Burg

Is there any player less likeable than Hines Ward?

Hines Ward actually does a lot of charity work, and as a Korean I have a tremendous respect for him. As some of you may know, he is half-korean. His mom bore him in Korea with an American soldier and followed him to America. Hines Ward said in an interview in Korea that he was ashamed to have an Asian mother while all the other kids would have black, white, or any other normal American moms. He would avoid her when she was around him and stuff and one day saw her mom crying her eyes out because of this and decided to change his ways. He now says that he is half Korean proudly and he's really supporting his mom since his mom went through all kinds of difficult things here such as language barrier, once she even had three jobs at once taking jobs like working at the Burger King trying to support Hines. He's really thankful for that and takes good care of her now. I probably didn't phrase that the best way, but that's what I've read back in Korea. I have tremendous respect for him.

Now how can you say this guy is worse than guys like Chris Henry, Cedric Benson, and etc who breaks the law. His smiling, and all that kinds of things he do, that's all part of football. He's doing his job.

Ward toes the line of being dirty and he knows it and he loves it. Technically almost everything he does is legal though he has been fined on numerous occasion. For one, as mentioned, he'll often block guys that aren't anywhere near a play and don't see him. Two, he almost always leads with the crown of his helmet and propels himself up under a guys chin. Combine these two things and you have why a lot of the guys he hits get hurt. I don't care how you break it down there is no doubt in my mind that Ward tries to knock people out of games and hurt people. Some will say that's football but when you are trying to hurt people even if it's within the rules there is a "dirty" aspect to that.

Edited by ccbird

Hines Ward actually does a lot of charity work, and as a Korean I have a tremendous respect for him. As some of you may know, he is half-korean. His mom bore him in Korea with an American soldier and followed him to America. Hines Ward said in an interview in Korea that he was ashamed to have an Asian mother while all the other kids would have black, white, or any other normal American moms. He would avoid her when she was around him and stuff and one day saw her mom crying her eyes out because of this and decided to change his ways. He now says that he is half Korean proudly and he's really supporting his mom since his mom went through all kinds of difficult things here such as language barrier, once she even had three jobs at once taking jobs like working at the Burger King trying to support Hines. He's really thankful for that and takes good care of her now. I probably didn't phrase that the best way, but that's what I've read back in Korea. I have tremendous respect for him.

Now how can you say this guy is worse than guys like Chris Henry, Cedric Benson, and etc who breaks the law. His smiling, and all that kinds of things he do, that's all part of football. He's doing his job.

You know why I HATE him, as opposed to my general dislike of most players on teams I hate?

Because people, especially media, use things like this, and his "hard" play, to gloss over his cheap-shots and dirty play.

If I were a coach I would absolutely send one guy out with the sole job of putting him out of the game. The risk of one of my guys getting penalized or ejected is worth the lowered risk of one or more of my players getting injured, perhaps permanently, by a dirty play.

And in all honesty, I think that he wouldn't say a word afterward, since if he did people would TEAR HIM TO SHREDS and he knows it.

There are very few people I hate with this kind of passion.

• Upvote 1

You know why I HATE him, as opposed to my general dislike of most players on teams I hate?

Because people, especially media, use things like this, and his "hard" play, to gloss over his cheap-shots and dirty play.

If I were a coach I would absolutely send one guy out with the sole job of putting him out of the game. The risk of one of my guys getting penalized or ejected is worth the lowered risk of one or more of my players getting injured, perhaps permanently, by a dirty play.

And in all honesty, I think that he wouldn't say a word afterward, since if he did people would TEAR HIM TO SHREDS and he knows it.

Couldn't of said it better myself. I really hope what Suggs said about there being a bounty out for Ward is true.

Nothing would make me happier than to have Ray notice Ward is about to perform one of his cheap blocks on him and then to see Ray lower his helmet and just knock Ward out. That would be beautiful.

So you hate him because of his cheap and dirty play, and you would respond to that with...cheap and dirty play.

I hate him with the passion of the christ but that is not how I would respond. I would try and win the game with the respect that makes Hines look silly in comparison rather than stoop to his level.

I don't dislike the guy, but I do think his leading with the helmet blocks on guys that aren't looking is pretty dangerous. I've seen him give cheap shots to our guys on many occasions.

I liked the penalty he drew on San Diego yesterday for unnecessary roughness. The guy barely touched him as he was out of bounds, and Ward did an Academy Award performance of flopping on the ground.

I like the fact that he does charity work, and I'm sure he's a good guy off the field. His actions ON the field, though, leave a lot to be desired.

So you hate him because of his cheap and dirty play, and you would respond to that with...cheap and dirty play.

I hate him with the passion of the christ but that is not how I would respond. I would try and win the game with the respect that makes Hines look silly in comparison rather than stoop to his level.

You can do that and get your players hurt. I'll fight fire with fire, take out the menace and win :D

I must admit having watched the NFL for over 44 years that Hines Ward is one of the few players I can honestly say I would applaud if someone physically knocked him out of the game and he had to be carted off the field. Not that I want any kind of permanent injury to him, just would like to see him get his bell rung and be out of the game the entire time.

There was another player who I despised even worse than Ward named Jack Tatum who played for Oakland in the 70"s. He was a lot more dirtier than Ward and I don't think he ever got what he deserved either, but I was always hoping for it.

You can do that and get your players hurt. I'll fight fire with fire, take out the menace and win :D

Sounds like your a fan of John Chaney's coaching tactics...

When it comes to dirty play, how come nobody minds when Terrell Suggs dug his hand/forearm into Ronnie Brown's facemask two weeks ago or when two Ravens players (Lewis and Suggs) had Chris Johnson draped by the legs and clearly had his forward momentum stopped when Ed Reed came in and prevented Johnson from falling to the turf and then bent him backwards? Somehow I think that if the Titans had done to Le'ron McClain what was done to Johnson, the board would be up in arms. :scratchchinhmm:

He would be less intolerable and irritating if the damn networks would quit showing closeups of that ridiculous grin he always has. For some reason they feel the need to perpetuate his immature and childish behavior on the field.

I used to hate him...but, I gotta say, I kind of like him now. The guy just loves playing football. He's a great WR who loves to hit people, and he always has a smile on his face while he's doing it. He gets under people's skin, and it works for him. Of all the people on Pitt worthy of hating, he's pretty low on my list.