Jump to content
Tony-OH

2021 Orioles #4 Prospect - Colton Cowser - OF

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Honestly by the write up, I’m surprised he isn’t ranked a little lower. 
 

After reading this, I think it becomes even more obvious why Mayo is at 3.

I'm not sure what you expected. Great hit tool. Advanced command of the strike zone. Able to play all 3 outfield positions, but most likely a CoF. Fine arm. Needs to hit for more power. 

I basically see him having Markakis value because he'll get to more balls in the OF but with fewer assists. Very similar hitter. I'm very happy to have him.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not sure what you expected. Great hit tool. Advanced command of the strike zone. Able to play all 3 outfield positions, but most likely a CoF. Fine arm. Needs to hit for more power. 

I basically see him having Markakis value because he'll get to more balls in the OF but with fewer assists. Very similar hitter. I'm very happy to have him.

I think Brandon Nimmo is the best comp for him I've seen. Nearly identical size, handedness, and profile (only major difference being HS vs. NCAA draftees)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not sure what you expected. Great hit tool. Advanced command of the strike zone. Able to play all 3 outfield positions, but most likely a CoF. Fine arm. Needs to hit for more power. 

I basically see him having Markakis value because he'll get to more balls in the OF but with fewer assists. Very similar hitter. I'm very happy to have him.

Just seemed to have a little bit of a negative tone to it.  Not that I disagree with what was said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sports Guy said:

Just seemed to have a little bit of a negative tone to it.  Not that I disagree with what was said.

Funny. Read positive to me. Sounds like his OF reads aren't stellar, but has enough mobility and arm to play any outfield position. Great hitter with a .490 OBP this year. Just not much power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Funny. Read positive to me. Sounds like his OF reads aren't stellar, but has enough mobility and arm to play any outfield position. Great hitter with a .490 OBP this year. Just not much power. 

Yea..I read it as a future COer with questionable power.  May not be the best combo.

That being said, Markakis seems like a good comp (without his arm) and you obviously would be happy with that.

Two things used to always drive me crazy about Nick:

1). His Ba/OBP should have been higher. 
 

2). To go along with #1, Markakis would always have at least one really prolonged slump at some point, usually in the first half of the year iirc, that hurt his numbers.  I always felt he was too good of a hitter for that to be the case.

He should have competed for batting titles every once in a while and his OBP should have flirted in the 380-400 range more often.

Hopefully Cowser can do that.  His profile seems to indicate he could.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Markakis only had a couple of 20+ HR years, he was a doubles machine and that was valuable. Plus his command of the strike zone really made the pitcher work in the first inning countless times. We really missed that approach when he left.

I do like the Nimmo comp too. Guy had a 132 OPS+ last year. Markakis only had one year above that. 

All of this is to say that Markakis seems like a great comp to me, but not a ceiling. Either way, the lower risk profile combined with his projections makes for a very nice #4 prospect. 

Is that what you want out of the #5 overall pick? Now that's a different question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

While Markakis only had a couple of 20+ HR years, he was a doubles machine and that was valuable. Plus his command of the strike zone really made the pitcher work in the first inning countless times. We really missed that approach when he left.

I do like the Nimmo comp too. Guy had a 132 OPS+ last year. Markakis only had one year above that. 

All of this is to say that Markakis seems like a great comp to me, but not a ceiling. Either way, the lower risk profile combined with his projections makes for a very nice #4 prospect. 

Is that what you want out of the #5 overall pick? Now that's a different question.

They should have taken Lawlar..although I say that and don’t know what the medicals were on him.  It’s hard for me to believe that the labrum wasn’t a known issue and maybe the physicals were questioning his long term prognosis as a hitter, especially Power, with the injury.  If so, I can see going away from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt Elias would have taken Cowser #5 if he didn't believe he would develop into a 25 homer guy.  I don't think 150 PA in the low minors changes that.   If a swing adjustment is required to reach his power I expect they will work on that.    I think Cowser starts at Aberdeen next spring.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he develops into a guy who can play a good LF, hit lots of line drives in the gaps, get on base and run well then he doesn’t really need to hit a lot of home runs to be a success. Sounds like a future 1/2 hitter to me. Let Mayo drive him in 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Elias would have taken Cowser #5 if he didn't believe he would develop into a 25 homer guy.  I don't think 150 PA in the low minors changes that.   If a swing adjustment is required to reach his power I expect they will work on that.    I think Cowser starts at Aberdeen next spring.

