Jump to content
Frobby

Adam Jones long interview

Recommended Posts

I love Adam Jones, he’s not pretentious he’s not arrogant, he’s human and genuine, and one of the things I tell myself every single day is, “sometimes you suck.” What a great reminder as to how life is. Sometimes you suck, and that’s OK.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Philip said:

I love Adam Jones, he’s not pretentious he’s not arrogant, he’s human and genuine, and one of the things I tell myself every single day is, “sometimes you suck.” What a great reminder as to how life is. Sometimes you suck, and that’s OK.

Lol what a humblebrag.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam will always be one of my favorite Orioles. I wonder who our next Adam Jones will be. Not only from a performance standpoint but from being outspoken and keeping it 💯.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 45 minutes in.  It's a good interview.

I love Adam Jones as much as anyone else.  But he's about 10 years away from being a guy doing commentary on a broadcast and annoying the hell out of the audience like Joe Morgan, Tim McCarver, etc with the "back in my day" type of attitude.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm 45 minutes in.  It's a good interview.

I love Adam Jones as much as anyone else.  But he's about 10 years away from being a guy doing commentary on a broadcast and annoying the hell out of the audience like Joe Morgan, Tim McCarver, etc with the "back in my day" type of attitude.

The thing about Adam Is that he comes across as genuine. He’s not one of these arrogant jerks like “well, you remember that I never gave up a grand slam” Palmer who reminds us every single chance he gets, and shares memories like a king distributes largesse. Adam is just a guy telling stories. I wonder how he’d be as a broadcaster?

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

The thing about Adam Is that he comes across as genuine. He’s not one of these arrogant jerks like “well, you remember that I never gave up a grand slam” Palmer who reminds us every single chance he gets, and shares memories like a king distributes largesse. Adam is just a guy telling stories. I wonder how he’d be as a broadcaster?

Yeah, so I’ve held off telling the story about my interaction w/ Jones, but he’s no longer an Oriole, so....

I posted years ago about a hitting clinic he held at SDSU w/ Harold Reynolds. It was a fun time for me and my daughters taking a road trip from Los Angeles. 

After the clinic was over we, of course, went to see about getting something signed or a picture. We waited patiently as he signed for a number of people and then I approached him to get a picture of him and my girls. He started to lineup to do so and then balked at the idea, saying it would take too much time, at which the expressions of my kids faces visibly dropped. Disappointing to say the least, but I explained it away with some such fatherly bs. 

I never mentioned it in the thread about our trip because I knew there would likely be disbelief or outright anger for me calling out an Oriole player, especially Jones.

After all these years, it wasn't a huge deal, but yes, I lost respect for him.

As far as I know, Palmer has always been great with not only fans, but going out of his way to be available for them. There’s also no one else I’d rather listen to call a game than Jim Palmer. His stories are part of that.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Win 3 Cy Youngs, 3 World Series and a WS game in 3 decades and you can be as arrogant as you want.  

Palmer rules.

I remember listening to a radio interview with Isaiah Thomas, and it was a pretty extensive interview, five or six minutes or so, and almost every other sentence, Isaiah Thomas said, “I’m one of the best of all time.”

Yeah yeah we get it. But if you’re one of the best of all time, you don’t need to constantly be reminding us.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, so I’ve held off telling the story about my interaction w/ Jones, but he’s no longer an Oriole, so....

I posted years ago about a hitting clinic he held at SDSU w/ Harold Reynolds. It was a fun time for me and my daughters taking a road trip from Los Angeles. 

After the clinic was over we, of course, went to see about getting something signed or a picture. We waited patiently as he signed for a number of people and then I approached him to get a picture of him and my girls. He started to lineup to do so and then balked at the idea, saying it would take too much time, at which the expressions of my kids faces visibly dropped. Disappointing to say the least, but I explained it away with some such fatherly bs. 

I never mentioned it in the thread about our trip because I knew there would likely be disbelief or outright anger for me calling out an Oriole player, especially Jones.

After all these years, it wasn't a huge deal, but yes, I lost respect for him.

