Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

The Mark Teixeira Watch part II

I am from there. People from there don't identify themselves as from D.C. or the D.C. suburbs.

I now live in a D.C. suburb--Rockville--and can tell you that the people here don't really consider themselves so much from Maryland but more from D.C. Just a totally different mindset.

PG County baby! Everyone in PG are DC/redskins fans. Im in Upper Marlboro but live in Miami for school.

He's only as good as his source, and his source is only as good as what AM choses to tell his staff, which doesn't appear to be much, and in the end, even AM can have incorrect assumptions or be deceived.

It is immeasurably better to get filtered inside info than what we are getting from the media or the official FO.

Oh I agree, the backlash wouldn't be from me. I'm thankful for what we get.

I am from there. People from there don't identify themselves as from D.C. or the D.C. suburbs.

I now live in a D.C. suburb--Rockville--and can tell you that the people here don't really consider themselves so much from Maryland but more from D.C. Just a totally different mindset.

Thats makes sense. I would be really, really baffled if he chose the Nationals over us based on the home town card. Not only are we closer for him, we're arguably a lot closer to being competitive than they are, even though we do have to play the AL East. If he chooses the Nationals over the O's, I believe it won't be just because of location, it will have to do with their offer being significantly better than ours.

Right, and I also can't find a paper that says the Japanese teams don't have offers.

The fact is Red Sox seem to be fairly involved with Boras about Teixeira. They have appeared to have numerous conversations. It is absolutely silly to say that an offer hasn't been exchanged.

Several sources saying he is close to signing with Boston? You think they would report that if no offer had been amde?

One good thing to take from this is the fact that no one knew Am had a meeting with Tex for a few days before the Winter Meetings. Because of AM's craftiness, there could have been several conversations from the Orioles camp that no one but Boras, Tex and PGAAM know about.

Here is what Sonny said yesterday. I think it was in the morning or early afternoon:

We certainly are not out of the picture. It's all about Mr Angelos at this point. Andy MacPhail would have pulled up the tent by now if not for that. But where it stops...no one knows.

I'm curious as to what our poster's expectations are at this juncture...

Anyone want to respond?

Wow. How do to answer this question. I guess the past decade has caused me to be cautiously optimistic, but I just have a real bad feeling about this. EVERYBODY and their brother is saying the Sox are the front runners, and taking my Orioles homerism out of it, they would most likely be MY front runner as well if I was in his position. But I do think there is a part of him that thinks it would be cool to come back and play for the team that he cheered for all his life until he was drafted by the Rangers. (and if you believe the reports, he STILL roots for the O's except when we play his team.) IMO, the Nats are nothing to worry about. Tex may use them to drive up his final cost, but there is NO way he signs with them above the O's or Red Sox. So along that thinking, I say we end up as the 2nd place team in the hunt for Tex, with him going to Boston. I hope to God that I'm wrong, because signing Tex, regardless of how ridiculously high his pricetag goes, would signal a change for this franchise, and it would make my year! I guess the bottom line comes down to two things. Does he REALLY consider us as an option, and IF he does, is Angelos willing to be the highest bidder for his services? At this point, I think the answer to that is no! No offense to Belkast, but unless his source is AM himself, EVERYONE else is saying we are out of it. I hope you're right Belky and I will gladly admit I was wrong, but I just don't think he'll choose us over the Sox.

Thats makes sense. I would be really, really baffled if he chose the Nationals over us based on the home town card. Not only are we closer for him, we're arguably a lot closer to being competitive than they are, even though we do have to play the AL East. If he chooses the Nationals over the O's, I believe it won't be just because of location, it will have to do with their offer being significantly better than ours.

Honestly, as someone from where he lives I would be offended if he tried to claim that D.C. is his "home town" vs. Baltimore. If anything, he should be reluctant to go to D.C. for fear of insulting his home town team.

We certainly are not out of the picture. It's all about Mr Angelos at this point. Andy MacPhail would have pulled up the tent by now if not for that. But where it stops...no one knows.

Maybe McPhail's intentions with this situation is what the media is hearing when they say the O's have pulled out.