orioles119

Help! Rejected Engagement Ring!

Why are you not engaged as soon as the two of you have had the conversation where you decided to get married? Is the material gift the thing that makes it official?

I prefer to think of it as tradition and respect. Just because you've discussed it doesn't mean I would assume she can't change her mind.

What kind of ring are you getting for Tex? :D

Priceless. It will have to be something Tex can easily hide from his wife, wouldn't want her finding out.

BTW, I like SG's suggestion to get ideas from her. I figured out generally what types of center stones she liked and that she didn't like solitaires, and I went from there. I knew she was a classy broad so I went with a very timeless, elegant setting. She loves it, I win. :laughlol:

There's a problem... I have no idea where to go to sell the ring.

A glorified pawn shop basically (calls itself a jewelry and clock repair shop) quoted me $450 and so far, that's the only place that buys rings.

I'm trying this online place called http://www.idonowidont.com to see if that leads somewhere. I've looked up rings on Ebay and the prices are depressing and I don't want to do that.

Your not really going to find anywhere in the Salisbury area to give you a good price for jewelry. There used to be a jewlery store on the plaza that sold on consignment but I think they closed up.

I prefer to think of it as tradition and respect. Just because you've discussed it doesn't mean I would assume she can't change her mind.

There's also a huge element of thought and care and effort that goes into planning how to do it, which can be appreciated more than the jewelry.

Can some people make it far too contrived for no particularly good reason? Sure.

I'm confused... back in May you started a thread seeking advice on buying a ring for your long suffering wife...

you said then:

My wife has been married to me for 25 years so she deserves some kind of medal. I just want her to finally have something nice. I see a lot of women wearing big diamonds and she certainly shouldn't take a back seat to any of them.

It sounds like you had a different story about your "long suffering wife" back then. If she's such a shrew.. why were you saying "she shouldn't have to take a back seat to anyone" in the ring department???

You ask a very valid question. At the time I was trying with every ounce of might to give her the benefit of the doubt and sincerely hoped that maybe, just maybe getting her a truly special anniversary diamond might rekindle things and give her some small reward or comfort from our union.

However, when I actually brought it up to her I was met with vitriole. I guess you could say I was living in dreamland at the time I posted that or the Land of Wishful thinking.

A lot of times for my own sanity I do blame myself for as she likes to remind me, she wasn't always like this.

Edited by Old#5fan

It sounds like his situation got worse after he tried to buy the ring, for one thing.

But who really knows what's real.

Exactly. I was practicing positive or more like wishful thinking at the time.

Your last sentence is a valid observation as well. My wife sees me as making her unhappy. I see myself as not being able to do anything right in her eyes and it makes me extremely sad that she is so disenchanted. Apparently, we may both be right.

Edited by Old#5fan

Man, this thread has a little of everything. And I had no idea JTrea has a wife. This is destined for classic status.

Man...we hang out on a message board for a last team. We're all obviously cool enough to have wives...;)

• Upvote 1

Average us around $2800 in most places...We rarely sell one under 5000 grand though...Most of our customers buy bigger/higher end rings.

Except ME!

Man am I cheap!

At least it had some meaning dammit!!!!

Man, this thread has a little of everything. And I had no idea JTrea has a wife. This is destined for classic status.

Is this like that commercial?

"You have a boat?"

"You're MARRIED!?!"

• Upvote 1

Is this like that commercial?

"You have a boat?"

"You're MARRIED!?!"

Are those the Cerrano commercials where he says, "Are you in good hanDDDSSS?"

Why does he say it all weird??

Except ME!

Man am I cheap!

Not cheap at all....You should only buy what you can afford...Plus, sometimes the girl doesn't want a huge diamond.

What you got is great quality. May not be huge but it was a good size and better quality than 95% of the rings out there.

You ask a very valid question. At the time I was trying with every ounce of might to give her the benefit of the doubt and sincerely hoped that maybe, just maybe getting her a truly special anniversary diamond might rekindle things and give her some small reward or comfort from our union.

However, when I actually brought it up to her I was met with vitriole. I guess you could say I was living in dreamland at the time I posted that or the Land of Wishful thinking.

A lot of times for my own sanity I do blame myself for as she likes to remind me, she wasn't always like this.

I know we clash a lot but I'm truly sorry to read this. Everybody...EVERYBODY deserves to be happy.

Edited by Pedro Cerrano

Good thread. Well, not GOOD, but an interesting read.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Jim. Sounds like you need to talk it out. Miscommunication perhaps?

This thread is also giving me food for thought for when I decide to propose to my girlfriend. Rob, you should be hearing from me before 2010! :D

Except ME!

Man am I cheap!

Haha! Me as well. I'm looking at some of these prices people are throwing out and I'm amazed. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• Upvote 1