Roll Tide

From Roch ...about some our of young arms!

This is what should be happenning.

The way I see it we have Guthrie and Uehara as 1-2. Olson will be in there barring his arm falling off. That is three leaving Penn, Liz, Arrieta, Bergensen, Waters, Hendrickson, Tillman, Burress, Patton (if healthy) and Albers (if healthy) to battle it out for the last two spots.

Hendrickson gets the five hole if no one beats him. He acts as a sort of insurance policy.

If the Orioles feel someone like Sheets becomes cheap enough to move on, even with an injury history, then I am sure they make a run at him. I see why they are avoiding him at this point, Dunn is another story.

I mean, isn't this what we all wanted a chance for the young arms to play so we can see what we have got?

The way I see it we have Guthrie and Uehara as 1-2. Olson will be in there barring his arm falling off. That is three leaving Penn, Liz, Arrieta, Bergensen, Waters, Hendrickson, Tillman, Burress, Patton (if healthy) and Albers (if healthy) to battle it out for the last two spots.

Hendrickson gets the five hole if no one beats him. He acts as a sort of insurance policy.

If the Orioles feel someone like Sheets becomes cheap enough to move on, even with an injury history, then I am sure they make a run at him. I see why they are avoiding him at this point, Dunn is another story.

I mean, isn't this what we all wanted a chance for the young arms to play so we can see what we have got?

Yes...I agree with this...but we need to get some innings from other guys.

We're going to run into big problems if Olson, Burress, Liz or any other of these "young" starters continue to have command issues and aren't able to go deep into games. The bullpen will be a mess by July.

None of our starters are guarantees to work late into games through the course of a season...I'm including Guthrie in that as well. Signing a guy like Garland (again...not a fan of his, but I could see this happening) will give us that one guy who can throw 6/7 innings on a regular basis.

I agree. The only difference I see is that they may sign a vet to take Cabrera's innings. A Looper or garland on a 2 year deal. This gives some insurance in case Uehara is a bust or when someone (Penn accidentally beheads himself while shaving) gets injured. Hendrickson is the final backstop.

I'm not high on Dunn, but I think Wiggington could be interesting.

I'm still hoping for an Olson for Pie deal as the Cubs re-pursue the Peavy situation. I also hope to obtain one more dependable starter. Leave only 2 spots for in-house competition.

We're going to run into big problems if Olson, Burress, Liz or any other of these "young" starters continue to have command issues and aren't able to go deep into games. The bullpen will be a mess by July.

None of our starters are guarantees to work late into games through the course of a season...I'm including Guthrie in that as well. Signing a guy like Garland (again...not a fan of his, but I could see this happening) will give us that one guy who can throw 6/7 innings on a regular basis.

One thing we should have is a relatively high number of people to use as starters. They may not be good, but they are many. Hopefully this will keep us from extremely over taxing some of the relievers.

Part of what makes Hendrickson valuable (aside from his misuse as a starter skewing his numbers) is his ability to go multipl innings in relief. Having an arm capable of being a 2-3 inning guy 2-3 times a week (3 obviously not the norm) is a huge plus when you're talking about young starters.

I'd like to see us go after Randy Wolf and then let the younger guys battle it out for the last two spots.

To save the bullpen from completely being blown out, we are going to need three solid starters, and you can't call Olson a solid starter yet.

Guthrie, Wolf, Uehara should give us 50-60 QS between them all.

Edited by JTrea81

Part of what makes Hendrickson valuable (aside from his misuse as a starter skewing his numbers) is his ability to go multipl innings in relief. Having an arm capable of being a 2-3 inning guy 2-3 times a week (3 obviously not the norm) is a huge plus when you're talking about young starters.

Yes, and I hope this is how Hendrickson is used. It still doesn't address my concern about having starters going deep into games. If you still have command issues with 3 of the 5 starters, and they are out of the game by the fifth inning, it doesn't matter that Hendrickson can be that 2 to 3 inning guy. He's only going to be able to do that for so long.

I agree. The only difference I see is that they may sign a vet to take Cabrera's innings. A Looper or garland on a 2 year deal. This gives some insurance in case Uehara is a bust or when someone (Penn accidentally beheads himself while shaving) gets injured. Hendrickson is the final backstop.

I'm not high on Dunn, but I think Wiggington could be interesting.

In Roch's latest blog he responded to somebody saying that Looper was too expensive for the Orioles still...

Yes, and I hope this is how Hendrickson is used. It still doesn't address my concern about having starters going deep into games. If you still have command issues with 3 of the 5 starters, and they are out of the game by the fifth inning, it doesn't matter that Hendrickson can be that 2 to 3 inning guy. He's only going to be able to do that for so long.

Yeah, it sort of does. There has been talk about the value of a 120 IP guy in the pen -- someone who is capable of going 3 IP twice a week or 2 IP three times a week. If you go with a 13 man staff (which would make sense considering the versatility AM seems to be looking for in his position bench players like Freel, Gomez, Salazar) you can afford a true long man and a 120 guy. If your starters average 5 IP (assuming some leave early and some last longer) than you are talking about around 24 IP from your pen per week. Hendricksn could absorb 6 of those regularly, another long man takes maybe 3 in a night once a week? You're just chopping up 15 IP between 6 BP arms. And that would be if things are going very poorly for your starters.

I think Frobby has stated that one of his requirements for a FA SP would be the ability to pitch into the 6th consistently. If you land one of those arms, I don't think any of the above is even an issue. Just my thoughts...

Yeah, it sort of does. There has been talk about the value of a 120 IP guy in the pen -- someone who is capable of going 3 IP twice a week or 2 IP three times a week. If you go with a 13 man staff (which would make sense considering the versatility AM seems to be looking for in his position bench players like Freel, Gomez, Salazar) you can afford a true long man and a 120 guy. If your starters average 5 IP (assuming some leave early and some last longer) than you are talking about around 24 IP from your pen per week. Hendricksn could absorb 6 of those regularly, another long man takes maybe 3 in a night once a week? You're just chopping up 15 IP between 6 BP arms. And that would be if things are going very poorly for your starters.

I think Frobby has stated that one of his requirements for a FA SP would be the ability to pitch into the 6th consistently. If you land one of those arms, I don't think any of the above is even an issue. Just my thoughts...

Yeah...I keep forgetting (maybe wishful thinking! ;)) that we're going to have a 13 man staff.

If you've got those two long guys, it does make it a bit easier.

I think this is a good post. If Hendrickson is used in this way, it could really benefit the rest of the bullpen. The real question is, will he get used that way, or will he be used for 1-2 innings at a stretch or as a starter? The stats you posted showing how effective he is the first time through a lineup, and how ineffective he is thereafter, were very compelling.

That's why I'm interested in seeing how Hennessey (a former starter) does this ST. And if they plan on Baez competing for a starter's role, and he comes into camp with the mentality of pitching longer stretches, then the bullpen wouldn't need to be eight guys.