Frobby

Is MacPhail planning on tanking the 2009 season?

I would much rather not have him than pay him 10 million for an 825ish OPS and 20-25 homers...I would be willing to bet AM agrees with me.

I would have liked to have seen for more like 50-80 games over at third.

Blake is no better defensively than Huff is.

He probably does, as would I, but I'm also more optimistic about his performance than you. However, the point is, he most likely would not accept arbitration, so the reward of getting 2 picks is worth taking the chance. Especially when the less likely alternative is to pay a good hitter 10 million for one season to play a position(1b/dh/3b) that we'd likely have a hole at anyway.

He may not be, but the perception is that he is. I don't care how many games you wanted him to play, it would not make a difference concerning what teams view him as.

He probably does, as would I, but I'm also more optimistic about his performance than you. However, the point is, he most likely would not accept arbitration, so the reward of getting 2 picks is worth taking the chance. Especially when the less likely alternative is to pay a good hitter 10 million for one season to play a position(1b/dh/3b) that we'd likely have a hole at anyway.

If Huff has a year more in line with his 2005-2007 vs 2008, I would be willing to bet that he accepts arbitration...I also don't think AM would offer it.

An 810 OPS, 23 homers, no speed and subpar defense is not a player AM is going to pay 10 million for.

Now, maybe he would try and offer the allowable 20% decrease but even that number may be something Huff can't pass up.

If Huff has a year more in line with his 2005-2007 vs 2008, I would be willing to bet that he accepts arbitration...I also don't think AM would offer it.

An 810 OPS, 23 homers, no speed and subpar defense is not a player AM is going to pay 10 million for.

Now, maybe he would try and offer the allowable 20% decrease but even that number may be something Huff can't pass up.

Once again, I said he probably wouldn't want him, nor would I for 10 million given that production. Now I think he'll likely do better than that, but even if he doesn't, I doubt he accepts arbitration, especially with that 20% decrease offer. Athletes have big ego's, so do agents, they generally think they can do better.

Can you believe that Varitek turned down arb?

But again, the negative in this case is not that bad. Overpaying a good hitter that could could fill a spot we'd likely otherwise have a hole at anyway, is not that bad, especially when it's only for a year.

I think AM is telling everybody that 2009 is the year that all die hard Oriole fans should go out and get all the brownie points from our wives or girlfriends, work extra at work to move up to a better position, spend extra time with our children, because we are building for 2010 and beyond and we will all be spending extra hours commenting on the progress and how close we are or are not to the Yanks, Soxs and Rays by the end of 09. I really believe by 2010 we will be passed Toronto with our young pitching. Just my thought. I know I am newer to the board as far as posting, so my thoughts will carry little weight, but I am excited for 2010!

Once again, I said he probably wouldn't want him, nor would I for 10 million given that production. Now I think he'll likely do better than that, but even if he doesn't, I doubt he accepts arbitration, especially with that 20% decrease offer. Athletes have big ego's, so do agents, they generally think they can do better.

Can you believe that Varitek turned down arb?

But again, the negative in this case is not that bad. Overpaying a good hitter that could could fill a spot we'd likely otherwise have a hole at anyway, is not that bad, especially when it's only for a year.

I would rather have that spot occupied by a younger player...say Reimold.

To me, it is always terrible to overpay for mediocrity unless there is something else in it for you.(like if you acquire a bad contract to get back 1-2 very good prospects)

I would rather have that spot occupied by a younger player...say Reimold.

To me, it is always terrible to overpay for mediocrity unless there is something else in it for you.(like if you acquire a bad contract to get back 1-2 very good prospects)

First off, Huff is very unlikely to block anyone of importance in 2010 considering the post 2009 holes that you often mention. Secondly, he is better than mediocre. And lastly you'd likely get those 1-2 very good prospects by offering the arbitration.

First off, Huff is very unlikely to block anyone of importance in 2010 considering the post 2009 holes that you often mention. Secondly, he is better than mediocre. And lastly you'd likely get those 1-2 very good prospects by offering the arbitration.

