orioles119

Help! Rejected Engagement Ring!

It's no different than driving a 2009 BMW over a 1989 Cavalier. It's just transportation, right? Some people like nicer stuff.

I don't judge what others spend their money on, and I don't care what anyone thinks about what I spend mine own.

It is different in the sense that what car you drive affects your day to day life a lot more than what ring you bought your now wife. Now like I said in my last post, many go overboard on cars and on things in general, but I don't feel like a car in general is a waste of money, I do pretty much feel that way about a ring.

But as you say, people can do what they want.

I suppose things like diamond rings can seem to be the ultimate in conspicuous consumption...

And clearly some people go way overboard (admittedly by a subjective standard)

Do we need diamond rings to survive? No. Do we need art to survive? Biologically speaking no.

But ever since man swung out of the trees and began walking upright he's been making beautiful things to "feed his spirit."

And while we don't "need" art and music... can you imagine a world without them?

Admittedly I'm a bit conflicted on this... Donald Trump's brand of conspicuous consumption makes me cringe... but I guess it... like beauty... is all in the eye of the beholder.

• Upvote 1

I mean this with the outmost respect for your honesty, but this post just turned this thread into a classic. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry while reading this post, but honestly, it sounds like a great sitcom.

You are spot on. I once described my marriage to my barber as quite similar to Ray Barone's on the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond only my wife is about 5 times more erratic and nasty than Deborah when she gets wound up, which is usually at some point every day and all weekend long except in church. Also, our marraige is not nearly as funny as the sitcom. It is like a much meaner version.

The matter came up in discussion because by barber also cut my wife's ex-husband's hair and had heard stories about her from him. He was very puzzled as to how I could have married her. Of course, he never saw my wife who is a tall, statuesque blond who once when we met Miss America at a social gathering years ago, I noted that she had nothing on my wife as far as appearances go! Had my barber ever seen her, he would have understood.

This scenario has caused me to reflect on a possible theory that the more beautiful a woman is physically the more likely she is not to be so nice personally. However, I must admit this is solely based on my own jaded first hand experience. I know if I would ever marry again I would go for niceness first and looks a distant second. Of course having morphed into an overweight, 50 something average looking Joe, I would be lucky to find any woman willing. I do have all my teeth, and not quite sporting the George Costanza look just yet.:laughlol:

Edited by Old#5fan

You are spot on. I once described my marriage to my barber as quite similar to Ray Barone's on the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond only my wife is about 5 times more erratic and nasty than Deborah when she gets wound up, which is usually at some point every day and all weekend long except in church. Also, our marraige is not nearly as funny as the sitcom. It is like a much meaner version.

The matter came up in discussion because by barber also cut my wife's ex-husband's hair and had heard stories about her from him. He was very puzzled as to how I could have married her. Of course, he never saw my wife who is a tall, statuesque blond who once when we met Miss America at a social gathering years ago, I noted that she had nothing on my wife as far as appearances go! Had my barber ever seen her, he would have understood.

This scenario has caused me to reflect on a possible theory that the more beautiful a woman is physically the more likely she is not to be so nice personally. However, I must admit this is solely based on my own jaded first hand experience. I know if I would ever marry again I would go for niceness first and looks a distant second. Of course having morphed into an overweight, 50 something average looking Joe, I would be lucky to find any woman willing. I do have all my teeth, and not quite sporting the George Costanza look just yet.:laughlol:

That's got to put you in a significant advantage in West Virginia. :D

QUOTE=Tony-OH;1538025]That's got to put you in a significant advantage in West Virginia. :D

Yes, but all my cousins live out of state!:laughlol:

Edited by Old#5fan
  • Upvote 2

QUOTE=Tony-OH;1538025]That's got to put you in a significant advantage in West Virginia. :D

Yes, but all my cousins live out of state!:laughlol

OldFan is reeking havoc on this board of late. Touche OldFan.

A wedding band would have to be custom made to fit flush with that ring.
That's what I thought might be the case.

