Just Regular

Waiver Claim? - Edwin Uceta

As a general rule, I am not the board's biggest fan of these threads.

But I think it is a fair Look Closer exception if it is a 23-year-old Dodger who has made the show, and is just getting on/near to the wire because Justin Turner's leg gave out and that club has to adapt to avoid playing a man down with their season on the line.

(Also, Friedman still didn't pick David Price.)

Where my rules knowledge runs out is if this guy has to go through the National League, or if the game 162 gift from Meat Sauce means we have first dibs.   And if Designated for Assignment even means he's out there yet; in view of these circumstances, could imagine some club offering the Dodgers a little something for him.   Have we got any cash considerations lying around?

At a glance his Age-21 2019 season in the minors included being very good at AA.   Fangraphs Longenhagen on their BOARD has him a FV 40 (#33 on the Dodgers list); he rates Orioles 40's 18th-31st in org, including Rom and Stallings.

I hope one day we have to DFA anyone in Rom's ballpark for a circumstance like this.

• Upvote 1

I believe the current rule is that we get first dibs even though LA is in the NL. We lost out to the D'backs on AJ Wendelken (who was DFA'd by Oakland) because at that time, the D'backs had a worse record than we did.

And yes, I agree he would be a good acquisition for the O's.

Edited by rm5678

From MLB TR:

"The Dodgers will place Uceta on waivers over the coming days. Between his prospect pedigree, youth, and bat-missing abilities, Uceta could be an appealing flier for another club. He still has two minor league option years remaining, meaning any claiming team could shuttle Uceta back-and-forth between the majors and Triple-A through the end of the 2023 season if he sticks on their 40-man roster."

Edited by rm5678
  • Upvote 1

I bet the Dodgers have eyes on Orioles Orange and Black at the lowest levels.   Maybe we can do the near impossible and trade an outfielder for a pitcher!

I kind of feel like this story might end with his acquirer getting him for cash considerations, which I figure will be undisclosed.   Turner's leg has created a bit of a bubble in which a credible prospect might basically be up for straight sale.   The Dodgers front office, depth and all, has a busy weekend if their bullpenners can beat Fried tonight.   Cash is easy to assess.

I'm sure the Lords of the Realm just loved it that time Yusniel broke outside the system, and the world got one peek at what the free market would actually bear for a player of Diaz's then-perceived caliber.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

As a general rule, I am not the board's biggest fan of these threads.

But I think it is a fair Look Closer exception if it is a 23-year-old Dodger who has made the show, and is just getting on/near to the wire because Justin Turner's leg gave out and that club has to adapt to avoid playing a man down with their season on the line.

(Also, Friedman still didn't pick David Price.)

Where my rules knowledge runs out is if this guy has to go through the National League, or if the game 162 gift from Meat Sauce means we have first dibs.   And if Designated for Assignment even means he's out there yet; in view of these circumstances, could imagine some club offering the Dodgers a little something for him.   Have we got any cash considerations lying around?

At a glance his Age-21 2019 season in the minors included being very good at AA.   Fangraphs Longenhagen on their BOARD has him a FV 40 (#33 on the Dodgers list); he rates Orioles 40's 18th-31st in org, including Rom and Stallings.

I hope one day we have to DFA anyone in Rom's ballpark for a circumstance like this.

I’m unclear why Turner being injured would lead to a pitcher being Designated?

I think during the season the waiver process goes by league, so the Dbacks would have First crack at any NL player?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m unclear why Turner being injured would lead to a pitcher being Designated?

I think during the season the waiver process goes by league, so the Dbacks would have First crack at any NL player?

I think the Dodgers didn't have a backup infielder on their 40 they wanted for the Game 5 (6/7??) temp job, so they had to tell the world who their 40th man is/was to get Andy Burns onto their bench.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think the Dodgers didn't have a backup infielder on their 40 they wanted for the Game 5 (6/7??) temp job, so they had to tell the world who their 40th man is/was to get Andy Burns onto their bench.

Gotcha, thanks!

I looked them up and read the article at MLB trade rumors. He has a very high walk rate, and we’ve already got Tanner Scott who also has very high walk rate, and throws much harder in this guy, I don’t mind picking him up, but he doesn’t seem like the guy she wants to take home to introduce to dad.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I looked them up and read the article at MLB trade rumors. He has a very high walk rate, and we’ve already got Tanner Scott who also has very high walk rate, and throws much harder in this guy, I don’t mind picking him up, but he doesn’t seem like the guy she wants to take home to introduce to dad.

True, but he does have an impressive out pitch with his changeup, and his fastball might play up as a reliever.  Seems like he has a good chance to succeed as a middle reliever.    

I was at MLB trade rumors, and there were already 3-4 Articles about this team or the team out-righting players or designating players, And once the season ends, there’s no distinction between leagues, and the Orioles get first crack at everybody so I’m sure we’re going to get some upgrades.

13 hours ago, panick said:

Let's not get too excited about this guy. Remember the guys the O's got in the trade for Machado.

You mean Pop, who Elias then deemed not good enough to protect. 

For a guy who can build a good farm system Elias has a pretty spotty record on waiver claims.  I have zero faith he will put in a claim here.  

Just now, Camden_yardbird said:

You mean Pop, who Elias then deemed not good enough to protect. 

For a guy who can build a good farm system Elias has a pretty spotty record on waiver claims.  I have zero faith he will put in a claim here.  

I'm pro Pop but he did put up a .1 rWAR and a .3 fWAR last season.  It isn't as if he looks to be a real difference maker out of the pen.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pro Pop but he did put up a .1 rWAR and a .3 fWAR last season.  It isn't as if he looks to be a real difference maker out of the pen.

Some guys he chose to keep over Pop put up negative WAR and/or may never be MLB pitchers...