Sign in to follow this  
bigbird

The best thing that can happen to the O's

So you would think the FO communicating their plan going forward is adequate?

It's never a bad thing to have open lines of communication with the fan base, but I think MacPhail has generally stuck to what he was indicating he had planned from the get go.

Attendence will continue to drop right in line with the team's record. As it should. John Q. Public is not going to pay to take his family to the game unless it's an all you can eat deal or they celebrate the past again.

It's gotten to the point where free tickets are routinely passed up in Baltimore.

Absolutely the truth.

I probably turned down tickets 4 or 5 times last year.

I honestly hope MacPhail gets bombarded at the next Q+A the Orioles hold. There is just no excuse for the pace he's moving at with the resources the Orioles have, or maybe there is? Anyway he needs to spill it. Myself and other fans don't buy that this team is in the poorhouse, and that's the problem. I think they are using the economy as an excuse to do nothing.

I'd love to have the facts set straight on the matter...

It would be if the FO communicated it in a sincere way and took every opportunity to talk to the fans in an intimate way that made you feel they were talking to you, rather than just answering some guy with a microphone, and with cliches at that. Their sense of PR is utterly inadequate.

Tuesday night t-shirt giveaways is not saying anything to the fans except, "We know you wouldn't be here otherwise, here's something to take home."

At this point, I want the FO to be standing there in Eutaw street greeting me when I come through the turnstile. And saying something we all want to hear.

I've gone over both of your excellent question a few times. While I'd prefer he do a better job of communicating the plan, he's actually done it in small ways and being more honest than 90% of GMs are - saying the organization was in really bad shape and that it would take a few years to compete.

But he does have to back up his words - not by acquiring over-priced over-the-hill players to quiet down the loud group of fans who just want to see that they're spending money - but he's got to acquire more pieces to the foundation that will lead them to be a decent team in 2010 and a team that can compete for a playoff spot by 2012 and beyond (royalties to Buzz Lightyear) year in and year out. And if he doesn't lay more of the foundation before the season starts, I would be all for the OP - and boycotting the O's.

It's never a bad thing to have open lines of communication with the fan base, but I think MacPhail has generally stuck to what he was indicating he had planned from the get go.

Yeah I think he has. But I would think they would want to do more than "indicate" it though.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I would think that Andy and Co. would try to make the casual fans a little more knowledgable of their current circumstances and how they plan to make the team a winner again.

I don't see how that can by anything but positive for the Orioles, but again, its not my gig.

As an aside to the debate of attending games....is there any coincidental/odd correlation between payroll and a cities population?? :scratchchinhmm:

Rank City State Population

1 New York City New York 8,274,527

2 Los Angeles California 3,834,340

3 Chicago Illinois 2,836,658

4 Houston Texas 2,208,180

5 Phoenix Arizona 1,552,259

6 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1,449,634

8 San Diego California 1,266,731

9 Dallas Texas 1,240,499

11 Detroit Michigan 916,952

13 San Francisco California 799,183

17 Fort Worth Texas 681,818

20 Baltimore Maryland 637,455

21 Boston Massachusetts 608,352

23 Milwaukee Wisconsin 602,191

24 Seattle Washington 594,210

26 Denver Colorado 588,349

27 Washington District of Columbia 588,292

33 Atlanta Georgia 519,145

39 Kansas City Missouri 450,375

40 Cleveland Ohio 438,042 6,165.0

44 Oakland California 401,489

46 Minneapolis Minnesota 377,392

50 Arlington Texas 371,038

52 St. Louis Missouri 350,759

54 Tampa Florida 336,823

55 Anaheim California 333,249

56 Cincinnati Ohio 332,458

59 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 311,218

75 St. Petersburg Florida 246,407

1 Yankees $284,800,121

2 Mets $158,499,376

3 Dodgers $151,575,459

4 Red Sox $144,708,039 (21)

5 Cubs $128,632,833

6 White Sox $127,246,527

7 Tigers $121,914,680

8 Phillies $120,063,380

9 Astros $119,602,598

10 Angels $111,776,333

11 Cardinals $106,151,949

12 Giants $106,137,546

13 Brewers $99,261,499

14 Mariners $98,134,382

15 Braves $93,512,499

16 Royals $83,915,499

17 Blue Jays $83,716,800

18 Diamondbacks $82,052,166

19 Rockies $75,242,626

20 Rangers $69,968,305

21 Indians $68,626,166

22 Orioles $67,053,580

23 Reds $60,873,000

24 Athletics $59,337,500

25 Nationals $56,875,000

26 Twins $51,146,766

27 Devil Rays $50,582,563

28 Padres $48,887,814

29 Pirates $45,870,008

30 Marlins $34,306,833

is nobody goes to the games. Zippy! Let the attendance slip another half million. I know PGA will not get another dime from me by attending a game.

What he is doing to this franchise is pitiful.

Seems like a lot of big talk to me.

If you were really serious, you would not only not go to Orioles games, you wouldn't purchase MASN, you wouldn't buy any Orioles gear, etc. Not only that, you wouldn't support MLB in any way, meaning not watching any Orioles games anywhere (ie free TV), not posting on OH, etc., since any support for the Orioles supports PGA, whether it's direct or indirect.

But whatever. If typing that rant made you feel better, good for you.

The Orioles definitely need to be more open with their fans. MacPhail seems to understimate the intelligence of Orioles fans.

What the Orioles need to do is open their financial books and tell the fans exactly what financial shape they are in. Show us where that MASN money is going and that revenue sharing money is going. If it's actually going into areas to improve the club, then maybe we'd be a little more patient and understanding. But you can't just say we are going to operate like the Twins or Rays when we have a RSN without explaining why.

I understand your frustration, but are the Orioles a publicly owned entity? If PA makes a trillion dollars from MASN, isn't it his right to do what he pleases? He doesn't have to explain anything to us...however, I for one wishes he dumps it back into the O's.

I counter that thought though...isn't it our right to stop supporting the club? We can sit on the message board all day long and complain (which we have been doing for several years) and watch nothing happen or we can do something about it.

I don't know which way to lean on this fence...I love the birds and don't think I will stop watching them, but I am not sure what rationale there is behind seeing the books.

Just my humble opinion.

As an aside to the debate of attending games....is there any coincidental/odd correlation between payroll and a cities population??

To examine the correlation, you should first make sure that you're looking at least at comparable metropolitan areas. Broadcast market areas are important as well, especially for teams in the Midwest where fans typically travel considerable distances to watch their favorite teams play.

I don't think you will have to worry about an organized effort to bring attendance down, this should work itself out naturally.

It's funny I keep telling my girlfriend, "I'm not watching this freaking team this coming season, not even getting MLB Extra Innings, bla blah blah". She's like, "Yeah you will." The truth hurts so bad.

To examine the correlation, you should first make sure that you're looking at least at comparable metropolitan areas. Broadcast market areas are important as well, especially for teams in the Midwest where fans typically travel considerable distances to watch their favorite teams play.

Yes, I realize that MR, and that is why I would indeed have to lump several cities on the list above together for one team to account for their market. Thanks for the feedback though. :)

Edited by TinCup