As far as I know, Palmer has always been great with not only fans, but going out of his way to be available for them. There’s also no one else I’d rather listen to call a game than Jim Palmer. His stories are part of that.

Well, the myth is always larger than the man, And I can certainly imagine him being tired at the end of the day and stopping before he should.
I’m sorry for your story, but that just reminds us, the “sometimes you suck.” Sometimes we are not at our best.

Regarding Palmer, I guess we just react differently, to me he comes across as, “I’m better than you and I know it, and you should.” 

He is the last broadcaster that I would let go of if I were king, but I’d sure sit him down and tell him I never wanna hear him say again that he never gave up a grand slam.

”We know, Jim, so no need to keep saying it.”

Edited by Philip
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Philip said:

Well, the myth is always larger than the man, And I can certainly imagine him being tired at the end of the day and stopping before he should.
I’m sorry for your story, but that just reminds us, the “sometimes you suck.” Sometimes we are not at our best.

Regarding Palmer, I guess we just react differently, to me he comes across as, “I’m better than you and I know it, and you should.” 

He is the last broadcaster that I would let go of if I were king, but I’d sure sit him down and tell him I never wanna hear him say again that he never gave up a grand slam.

”We know, Jim, so no need to keep saying it.”

At least half the time, it’s the play by play guy who brings it up.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Even though the 60'6" has remained the same since 1893, the distance between the average of pitchers' release points and home plate has decreased because pitchers have gotten, on average, taller and longer-limbed. And the decrease over the past, say, 50 years has been significant. (For the same reason, there's also been an effective increase in the height of the mound.) I've seen some estimates, but I can't recall them right now. Nonetheless, I think it's more likely that the effort to produce the same effect will be made by increasing the number of pitches thrown by a pitcher, for example by limiting the number of pitchers used in a game or the number of pitchers on the 26-man roster. Other sports have been much more willing to change basic rules to improve the game: pro football has moved the goalposts, changed the extra-point and kickoff rules, added overtime, and protected quarterbacks and receivers. Basketball introduced the 3-point field goal, widened the lanes and banned zone defenses. Leagues in other sports haven't held their rules as sacrosanct as MLB. It's not practical for them to change the size of their standardized playing surfaces. There have been some suggestions to raise the baskets, and there's been some experimentation with that. At least some of those showed a drop in outside shooting accuracy and an increase in rebounding and the proportion of scoring by big guys -- not the desired effect.
    • Or they need to run it again in 2 weeks!  Lol
    • https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/marlins-attempting-to-trade-jorge-alfaro.html Jorge Alfaro would be a good option.
    • They’re certainly both culpable. I just feel so bad for hitters, though. Their eyes are magnets for little specs of dirt floating around right before the pitch. 
    • Beats me, I dunno. It's my hope that teams get back to a slashing style of play...putting pressure on the defense, more balls in play.  I don't know what analytics and metrics would lead a team to believe that's a good idea but it's nice to think about.   It's the one reason I did like the runner on 2nd to start extra innings.  Forced teams to play small ball, move a runner over, etc.  
    • Sure..but there isn’t a magic button that gets pushed when it’s time to contend.  Just because you want to doesn’t mean you will. So, there is no magic formula on when you contend.  However, learning to win, learning from vets, etc…that is important.  That is needed.  The right players can help with that right now. This is why what I have an issue with.  Some of you feel that just because guys are brought up, that it means we are contenders.  It’s not going to work like that, at least it’s not likely that it will. And then what happens when guys struggle, ala 2021.  Do you just keep pushing things back?  At what point do you say enough is enough? Im There now.  2021 was the year I expected to see real progress but then covid hit and that hurt a team like the Os, perhaps more than most teams.  So, I pushed it back to 2022.  There is no money on the roster.  You have Grayson and Adley, amongst others coming up.  You have trade options and FA that can help the team and not break the bank long term.     I don’t agree with it at all but I can understand why some want to wait.  What I don’t get is why people get all up in arms about those that don’t want to wait and then also say signing guys now ruin anything.  When people say that, it makes me think they either don’t understand what is being done here, don’t understand finances or they don’t believe in the players that are in the organization now.
    • Which I know is technically balls in play, but it's not exactly.
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...