Pedro Cerrano

Dook

We're ready!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's focus on the game on Saturday first. We've got something of a streak to protect, as I recall.

The first time Carolina played Clemson in Chapel Hill was in 1926, 6 years before there was even a Basketball HOF. Carolina won 50-20. Since then, they've played in Chapel Hill 50 other times, and Carolina has won every single one of them as well.

The 51-game streak is the longest active streak in the country. The longest in history was Princeton's streak of 52 straight at home over Brown. That ended in 2003.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's focus on the game on Saturday first. We've got something of a streak to protect, as I recall.

The first time Carolina played Clemson in Chapel Hill was in 1926, 6 years before there was even a Basketball HOF. Carolina won 50-20. Since then, they've played in Chapel Hill 50 other times, and Carolina has won every single one of them as well.

The 51-game streak is the longest active streak in the country. The longest in history was Princeton's streak of 52 straight at home over Brown. That ended in 2003.

I hear you Brian, I referenced it in another thread calling it "the annual Clemson win". They're too young to look ahead to Dook, no worries.

I hear you Brian, I referenced it in another thread calling it "the annual Clemson win". They're too young to look ahead to Dook, no worries.

I saw a great quote from Tree Rollins, who played for Clemson from '73-'77.

"I used to say, 'This is the day. This is the day.' I guess they're still thinking that: This is the day."

And this from a 2001 article in USA Today:

The 1975 game was Clemson's best chance. The unranked Tigers, with a 6-5 record, took their largest lead at Chapel Hill — 16 points, 30-14, in the first half. They led 41-36 at halftime, their largest lead at that point in the 46 games. Clemson also had its latest lead 72-71 as the clock ticked under 30 seconds.

But Rollins and his teammates had already begun to experience a rare and confusing feeling. Their minds were betraying their bodies. "You felt the blood run out of your body," Rollins says. "You felt so tired and so mentally stressed. Now you start making some mental mistakes. Now you tighten up. Now you can't make a layup."

He says he can still hear Tates Locke, the Clemson coach at the time, over the Carmichael din. "It still lingers in my mind," Rollins says, "Tates saying, 'Keep playing, keep playing.'"

They did, to the end. But a jump shot by Walter Davis with 18 seconds to play became the difference in a 74-72 Tar Heels victory. "Obviously we tightened up, or we would have beaten them," Rollins says. "But we didn't have enough weapons, or enough experience, to beat them. If we had completed the task, it would have been one of the greatest upsets in the history of the ACC."

Rollins has arrived at a conclusion that generations of Clemson players have discovered. Chubby Wells, a Tiger in the late 1970s, once spoke for many of them. "When the games are close at the end, the North Carolina players know they're going to win," Wells said. "They know they're going to win because they're supposed to win. They're North Carolina. The bad thing is the players on the other team know it, too."

Unfortunately, we didnt make the tournament 2 straight years. Pains me to even write that.

I think he means the year we didn't make any postseason tournament, which is actually not the right year. In 2003 we made the NIT.

In 2002, we didn't make either tournament, but we managed to beat Clemson by 18 points in both games.

I think he means the year we didn't make any postseason tournament, which is actually not the right year. In 2003 we made the NIT.

In 2002, we didn't make either tournament, but we managed to beat Clemson by 18 points in both games.

You're probably right, the NIT year wasnt that bad, we salvaged it by beating Dook. By the way, my Son's first birthday is Tuesday, Dook night. Last year we brought him home from Sinai on February 9, and his first night at home, we lost at Dook. I cant let him down again.

I'm sure it broke your heart those years when the Heels were bad. Truth be told, it's always more fun when both teams are great, like the two games last year.

Yea...Either team could have swept the series last year....Was very surprised there was no rubber match.

If Duke keeps winning, maybe your son will become a Duke fan. :D