conditioning department last week.   And in addition to Harvey's perhaps misinterpreted comments, we also heard that Zimmerman's injury may have been related to weight room activities.

So putting 2 and 2 and 2 together MIGHT come up with 6 here, but it's all speculative I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's going to be a terrifying release if/when it happens, but what's the trope...the last thing a 100-loss team needs is a closer.

Cot's still lists him with 1/3 options remaining as of 1/21, and I think it was conserved as he hit 60-day DL in March when Franco signed and then was all injury rehab on/off all year.   So I guess he got his $575K and full year of service, but Club might still have Up/Down flexibility in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oriole said:

Ah, yes…publicly blame someone else. Maybe it was the exercise, maybe not but publicly dodging accountability for injuries always comes across as petty to me. Not to say it was Harvey’s fault or anything that he was injured…but as the edited for TV version of Forrest Gump says…It Happens. Still, come on buddy…don’t point fingers

To be clear, he didn’t.   He said he thought the oblique injury might have come from a new exercise he tried.   He never blamed anyone, never said a word about anyone on the staff.   Never said anyone did anything wrong.   The thread title is a little misleading, because Harvey didn’t make any comments about the strength and conditioning staff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Apparently Enfield has some local ties…maybe that’s a big help. Odom, the coach at UMBC when they beat UvA figures to be on the list too.
    • Oh man, there should definitely be a Summers Eve Douche Bowl.  That would be amazing!
    • This. I was always a MD Basketball fan first football fan second even though I like football more. Mostly because I grew up with Len Bias during the glory years of Lefty and then Gary Williams cam in and let them very relevent winning it all with an underdog squad. I could not be happier that Turgeon is gone as I've been off his bandwagon for a long time. He's an awful in game coach and his offense is stale, boring and basically resides around throwing up threes or letting his star be stars. Losing Wiggens and Morsell should have told Evans he needed to finally push him out the door, but now we have another lost year.  They need a splashy signing that will invigorate the recruiting and the program. I'll be honest, I tried watching a game or two but found myself disinterested and worse, I really cared less about the VT game where they just looked awful down the stretch. All I kept thinking to myself is more boring Turgeon ball. Either way, I wish there was some way to go back to the ACC but I doubt that will ever happen. MD football will always be irrelevant in the Big-10 because they will never be able to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State because they have huge packed stadiums every year and compete in major bowls while the Terps end up in Summers Eve Douche Bowl.  And yes, I had to look up a brand of douche! MD basketball should be good because of the local talent and facilities, but as was mentioned already, the college sports scene has changed with social media, one and done possibilities and the transfer pool. And that's doesn't even take into consideration the "likeness pay" is going to have. Both programs need big time coaches to ever have a chance but sadly, Evans is not concerned with making money rather than having success in the field/court.
    • I read them..but a lot of them don’t matter and/or don’t provide the advantage it used to.  
    • https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXEbFnjMyrn/?utm_medium=share_sheet
    • If he is in a class of his own a la Adley was, let’s hope under slot isn’t a concern. I’m extremely excited to watch amateur ball this spring. 
    • That's a pretty broad brush to paint an entire generation. I just laid out all the reasons that makes UMD such an attractive job.  Seems like you're the one not paying attention. Gary Williams had MD as a top 10 program for over a decade.  It can surely be done again.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...