McLovin

The Teixeira Watch: Part VI - ESPN: BoSox close to getting Teixeira

This has been an unbelievable ride. At 17 years old, all I have ever known is losing. My father has been a fan since the glory days of the 70's and I was born into the Oriole Tradition. Day in, day out, I sport my Orioles T's to my high school, a New York high school, filled with Yankee fans. Everyone knows I am an Orioles fan, and I am generally laughed at for being one. With the Yankees recent acquisitions and with Teix apparently headed to Boston, we put ourselves in a deeper hole than ever. I was hoping for this one break, this one signing that would put us on the map. I am as pumped as anyone for these young guys like Wieters, Tillman, Arrieta, Bergesen, etc, but this signing would've made us look like the real deal. If the Orioles go out and waste money on guys like Paul Byrd and Jon Garland....oh boy, I'll have a hard time swallowing it. I know that I will always be an Orioles fan, but it is really difficult right now.

I'd like to comment on bigbirds post of that we are moving on to pitching now..

How are we "moving on" to something else after we weren't really involved in anything in the first place?

You mean to tell me that AM has been twiddling his thumbs ever since he made the 7yr/150 offer weeks back? We were tied up in this thing so much to the point that we couldn't do anything else?? Could someone tell me what exactly the front office have been doing to fill a workday if they haven't moved on to pitching yet? We weren't pursuing any pitchers or doing anything else besides sitting and waiting to see what Teixiera does?

:angryfire::cussing::angryfire::cussing:

This has been an unbelievable ride. At 17 years old, all I have ever known is losing. My father has been a fan since the glory days of the 70's and I was born into the Oriole Tradition. Day in, day out, I sport my Orioles T's to my high school, a New York high school, filled with Yankee fans. Everyone knows I am an Orioles fan, and I am generally laughed at for being one. With the Yankees recent acquisitions and with Teix apparently headed to Boston, we put ourselves in a deeper hole than ever. I was hoping for this one break, this one signing that would put us on the map. I am as pumped as anyone for these young guys like Wieters, Tillman, Arrieta, Bergesen, etc, but this signing would've made us look like the real deal. If the Orioles go out and waste money on guys like Paul Byrd and Jon Garland....oh boy, I'll have a hard time swallowing it. I know that I will always be an Orioles fan, but it is really difficult right now.

Yes it is, but hang in there bud. This is life as an Orioles fan right now, but if AM continues to do things the right way, we'll get to where we need to be. Tex would speed things up a bit, but we can't, as true fans of this team, allow the Tex situation to define our amount of hope for this team moving forward.

Regardless of what happens, in Andy I trust.

How are we "moving on" to something else after we weren't really involved in anything in the first place?

You mean to tell me that AM has been twiddling his thumbs ever since he made the 7yr/150 offer weeks back? We were tied up in this thing so much to the point that we couldn't do anything else?? Could someone tell me what exactly the front office have been doing to fill a workday if they haven't moved on to pitching yet? We weren't pursuing any pitchers or doing anything else besides sitting and waiting to see what Teixiera does?

To be fair...not much has happened since the winter meeting broke camp.

I would interpret this more as "pitching is now the primary focus." Tex was, by virtue of the dollars involved, the #1 issue on AM's desk. Im sure they had their hands in lots of things, but now pitching is alone at #1.

Frustration noted, but at least there are pitching options. Its not like all of them have signed. Also, didn't it seem like AM only focused on one thing at a time last year. First Tejada, then Bedard and then Roberts, almost.

The Los Angeles Angels, Teixeira’s last team, have not budged off the eight-year offer they made Teixeira last week at the winter meetings, one for at least $160 million, and a source said they aren’t likely to do so. Baltimore Orioles president Andy MacPhail, whose team reportedly offered a seven-year, $150 million deal, said this week that his club has some “flexibility,” a signal they expect to up their ante. The Washington Nationals, 102-game losers in 2008, have been told by Boras, according to a source, that their offer will have to outdistance the others – by how much is unclear – if they expect Teixeira to sign with them.

This is probably the most accurate and balanced article I think I've read during the whole Tex saga. He doesn't say the Sox have this thing in the bag and doesn't misquote or ignore facts about the other organizations.

That's exactly what I was questioning, anselmO. That comment really baffled me, too. Why can't the front office multi-task and work on a lot of different things at once? Between MacPhail, Krivsky, Klentak, Flanagan, Little MacPhail, etc., I can't fathom that they've all just been sitting and waiting on Tex. And I thought Angelos was heading the Tex negotiations now? That should free up MacPhail for other talks as well.

The point is, you aren't going to get anything accomplished if you focus solely on one player or need. That's why I have a problem with that statement from Bigbird's source.

I feel you man. I am a 19 year old son of a Baltimore native and grew up in western NY. The O's will always be my team but some days it's hard.

This sounds so familiar. I too was a fan in the 60's and 70's, during the Oriole's glory days. I turned my son, born in 1983, into an Oriole fan.

He has stayed faithful all these years even though he has had very little to cheer for. He now lives in Phoenix and attends Diamondback games, but still considers himself an O's fan. However, when we recently discussed the possibilty of the Orioles signing Teixeira, he told me, "Look, Dad, you tell me ever year about some big name they might sign, but they never do. Just face it, they are never going to sign Mark Teixeira. They aren't even going to sign Adam Dunn. They'll just keep signing guys most fans don't even know." I can only imagine our next baseball chat.

not sure if this has been posted, as there are so MANY posts:

http://wbztv.com/sports/redsox/mark.teixeira.boston.2.890739.html

"However, the two sides aren't close to getting a deal done. Boston hopes to lure the 28-year-old switch-hitter with an offer and the numbers out there Thursday were somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-years and 180-million dollars.

However, nothing is expected to be "conclusive" following their meeting and that the two sides are apart on the money terms."

maybe some hope...Boston might be just going down there with the unilateral hope of narrowing the gap - it sure doesn't sound like they are close

I just want the record to show I am completely against signing any of these FA pitchers.

Let the kids pitch.

It should be an open competition at spring training.