If you have Scott and Reimold, one needs to be the everyday DH.

Perhaps Huff could be at first but hopefully we have a long term option by then, whether it be someone we already have(Synder?) or someone we acquire in a trade.

Secondly, an 800-825 OPS out of your DH is nothing special...I believe that is right around average.

And you only get those prospects if arb is offered and not accepted..If he has an 800-825 OPS next year, then one of those 2 things will not happen..Either he accepts or we don't offer...You can bank on that one.

If you have Scott and Reimold, one needs to be the everyday DH.

Perhaps Huff could be at first but hopefully we have a long term option by then, whether it be someone we already have(Synder?) or someone we acquire in a trade.

Secondly, an 800-825 OPS out of your DH is nothing special...I believe that is right around average.

And you only get those prospects if arb is offered and not accepted..If he has an 800-825 OPS next year, then one of those 2 things will not happen..Either he accepts or we don't offer...You can bank on that one.

Huff can also play 3rd as you obviously know, and Scott could get traded by 2010. Even if they're both around, Reimold could play DH/LF.

Mediocre is considered below average by most. And a range of .800 to .850 would be more fair.

I will not bank on that one at all, for you to say those are the only two options is absurd. Jason Varitek declined arbitration after an awful year. The examples of players coming off solid years accepting arbitration, especially if offered 20% less, are few and far between.

Huff can also play 3rd as you obviously know, and Scott could get traded by 2010. Even if they're both around, Reimold could play DH/LF.

Mediocre is considered below average by most. And a range of .800 to .850 would be more fair.

I will not bank on that one at all, for you to say those are the only two options is absurd. Jason Varitek declined arbitration after an awful year. The examples of players coming off solid years accepting arbitration, especially if offered 20% less, are few and far between.

The Varitek example is poor because he declined it in a poor catchers market.

There are always first base/DH types around.

And no, those aren't the only 2 possibilities...He could far exceed my expectations but if he does what I think, one of those 2 things will happen.

The Varitek example is poor because he declined it in a poor catchers market.

There are always first base/DH types around.

And no, those aren't the only 2 possibilities...He could far exceed my expectations but if he does what I think, one of those 2 things will happen.

It is a good example because Varitek was awful, and it was pure ego and pride that made him and Boras to decide to refuse it. Most ballplayers and agents have a great deal of ego and pride to accept a 20% paycut for one year of an offer.

No, those are not the only two options if he does what you think, not even close. Still more likely to decline. If you said he was more likely to accept it, that wouldn't be crazy, but to say that there's no chance he'd decline is.

It is a good example because Varitek was awful, and it was pure ego and pride that made him and Boras to decide to refuse it. Most ballplayers and agents have a great deal of ego and pride to accept a 20% paycut for one year of an offer.

No, those are not the only two options if he does what you think, not even close. Still more likely to decline. If you said he was more likely to accept it, that wouldn't be crazy, but to say that there's no chance he'd decline is.

I will say this much...it is more likely that we don't even offer it than he declines it in the scenario I have laid out.

BTW, I don't think we can trade him now for anything that is worth dealing him for so we have to hope that he can play well enough in the first half of the season where we can deal him in July and not even worry about this stuff.

I think it's a good time to bump this thread. I think people misinterpreted what I meant by asking if MacPhail was planning to "tank" this season. I did not mean to suggest he would be actively trying to lose, I just meant that he would be keeping payroll to a minimum and placing top priority on getting opportunities for younger players. His statements today about not going after any more pitchers seems to fit in this mold. He has to know that leaving the current rotation as it is would be flirting with disaster, yet he seems willing to risk it to get Olson, Liz, Penn et al. their chances.

He is not tanking the season he is looking long term

I like the way he is doing things.

The last 18 months have been awesome.

I am so excited about 09 and beyond.

Thank god that we finally have a legitamate gm.

It has been years since we had one.

I think people misinterpreted what I meant...

I think maybe people got that impression because you asked if he was PLANNING ON TANKING THE SEASON!

Jeez, Frobby...

;-)