Sign in to follow this  
Sports Guy

Mixed feelings about the offseason thus far

Burrell is a much better hitter.

Huff is making 8 million in 2009...Why would he sign any extension, right now, for less than 9-11 million a year?? I also think it is an unrealistic hope that he would agree to a one year extension right now.

As you say Burrell is a better hitter and he plays a position. So maybe in this market Huff would be worth less then $8/year. Huff impresses me as the kind of guy that if he is offered $8M, he is going to take it and run to bank smiling.

I don't know why you would think he wouldn't.

Sign and then trade Huff, I would have liked to have seen this done after Tex went to the Skanks. It would be good to save the money now and spend it when the O's are ready.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone's interested in Huff.

I'm impressed we don't have obvious non-performers that are getting money they haven't earned (yes, I know Baez, but that won't last long).

I'm impressed we don't have any albatross contracts that are weighing us down and limiting our future options, especially with respect to having money available for draft signings, although to be honest this year doesn't look to be a strong draft.

We're not choking on aging vets or commiting suicide by payroll. There's something to be said for that. An optimist might say we're agile.

Our additions have not hurt us, have not been poor decisions, nor have they limited our options. To me, that's important for setting the table for 2010.

But we missed out on He Who Must Never Be Spoken Of Again, and that keeps me from being satisfied with the off-season so far.

Guest rochester
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone's interested in Huff.

Exactly - IIRC there were attempts to see what was out there at last years deadline and nothing noteworthy was offered.

As you say Burrell is a better hitter and he plays a position. So maybe in this market Huff would be worth less then $8/year. Huff impresses me as the kind of guy that if he is offered $8M, he is going to take it and run to bank smiling.

I don't know why you would think he wouldn't.

He just came off a monster year...He is making 8 million this coming here...It doesn't make sense for him to sign a 1 year extension for 8 million right now, even with the economic issues.

Even a guy like milton Bradley got a 3/30 deal...If Huff has another monster year, he will be able to get something similar to that.

There is no real incentive for him to sign a 1 year extension.

It would be a bad idea by the Orioles anyway.

He just came off a monster year...He is making 8 million this coming here...It doesn't make sense for him to sign a 1 year extension for 8 million right now, even with the economic issues.

Even a guy like milton Bradley got a 3/30 deal...If Huff has another monster year, he will be able to get something similar to that.

There is no real incentive for him to sign a 1 year extension.

It would be a bad idea by the Orioles anyway.

Sorry, you can't justify a $10M contract for Huff based on a bad decision by the Cubs. 3 years for a guy that has not had 500 at bats in a season since 2004. He has played 78 games in the OF in the last 2 years. The Cubs are going to regret that contract. Its a heck of a gamble.

The market is down. There is no two ways about it and there is not telling if it will continue to drop next year. Huff has great incentive to extend any way be can for $8M.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=150396&statType=1

Edited by wildcard

The slow free agent market has affected a lot of things. I don't see the point in undergoing serious B-Rob trade negotiations until Orlando Hudson has signed, because there may be team(s) out there that are hoping to get Hudson without giving up anything but cash, and once Hudson signs somewhere, those teams will come talking to us. I believe that is a perfectly legitimate explanation for the apparent lack of action on the trade-Roberts front.

I'm disappointed that we haven't been able to extend Markakis too, and next week's arbitration submission deadline is kind of a deadline for that too. If we haven't signed him a week from today, or if we have agreed on a 1 year deal to avoid arbitration, then I think that will be a significant failure this offseason.

And I buy the argument that Dunn is overpriced....although I'll be curious to see what he actually gets in this somewhat depressed FA market. And other than Dunn, there is no free agent out there that I am sitting here worrying that we "should have" gotten him.

It's just a month until spring training starts...and usually the manager likes to know a bit before the start of spring training what horses he is going to war with. So time is running short. But I do think the unusual slowness of the free agent market has affected what we've been able to do so far. I'm waiting for the logjam to break with a Hudson signing, or with Dunn significantly reducing his demands because he isn't getting the offers he wants. Things might fall into place fairly quickly after that.