I think he starts at Aberdeen as well but that's a poor move.  He has no business being in A ball at his age if he is as advanced as they have let us to believe.  He's going to go to Aberdeen and struggle to hit for power and have a good BA and OBP.  He will basically be the same player we saw in Delmarva playing against similar competition (i.e., the guys he faced in low A will not be in high A).  Just put him in Bowie and let him go.  Keep him there for the first half of the season and see what happens next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he starts at Aberdeen as well but that's a poor move.  He has no business being in A ball at his age if he is as advanced as they have let us to believe.  He's going to go to Aberdeen and struggle to hit for power and have a good BA and OBP.  He will basically be the same player we saw in Delmarva playing against similar competition (i.e., the guys he faced in low A will not be in high A).  Just put him in Bowie and let him go.  Keep him there for the first half of the season and see what happens next.

Though I think he starts a Aberdeen I think he could move up fast.   Maybe after two months.  I expect  Cowser to add muscle to his frame this off season.  I don't think age has much to do with it.  He will play next season at 22.  And he could end the season at AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Cardinals were smart enough not to resign Pujols when he hit his 30’s knowing he would never be able to match the production from the first decade of his career. With the way the Orioles have operated during the Angelos era they almost certainly resign a player of that caliber. It’s a mistake you can’t make when you’re not the Yankees or Dodgers. The Cardinals usually avoid these kind of crippling moves and that keeps them competitive. With Elias hopefully we see that with the O’s. 
    • Marte, who may considered the best CF option via FA, was just signed by the Mets.
    • On the contrary, it is completely true. The team will have ebbs and flows, based on random chance And misfortune such as is happening to Kjested right now, But if you avoid long-term contracts, all of which are stupid, trade your guys at peak value and restock the farm, and there’s no reason why you can’t continually be a positive team. The Cardinals do it and they never have a single digit draft choice they always draft in the high teens, and yet they still have a good team over and over.
    • Going into 2009, Tillman was BA’s no. 22 prospect, Matusz no. 25, Arrieta no. 67.   Britton wasn’t ranked yet but was no. 63 the next year.  Brad Bergesen was the reigning Eastern League pitcher of the year.   David Hernandez had led the league. In strikeouts.   So, it was a more impressive group than your post suggests.   
    • Even worse living with the knowledge that Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr. could have been the Orioles owner all this time, but thanks to Peter Angelos outbidding him it never happened. 
    • Nothing happens til it happens, but can we glean anything meaningful from what the insiders say?   ”Listening to offers” means nothing. Does anyone NOT listen to offers? However, that’s probably indicates less interest than a term like… ”Dangling.” What does that mean? Is GM A calling up GM B and saying,” hey, I got this hot guy, and he can be yours! All I need is XX.” Is GM A being coy and hitting that MAAAAAAYBE he’ll listen…? Regardless, it probably indicates more desire to trade, but maybe not as much as… “Eager to deal” or “seeking the best matchup” which is where GM A is calling up everyone in the Rolodex and saying,” Have I got a deal for you! AND if you ACT NOW…no? Well, how about……etc etc” All  those terms indicate at least partially dealing from a position of “I don’t have to” “I’m in no hurry” “if you don’t, someone else will,” and so on. But pity the guys who… ”Are willing to eat most of the contract…” the fools who rush in, and then find it veeeeery expensive to rush back out.. poor San Diego would be less poor if they hadn’t flung all that cash at Mr Hosmer, but they did, and he has been smiling ever since…and they..” are willing to eat most of his contract” Anyway, where does that leave the Orioles? We’re listening. Sure we are. Everyone listens except your cat in the backyard who doesn’t want to come in yet. We are “dangling”…. That means we’re listening a bit more earnestly, but still it’s our call. Nothing will happen unless it’s very good for the Bmore boys. So let’s see what kind of horse trader Mike is, and what can he bring home in return for the shiny bauble he is dangling…
    • I think we are going to have to get some favorable results from our own young pitchers to improve significantly in 2022. Last year was a bottom 20% outcome in that regard compared to the range of possible outcomes from that group.    If things break the other way in 2022 we could see a lot more wins.   But you can’t just expect that to happen given their performance to date.   
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...