Frobby

O’s RHP problems vs. RHB

Sort of an odd split, but O’s RHP allowed an .869 OPSA by RHB this year, the worst platoon split by our staff.    Among the RH pitchers who struggled vs. RHB were:

Watkins 1.058 OPSA (.869 vs LHB)

Kremer 1.009 (.867)

Valdez .980 (.766)

Harvey .879 (.769)

The other team splits were

RHP v. LHB .797

LHP v. RHB .778

LHP v. LHB .773

All pretty bad, and notably, league wide the L v. L split is .656, so that .773 is really terrible in relative terms.  

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well sure…our pitchers suck, had some historically bad numbers and most hitters are right handed. 

Well, our R x L and L x R splits aren’t nearly as bad, compared to league average.   

R x R .869 (.711 league average)

R x L .797(.742)

L x R .778 (.766)

L x L .773 (.656)

All worse than league average, but R x R particularly bad.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

L x R .778 (.766)

Hey...look at those lefty changeup artists keeping opposite handed batters in check!

John Means wrecking Giancarlo Stanton's core as a baby bird is a memory that'll either fade or grow sweeter if the lean Orioles can get by the bloated Yankees in a few years.    I think Cole's sidekick as a 2023 franchise cornerstone entering this offseason might "only" be Anthony Volpe, kind of a rich man's Gunnar Henderson.

There's always gonna be like $250M, nay $300M, of Yankees to try and beat circa 2025, but they do have almost $100M of it already deployed on Cole, Giancarlo, LeMahieu and Hicks.    Correa and Judge would probably take those 2025 Yanks to $160M for the first six guys, mostly Presidential qualifiers.

I don't have clarity yet on if I'm wishing for Judge to get his Giancarlo+ money (the Machado/Davis SAT analogy is pleasant) until Age-39 or some such, or for him to become the new Correa, mascot for latent Orioles $$$ to be used someday someway on the MLB club.   2023 feels so much more manageable if any kind of Two-Star swing on a good rival can be effectuated, even I suppose if it is just Michael Brantley for his Beltran gig.

Another interesting analysis would be the BA of 7,8,and 9 batters in the opposition lineup vs league average. Maybe not anything out of line but watching them, it sure seems they do not take of advantage of the lower 1/3 of the enemy lineup.   

@Oriole1940, here you go:

Vs. 7th: .786 OPSA (AL ave. .694)

Vs. 8th: .734 (.671)

Vs. 9th: .754 (.644)

So on average at the three spots they’re .088 worse than league average.  Overall, at all spots, they were .087 worse than league average.  So, about the same.   Terrible everywhere.  

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Hey...look at those lefty changeup artists keeping opposite handed batters in check!

Did you change your posting name at some point? I swear this writing style is familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it.

On the topic of this thread, I do think it says something to the O's about their approach. It's quite possible that they're using the wrong pitch mix in specific situations. I'm far from certain that's the case, but a differential that's out of step with all of the rest of the (also bad) peripheral statistics probably means *something* I'd think.

51 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Did you change your posting name at some point? I swear this writing style is familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Yep, he used to be OrioleDog.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• A better order Better bring in a haul - Mullins, Hays, Means Some To little value; could gain much more value w/ good start to 2022 - Santander, Mancini, Sulser, Scott, Tate, Lyles Currently no value, but bc of age, service time, and/or potential to reach peak value, IF they were to perform WOULD have trade value - Fry, Lopez, Odor, Stewart    
    • I was shocked at first but did some research on the current market, and  1 year 7 million is spot on for Lyles to the O's
    • They have no current value, but this thread discusses potential to build value as well.
    • There was no real order
    • I do not want Green.  Just way too many strike outs, too many holes in the swing for me to be comfortable with.   
    • September/October2021 -- finally getting around to this. 11-20 record 6-14 vs. AL East 8-10 at home 3-10 on the road 5-7 in one-run games 1-4 in extra innings Batting 3.90 runs/game was 14th in the AL .237 BA was 12th .308 OBP was 10th .391 SLG was 12th .699 OPS was 12th 1.19 HR/G was 7th .225/.314/.398 with RISP (274 PA, 236 AB, 53 H, 94 TB, 86 TOB) Pitching 5.84 ERA was last in the AL 5.97 RA/G was last 1.77 HR/G was last 5.05 starter ERA was 12th 4.37 IP/start was 12th 6.63 bullpen ERA was last 7 saves was tied for 8th 17 save opportunities  10 blown saves  Defense 10 unearned runs was tied for 10th fewest in the AL 0.42 errors/game (13 errors) -0.7 fangraphs defense 1.3 UZR (+ 3.3 OF, +2.0 IF) -1 Rtot -3 Rdrs 0 OAA Cumulative through September/October 2021 Batting 4.07 runs/game was 14th in the AL .239 BA was 10th .304 OBP was 12th .402 SLG was 11th .705 OPS was 12th 1.20 HR/G was 10th .232/.311/.353 with RISP (1437 PA,  1241 AB, 288 H, 438 TB, 445 TOB)(.664 OPS with RISP was last in the AL) Pitching 5.84 ERA was last in the AL 5.90 RA/G was last 1.59 HR/G was last 5.99 starter ERA was last 4.54 IP/start was last 5.70 bullpen ERA was last  26 saves was last 54 save opportunities was 13th 28 blown saves was tied for 2nd most Defense 46 unearned runs was fewest in the AL  0.46 errors/game (74 errors) was 3rd fewest 0.1 fangraphs defense was 8th in AL -3.9 UZR was 10th  (-4.4 OF, +0.5 IF) -46 Rtot was 14th - 30 Rdrs was 12th -16 OAA Conclusion:  The offense was pretty much its usual well below average self in September/October, and while the hitting with RISP was a little better than it was on the season as a whole (.712 OPS vs. .664), somehow the team still was 14th in runs per game despite doing better than that in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS (all in the 10th-12th range).   Not epically bad, just regular bad.   The starting pitching also was only regular bad, and better than its usual epically awful, posting a 5.05 ERA in September/October compared to 5.99 on the season.   But the bullpen really carried the team to the no. 1 draft pick, posting a 6.63 ERA for the month and blowing 10 of 17 save opportunities.   Think about that -- 17 save opportunities in one month is a lot!   But the pen blew more than half of them.   The pen was epically bad this season, and even more horrible in September/October.   Finally, the defense was sort of middling in the final month, both by standard and advanced metrics.   It's interesting that on the year, the O's allowed the fewest unearned runs of any team in the league, and the 3rd fewest errors, and yet, Rdrs had them at -46 runs, Rtot said -30, and OAA said -16.    All in all, there's a ton of work to do in all areas for 2022.   The pitching in particular just has to get better.   And I think it will, because it pretty much cannot get worse, either for the starters (5.99 ERA for the year while covering only 4.54 IP per start) or the bullpen (5.70 ERA and a 48% save rate).    But how much better is the key to how significantly our team will improve in 2021.
  • Popular Contributors