The Ravens have managed to extend their season well into January so I'm not sitting there with the normal void counting the days until spring training yet. So I haven't yet started getting really impatient....but we need a few more things to happen in the next 4 weeks or so.

I don't want to see Scott or Huff traded this offseason. There's a glut in the market for power-hitting defensively challenged types at offensive positions (LF, 1B, DH). We've already seen Bradley, Giambi, Tex, Burrell, and Ibanez get signed, reducing the demand for their type of player severely. Plus, many of the signings were for less than expected, contributing to an overall perception of a down market, at least for the Luke Scott power hitting corner outfield type.

Despite the fact that they had good years last year, we'd be selling low due to market conditions. Better to wait until the break or next offseason (for Scott) and see if the conditions change.

Obviously if we get a great offer we should send them packing. I guess I'm saying I don't think we'll get the kind of return for Scott now that we would want or that we might well get later.

The slow free agent market has affected a lot of things. I don't see the point in undergoing serious B-Rob trade negotiations until Orlando Hudson has signed, because there may be team(s) out there that are hoping to get Hudson without giving up anything but cash, and once Hudson signs somewhere, those teams will come talking to us. I believe that is a perfectly legitimate explanation for the apparent lack of action on the trade-Roberts front.

I'm disappointed that we haven't been able to extend Markakis too, and next week's arbitration submission deadline is kind of a deadline for that too. If we haven't signed him a week from today, or if we have agreed on a 1 year deal to avoid arbitration, then I think that will be a significant failure this offseason.

And I buy the argument that Dunn is overpriced....although I'll be curious to see what he actually gets in this somewhat depressed FA market. And other than Dunn, there is no free agent out there that I am sitting here worrying that we "should have" gotten him.

It's just a month until spring training starts...and usually the manager likes to know a bit before the start of spring training what horses he is going to war with. So time is running short. But I do think the unusual slowness of the free agent market has affected what we've been able to do so far. I'm waiting for the logjam to break with a Hudson signing, or with Dunn significantly reducing his demands because he isn't getting the offers he wants. Things might fall into place fairly quickly after that.

The Ravens have managed to extend their season well into January so I'm not sitting there with the normal void counting the days until spring training yet. So I haven't yet started getting really impatient....but we need a few more things to happen in the next 4 weeks or so.

Roch is reporting that Dunn only wants to play the OF and the O's see him as a DH. It's not a match and the O's are not going to bid for him.

Sorry, you can't justify a $10M contract for Huff based on a bad decision by the Cubs. 3 years for a guy that has not had 500 at bats in a season since 2004. He has played 78 games in the OF in the last 2 years. The Cubs are going to regret that contract. Its a heck of a gamble.

The market is down. There is no two ways about it and there is not telling if it will continue to drop next year. Huff has great incentive to extend any way be can for $8M.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=150396&statType=1

I brought up that contract to show that a player like Huff, coming off a big time year, can still get a multi-year deal.

You stated to try and extend him for one year...There is no reason for Huff to do that and there is even less reason for the Orioles to do that.

I brought up that contract to show that a player like Huff, coming off a big time year, can still get a multi-year deal.

You stated to try and extend him for one year...There is no reason for Huff to do that and there is even less reason for the Orioles to do that.

We will have to disagree on this one. I think it makes sense for both sides. Of course a trade does also.

Edited by wildcard

You may want to take another look at Melvin Mora.

He has more than earned his extension thus far by pretty much every evaluation of the "cost" of wins.

His numbers didn't decline last year. They improved and rather dramatically.

His defense wasn't lackluster at all last year.

At Melvin's age there is not rush to extend him. The O's can evaluate him through the year and make a decision based on their option during the FA season.

At Melvin's age there is not rush to extend him. The O's can evaluate him through the year and make a decision based on their option during the FA season.

I don't think VaTech was arguing for another extension for Mora. He was defending the previous one, as relevant to whether Huff should be extended at a similar age now.

There's certainly no need to take any action on Mora now.