waynebug

MLBTR suggested a Baltimore trade with Miami.

The Marlins fan originally asked if Sanchez and Meyer would get Mullins and Rutschman.

MLBTR then replied no  way for Rutschman.  But Orioles would consider Cedric Mullins to Miami Marlins for righthanders Sixto Sanchez and Max Meyer.  

Both Miami pitchers are considered future aces, especially Meyer.. Sanchez, age 23, was very good in 2020 but had minor surgery last year.

Meyer was the 3rd overall pick in 2020 draft.  Dominated AA this summer. 

If I was Baltimore I'd do this.  If I was Miami I wouldn't.

The Marlins are not a young team starting position player wise outside of Jazz Chisholm, they are all 28-32. However, they do have already a decent young rotation and bullpen in place. Also, they are losing 2/3 of the their starting OF and possibly 3/3 if the Duvall option doesn’t work. 

It would probably really look like Mullins, Santander, Sulser for Sanchez, Meyer, and Sierra. 

This was a question in a MLBTradeRumors chat I think.

But Miami does seem to have a lot of pitching, and they are a contender, so they might well be willing to deal from their surplus and get Mullins.

However, several/ many/most teams are desperate for pitching so Miami can choose their dancing partner.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

This was a question in a MLBTradeRumors chat I think.

But Miami does seem to have a lot of pitching, and they are a contender, so they might well be willing to deal from their surplus and get Mullins.

However, several/ many/most teams are desperate for pitching so Miami can choose their dancing partner.

They’re a contender compared to us, I guess.  They had the sixth-worst record in baseball, 67-95.   

The Marlins need hitting everywhere...Mountcastle and Hays are Florida kids too.

My guess is both clubs aren't really ready in 2022 (I know one isn't), so another year of data on how pieces fit useful info for Elias and Ng.  Especially from Orioles position, TINSTAAPP, etc.

But as the two teams get good, there's probably a big pot to be played between the two GM's, as the Orioles position college bats are best bets for intrinsic value gets some real world road testing.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Made the playoffs in 2020.

Shrug.  Short season fluke, in my opinion.  Just like our 25-35 was a short season fluke.  They outperformed their Pythag by five games in a 60-game season.   Their Pythag projected out to a 70-win season over 162 games.   This year’s Pythag actually was a little better at 72-90.

That said, the NL East is pretty weak so it might not take much for Miami to become a contender.   

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Made the playoffs in 2020.

I think even Trey, John, Anthony and a couple dozen pre-arbs might have a run at AL8 in them next year.

Just need 7 teams worse than the Adley/Grayson hit ground running mode Orioles: Red Sox, Guardians, Twins, Royals, Tigers, A's, Rangers.   Boom, roll the dice.

I hope Playoff Expansion takes the shape of 7-game divisional series and/or 9-game World Series - I'd really rather see the Dodgers and Astros battle more than have 150 games of warm-up for every .505 team in the land.    I think they are going to mess up wildcard fun by making it Best of 3.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Shrug.  Short season fluke, in my opinion.  Just like our 25-35 was a short season fluke.  They outperformed their Pythag by five games in a 60-game season.   Their Pythag projected out to a 70-win season over 162 games.   This year’s Pythag actually was a little better at 72-90.

That said, the NL East is pretty weak so it might not take much for Miami to become a contender.   

Not suggesting they are what I would consider a contender but their success in 2020 combined with the division they are in could convince them they can compete in 2022.