YardBirds13

ACC Thread

If Carolina decides to play defense and Ellington plays well in the tourney, I don't see how they lose.

But if they play lackadasical and inconsistent defense and Ellington plays like he only sort of cares, they will go down.

I never focused on him when watching Duke before, but I have to agree - the Henderson I saw last night has star quality. Is he a legit 6'5?

It'll be interesting to see in the MD game whether or not he's matched up against Vasquez. I'd think they would be. But Zoubec is probably going to have a career game.

Well, if there was any doubt that Henderson is miles ahead of Vasquez as an NBA prospect, there aren't any now.

And who knows what numbers Zoubec would have had if they kept him in the game.

Hate them if you want, but they have probably been the most impressive team so far. BTW, what happened to Paul Bako, are you gonna change your name.

Eh, I think UConn is better than Duke in my opinion.

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you said about changing my user name? :confused: My name has always been PaulBako. (no spaces)

The rankings are stupid and don't matter, but Duke deserves to be #1. They have been very impressive this year minus the one sleepwalk against Michigan.

I cannot wait for the game against Wake Forest on Wednesday, should be a great one.

Also, how about those Hokies? They got a huge road win at Miami yesterday and are currently in second place in the ACC, and that second place standing includes wins AT Wake and AT Miami.

Impressive. If they didn't get beat by a half court shot against Xavier and a buzzer beater against Wisconsin, they would be looking at a Top 4 seed right now.

I am a huge ACC guy but people really need to stop acting like the ACC is better than the Big East this year.

No, the Big East is better, but it also has 16 teams. You're gonna have more good teams when you have more teams in general.

I mean, the bottom of the Big East is much worse than the ACC. UVa beat South Florida!

But, agreed, the Big East is the best conference in the country. THIS YEAR.

The Big East is ridiculous this year. No one is even close.

However, don't be shocked if 2 of the 4 #1 seeds in March are Wake/Duke/Carolina. Assuming two of them are in the ACC tourney final.

Eh, I think UConn is better than Duke in my opinion.

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you said about changing my user name? :confused: My name has always been PaulBako. (no spaces)

I meant that you changed your picture to DCab from Paul Bako. Are you going to change your name to DCab too.

The Big East is ridiculous this year. No one is even close.

However, don't be shocked if 2 of the 4 #1 seeds in March are Wake/Duke/Carolina. Assuming two of them are in the ACC tourney final.

All 4 #1 seeds from 2 conferences this year?

That would be a first.

It seems like the only team that may change that is Oklahoma.

I meant that you changed your picture to DCab from Paul Bako. Are you going to change your name to DCab too.

No, I just put a picture of Cabrera in a Nats cap for fun.

I did the same thing with Ramon Hernandez a few months ago.

Not a ton of action in the ACC tonight.

Miami goes to NC State, and the way this league is shaping up, the middle tier bubble teams really can't afford to lose to the bottom 3 (GT, UVa, and NCST) whether its on the road or not, so Miami needs to take care of business today.

Big game at College Park for Maryland and BC. Maryland can get back on track and put the Duke debacle behind them by beating BC at home, but if they lose this one, it's a long climb to get to the tournament.

BC could pick up a huge road win against one of those common bubble type teams that will be big to have come March.

Gotta say, with UVa being a non-factor this year, I've found myself wanting the Terps to do well for my parents sake (both Terp fans), so I'm rooting for the Terps tonight.

I'm sorry, I must have missed something: why is the Big East so clearly better?

The Big East has 16 teams. ACC: 12. So there's 28 total. I think time will show that...

a) The ACC has #1 of the 28 (UNC)

b) The ACC has #2 of the 28 (Duke)

c) The Big East has #28 of the 28 (DePaul)

d) The Big East has #27 of the 28 (Rutgers)

e) The Big East has #26 of the 28 (St. Johns)

The ACC is stronger at the top and bottom. The ACC has no bottom feeders that everyone can whoop up on. DePaul is 0-7, and has lost each game by more than a possession. Ditto that for Rutgers. ACC's worst, Georgia Tech, is 0-6, but has lost 3 OT games.

Ken Pom's 100% objective, stat-based assessment on conference rank:

ACC: #1

Big East: #3

(it actually ranks the Pac-10 in between).

Sagarin also favors the ACC in this debate, in central mean and arithmetic mean.

I really don't see why people think it is so clear cut towards the Big East. At the very least, they are about equal, both at the very top of any rankings.

One popular argument that I've seen elsewhere seems to be about the NCAA tourney. I really don't get this. Will the Big East get more teams in the tourney? Yea, it looks that way. So...what?

Which is more impressive: 7/12 (58.3%) or 9/16 (56.3%)?

Edit: Sorry for the tone, I'm just so sick of all the Big East hype. The top half is awesome...the bottom half is equally awesomely bad.

Anyway, in ACC news, NC State continues Miami's overtime troubles. Are they on the bubble now? Only marquee win was at Kentucky (who laid an egg last night). The ACC has 4 IN (Duke, UNC, WF, Clemson) and 4 OUT (MD, GTech, UVA, NCState). So it comes down to Miami (I still think they are in good shape) FSU, BC, and VaTech. FSU could take a huge step tonight w/ UNC coming to town, but I don't see it happening. UNC has clearly re-focused.

I like Duke tonight in a very close, well-played, fast-paced, exciting, awesome, intense, etc game.

Edited by sportsfan14