orioles119

Help! Rejected Engagement Ring!

Word. So much word. I get all the warnings here about how her behavior is a red light, but how about the fact that you picked out a ring for her to wear for the rest of her life without giving her input? I'm not saying the ring should be the most important thing. Not even a little bit. I'd way rather get, like, engagement season tickets than an engagement ring. But you're committing to spend the rest of your life with a woman where presumably you will share and discuss and work on everything together, but you just spend thousands of dollars on a piece of jewelry she needs to wear every single day for the rest of her life and you don't understand why she wants to help make the decision?

Maybe she is shallow. Maybe this is a warning sign. Maybe all of those things. It's tough to know without actually knowing you two. But maybe buying a ring without her is just as big an issue.

It's just the romantic tradition versus evolving culture thing. The last generation that's how they did things, it was all about the surprise and they were happy with what they got, in this generation it's more about it being permanent and having both people have input and decision making. It's like it used to be "a girl is so lucky to have a guy propose", and now with women being more independent, successful, and it's treated like more of a partnership.

Another problem is that some girls get this grand depiction of their wedding when they are little, and by the time they are actually old enough to think about weddings, they have it all planned out and just insert whatever guy happens to come along. I know girls with the ring, dress, cake, location and wedding party picked out before they MEET a guy. It's usually the girls like this that have trouble accepting any deviation (not saying yours is like that O119, just that the situation reminds me of a couple girls that did the same thing).

Google is all over this thread with engagement rings ads...

It also just served up a 'compatibility calculator' - maybe check that out 119...:scratchchinhmm:

I have an ad for Red Sox and Yankees hats on Lids.com and the newspaper obituary archive. Is it scanning my posts enough to know that I don't like engagement rings? If it's so smart, why doesn't it know how much I LOVE the Red Sux and Skankees? :laughlol:

Here's the rundown now...

I don't even want the ring anymore. I want to sell it, but not be ripped off either (anyone interested can PM me :D) I'll send them a picture and the specifics of the ring if anyone is interested.

As for my girlfriend, we are still in love and this is the first time she has been picky about anything. I guess going with the whole permise of picking out the ring beforehand has merit nowadays.

As for asking for the blessing of the parents, that was my idea, because I respect her parents, probably to a fault.

There are a lot of hurt feelings in this whole situation, but we still love each other and if it is true love, then it will work out.

• Upvote 1

You know, considering the situation that o119 is put in, bragging about how great you have it might NOT be in the best taste. But what do I know.

I promise not to complain when I start a thread titled "My job sucks so bad I want to disembowel myself" and he posts there about how good his job is! :laughlol:

To be fair, marriage and love aren't mutually exclusive. Look at all the people who get married who aren't actually in love, or look at how many people who are very much in love who get married and it ruins that love. I understand the basic concept behind "don't get married if you don't have to." Different strokes for different folks. Because, you see, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you might not be right for some...

I know that silly:rolleyestf:

Here's the rundown now...

I don't even want the ring anymore. I want to sell it, but not be ripped off either (anyone interested can PM me :D) I'll send them a picture and the specifics of the ring if anyone is interested.

As for my girlfriend, we are still in love and this is the first time she has been picky about anything. I guess going with the whole permise of picking out the ring beforehand has merit nowadays.

As for asking for the blessing of the parents, that was my idea, because I respect her parents, probably to a fault.

There are a lot of hurt feelings in this whole situation, but we still love each other and if it is true love, then it will work out.

I want all the best for both of you!!!!!:):clap3:

Tony is 100% right.

Same thing happened to my cousin...that story got leaked through my family and I wasn't supposed to know about it, else I would have said something.

IMO, one of the bigger tests of a relationship is the whole engagement process. If the woman I pick has a single bridezilla moment, she's probably gone. I have no tolerance for anything like that.

A Bridezilla Moment?

LOL:laughlol:

Thars awesome!:clap3::D

I must be the luckiest man alive. I just asked my wife if she wanted to upgrade her ring or use the money for something else. She said a Cruise or something like that would make more sense. She also loves kitchen gadgets.

I hope you gave her The Magic Bullet.