Jump to content
Moose Milligan

I'm already over this offseason.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Also, just want to point out that it is literally not even Thanksgiving yet.

While I doubt that Elias will make many big moves this offseason, there's still a ton of off-season left, and there's going to be a lockout in December. So you could argue the time is now to make moves, but so many other teams haven't done anything yet also. I just think it's really early to be saying the off-season is a wash. It may ultimately be that for a lot of people, but IMO no one can say that for sure just yet. 

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, homie.  Our offseason is off to a typical start for us; sitting on the sidelines, watching other teams make deals.   

I was initially going to say that it's good teams that are out and front and making offers, but that's not the case.  Like the Angels and Syndergaard....you can say what you want about that contract and that player but the Angels at least know that they need to do something.  They've got Trout, they've got Ohtani and a bad farm system.  At least they're making moves, at least they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle with a guy like Syndergaard.  

Ed-Rod to the Tigers, 5/77, are you kidding?  Come ON, we could have done that.  And the Tigers blow, but at least they're trying.

Matz to the Cardinals.  

Tampa locking up Wander.

Other teams are operating like the impending lockout is no big deal.  

Look man, I've smelled this fart before.  It smells all too familiar. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I would doubt it considering he was considerably worse in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st (.791 OPS in the 1st half and .711 OPS in the 2nd despite having a higher BABIP in the 2nd half) and looked a bit slower as the season wore on.  And I think he'd love to get one extra year in the contract - it could make a huge difference in retirement planning for his family, but I doubt the O's will be willing to give him a 2nd year  other than a team option.    

In my opinion, he was tired after recovering from chemo and then spending all last winter working back into playing shape.  He pretty such said as much on MLB TV earlier this week.   I think he’ll be stronger in the second half next year.   But that’s just my hopeful guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So are you saying that any FA pitcher we spend in the 4/44 range is automatically going to end up like Ubaldo and Cobb? 

I'm saying this one probably would.

And I'm not sure that any 4/44 guy is going to make the difference between us and the playoffs next season.

So hold the money until it will

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So are you saying that any FA pitcher we spend in the 4/44 range is automatically going to end up like Ubaldo and Cobb?  Seems like you're implying that two bad FA contracts in that range would mean that any FA contract in that range would automatically end up like them.

And @Sports Guyis right.  4/44 shouldn't sink practically any franchise in this day and age.

You could sign multiple of those guys and it shouldn’t sink you…at least if you run your organization properly.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, homie.  Our offseason is off to a typical start for us; sitting on the sidelines, watching other teams make deals.   

I was initially going to say that it's good teams that are out and front and making offers, but that's not the case.  Like the Angels and Syndergaard....you can say what you want about that contract and that player but the Angels at least know that they need to do something.  They've got Trout, they've got Ohtani and a bad farm system.  At least they're making moves, at least they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle with a guy like Syndergaard.  

Ed-Rod to the Tigers, 5/77, are you kidding?  Come ON, we could have done that.  And the Tigers blow, but at least they're trying.

Matz to the Cardinals.  

Tampa locking up Wander.

Other teams are operating like the impending lockout is no big deal.  

Look man, I've smelled this fart before.  It smells all too familiar. 

 

 

Or they are trying to get guys locked up before the rules break in favor of the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, homie.  Our offseason is off to a typical start for us; sitting on the sidelines, watching other teams make deals.   

I was initially going to say that it's good teams that are out and front and making offers, but that's not the case.  Like the Angels and Syndergaard....you can say what you want about that contract and that player but the Angels at least know that they need to do something.  They've got Trout, they've got Ohtani and a bad farm system.  At least they're making moves, at least they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle with a guy like Syndergaard.  

Ed-Rod to the Tigers, 5/77, are you kidding?  Come ON, we could have done that.  And the Tigers blow, but at least they're trying.

Matz to the Cardinals.  

Tampa locking up Wander.

Other teams are operating like the impending lockout is no big deal.  

Look man, I've smelled this fart before.  It smells all too familiar. 

 

 

Ed-Rod was the contract that I wish the O's had tried to beat.  And getting him early could have given the team some credibility - as an organization that was genuinely making an effort to improve.  We could certainly have beaten that 5/77 contract.  Kudos to Detroit for wasting no time and getting him so quickly.  My guess is we made zero effort whatsoever.  Granted, it's a long offseason, and opportunities will come up, but it seemed like an opportunity ready for the taking.  At least Detroit thought so.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, he was tired after recovering from chemo and then spending all last winter working back into playing shape.  He pretty such said as much on MLB TV earlier this week.   I think he’ll be stronger in the second half next year.   But that’s just my hopeful guess.