My last bit of advice then is for O119 to take the GF to the jeweler and let her try on both rings, with the wedding band. If she insists on her ring, and a custom band to boot, well.......................

Oh I would...People piss money away like crazy.

Why buy a 30K car when you can get one for 5K?

A car is a vital component of most peoples lives as transportation is a necessity. Since we spend so much time in the car I think it is appropriate to spend the extra money to make that space comfortable, enjoyable, and functional for your needs.

Why go out to dinner 3 nights a week when you can eat at home for 1/20 the price?

Some peoples work schedules do not allow them the time to cook every night. Furthermore, we need to eat to survive.

Why buy name brand clothes when you can get the same thing without the name attached to it?

Because people care about image, but again, at least clothes are something we need to keep us warm and depending on our job a certain quality and image are demanded.

Why buy season tickets when you can watch the games for free on TV?

Those are two completely different ways to experience the game, they are not comparable at all.

In general, people are morons when it comes to money...They have no clue as to how to handle it, invest it, save it or spend it wisely. That is the reality of this country and why we are in such trouble.

Diamonds are a luxury, there is no doubt about it.

Unlike the things mentioned above, a diamond serves no functional purpose. If you understand that people waste money on non-functional things and that's part of the reason our country is in trouble, why work in an industry that supports these bad habits?

Not trying to bust your balls, well I am, but you're clearly an intelligent person and I'm curious about your rationale. Is it just, consumers like dumb stuff so if I can make a living giving them what they want why not?

That's what I thought might be the case.

My last bit of advice then is for O119 to take the GF to the jeweler and let her try on both rings, with the wedding band. If she insists on her ring, and a custom band to boot, well.......................

When I proposed here's what I did.

First of all - we basically talked over the course of several months about the idea of getting married - so we both knew we wanted to. We even talked about the kind of ring she wanted... we went by a couple of stores for her to look at rings... "just in case we ever did decided to get married."

I then had a ring designed based on what she said she liked. It was a 2 ct. round diamond flanked by a round sapphire on each side. The wedding band had alternating saphhires and diamonds.

I then chose the time and place of the proposal to give her the ring... so the element of surprise was still there. She loved the ring and she loved the fact that I had it made for her. But I wasn't just "flying blind" on that since we had looked at rings together and I had a good idea about what she liked.

I don't know about diamonds as investments... ideally... you're never going to sell it... but she's gonna have it on her finger, presumably, for the rest of her life... so make it something special.

Postscript - We did divorce after 11 years... but still remain good friends and talk pretty much everyday. While there are things to regret the ring buying process wasn't one of them. I enjoyed doing it and she enjoyed getting it.

I went to about every place in town - but settled on a family owned business that had been around forever. I continue to buy stuff from them to this day...

Precisely.

It is what it is.

Mweb just doesn't believe in an expensive ring...There is nothing wrong with that and anyone who would jump on him for it is wrong.

There are plenty of people out there who have the means to buy what they want but they don't buy things they view as stupid or a waste of money.

That is fine. Really, it is smart.

Its all about figuring out how much money you can afford to spend on personal comforts. If you can take care of all your responsibilities, put a nice chunk away as savings, and still have a decent amount left over for entertainment and luxuries, why not spend it? Life's too short.

Unlike the things mentioned above, a diamond serves no functional purpose. If you understand that people waste money on non-functional things and that's part of the reason our country is in trouble, why work in an industry that supports these bad habits?
A diamond serves the same type of purpose as fancy clothes, or expensive art. Or paying someone to decorate your house.

Aesthetics are certainly a luxury, but if you can afford it, and they make you feel happy, why not splurge? I don't think people should have to feel guilty about the things that give them enjoyment.

A diamond serves the same type of purpose as fancy clothes, or expensive art. Or paying someone to decorate your house.

Aesthetics are certainly a luxury, but if you can afford it, and they make you feel happy, why not splurge? I don't think people should have to feel guilty about the things that give them enjoyment.

Agreed, which is why, with very rare exceptions, 50% of every pay check I earn goes towards crack, hookers and sour patch kids.

• Upvote 3