And he had the oblique injury at the end of the year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You could sign multiple of those guys and it shouldn’t sink you…at least if you run your organization properly.

If you sign multiples of those guys, then you clearly are not running your organization properly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm saying this one probably would.

And I'm not sure that any 4/44 guy is going to make the difference between us and the playoffs next season.

So hold the money until it will

So if the Os win 68 games in 2022, you think that player makes a difference in 2023?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, he was tired after recovering from chemo and then spending all last winter working back into playing shape.  He pretty such said as much on MLB TV earlier this week.   I think he’ll be stronger in the second half next year.   But that’s just my hopeful guess.

 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And he had the oblique injury at the end of the year.

Am I the only fan out there that wants the players on the team to ask for time off if they are so fatigued it is hurting their play or if they are injured?

Trey, no one is going to hold it against you if you take a few days off.  I'd rather you be rested and play well than be a tough guy and play poorly.

Honestly it's on the manager for not making the decision for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, owknows said:

If you sign multiples of those guys, then you clearly are not running your organization properly

Not necessarily.  Guys get hurt.  Guys underperform.

Generally speaking, I agree that those guys aren’t usually going to perform well enough to justify the deal.

However, having professional guys who can eat innings at the back of the rotation has value as well.  If we don’t develop pitching but we do develop hitting, having guys like that could be important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, he was tired after recovering from chemo and then spending all last winter working back into playing shape.  He pretty such said as much on MLB TV earlier this week.   I think he’ll be stronger in the second half next year.   But that’s just my hopeful guess.

I hope you're right, but I think the decline during the season makes it unlikely.  Also, he's had only one season where he approached an .850 OPS.  

Also, I think it's highly unlikely we get anything in trade for him - looking at the 4 trades the Braves made at the deadline getting useful outfielders that contributed mightily to their WS win - none of them cost them anything of significance.

Best of luck to Trey, and I hope I'm wrong.  

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So if the Os win 68 games in 2022, you think that player makes a difference in 2023?  

The deeper we get into the restocking process, the more vet FA's will make a difference.

22? 23? 24? I don't have a crystal ball... but if you asked me when we will have enough graduating talent to take the restraints off... I'd say probably 23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Ed-Rod was the contract that I wish the O's had tried to beat.  And getting him early could have given the team some credibility - as an organization that was genuinely making an effort to improve.  We could certainly have beaten that 5/77 contract.  Kudos to Detroit for wasting no time and getting him so quickly.  My guess is we made zero effort whatsoever.  Granted, it's a long offseason, and opportunities will come up, but it seemed like an opportunity ready for the taking.  At least Detroit thought so.  

Exactly.  100%.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • There is a Maryland basketball forum elsewhere on this website.   It’s worth discussing but really should be posted there.   
    • Overall, OPS is a better measure of offense than OBP by itself.   It just isn’t as good as it could be because it puts too much weight on the SLG component.   
    • You listed 17 schools, plus the 12 schools I listed.  That's 29.  I think Maryland is definitively better than Iowa, FSU, USC, TAMU, and Tennessee.  And Alabama as well.  I could make a case for a few others on that list as well to put it inside the top 20, but I could go either way on those.    Regardless I think that top-25 is the absolute floor for MD in terms of HC destination.  I think that is different from saying Maryland is a top-25 program.  Most of those programs have more recent success than Maryland, but for a prospective coach, potential matters as well, and Maryland's potential is sky-high.
    • Not bad. Here's mine: CF Mullins 2B Urias 1B Mountcastle RF Santander DH Mancini C Adley LF Hays 3B Odor SS Mateo
    • No offense but this is a really bad line of thinking and a poor way to build an offense. Luckily it seems like the Os understand this and are valuing OBP With the younger guys they are drafting and bringing into the organization.
    • Well, I’m sure Mancini is being tested regularly and is well aware of the risk of recurrence.    I’d say a recurrence this soon is not very likely, but of course I’m no doctor and don’t know any of the specifics about Mancini.   Praying for the best.   
    • Why is Maryland definitely a better job than any of these schools: Auburn (they are a top 5 team in terms of NBA talent right now), Florida, Syracuse, Texas, OSU, Oregon, Purdue, Wisconsin, Baylor, Tenn, Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Fl St, USC and Texas A&M Thats to name a few.  You have some schools like Alabama that are getting better and better as well. The biggest MD has going for them bs some of those schools is that MD isn’t a football school.  No one cares about their football program. That can be a detriment in big football schools. But overall, I don’t see how MD is a better than any of those schools.  You can say it’s on par with a lot of them but not definitively better.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...