dsizzlevt

Orioles get Pie for Olson and prospect

A class A player named Williamson, according to Rosenthal's article.

Personally, I've never even heard of him so that helps a little considering we just created another void in the chasm that is our pitching rotation.

It's "Class A right-hander Henry Williamson".

In anticipation of your next question:

No, I have no idea who that is either.

The Cubs have reached agreement with the Orioles on a deal that will send Pie to Baltimore for left-hander Garrett Olson and Class A right-hander Henry Williamson' date=' according to major-league sources.[/quote']

So, rumor is we sent Henry Williamson. :D

Thanks, guys.

He was evidently our 14th round pick in 2007. Doesn't look like he'll ever be much more than an AAA pitcher. He had a 4.76 ERA last year in 22.2 innings as a reliever at Aberdeen. He had a nice 13.5 K/9 and 2 BB/9 (34 K's and 5 BB's). But at 23 years old, it will probably take him until he's about 26 to crack a ML roster.

Seeing as he is a VERY minimal prospect, I really like this deal. It's basically Pie for Olson, which, as of now, should be chalked up in the win column for the O's.

What would you say his ceiling is? Alex Rios? Who are his comps?

I've seen Carlos Beltran.

Even the absurd Vlad comparison.

I'd go with Carl Crawford.

Teens in the HRs.

Lots of 2Bs and 3Bs.

35-50 SBs.

.280-.300 AVG but not so great OBP

couldn't the Sun picked a better picture to feature this story than the following:

44584898-18115320.jpg

Is this one better?

(Looks like somebody is getting a new number.)

pie.20.jpg

I dont like it.

There is absolutely no room for Reimold now, and we now have a hole in the rotation. Now that pretty much gurantees the O's going out and signing another Mark Hendrickson. Hey, I hear Trachsel is out there, why not?

Whatever, I'll root for Pie and hope he does well, and I am excited to see him play, but I just dont like the move.

I dont like it.

There is absolutely no room for Reimold now, and we now have a hole in the rotation. Now that pretty much gurantees the O's going out and signing another Mark Hendrickson. Hey, I hear Trachsel is out there, why not?

Whatever, I'll root for Pie and hope he does well, and I am excited to see him play, but I just dont like the move.

He could DH....

I dont like it.

The CHC have been desperate for outfield, but had no room for Pie. That should tell us something. I'd rather keep Olson.

I dont like it.

So, what? Like SG said, he could DH, first off. But, since when is it bad to have too many good players. A bad idea is ONLY having Reimold as a future potential LFer. Having both Pie and Reimold, plus Scott allows us to deal one of them if need be or have insurance in case one never pans out or gets injured.

I dont like it.

Who cares about Reimold? If Reimold is better than Pie he'll get a shot in LF. As of right now, Pie has the better glove, so I have no idea why everyone is seeking to downgrade at the position.

So, what? Like SG said, he could DH, first off. But, since when is it bad to have too many good players. A bad idea is ONLY having Reimold as a future potential LFer. Having both Pie and Reimold, plus Scott allows us to deal one of them if need be or have insurance in case one never pans out or gets injured.

Exactly. Too much talent is never bad. Especially if you told Pie, Reimold, and Scott that the winner of the three in ST gets the job. You don't think that would spark a competitive fire?

That being said, the naysayers could easily turn that argument around in a pitchers perspective...

I think we should trade Roberts and one of Scott/Reimold to the White Sox for Floyd, Getz, and... I don't know what else but someone pretty good since we were thinking of those two just for Roberts. Is there a young pitcher that is pretty good for the White Sox that Scott could net? Or we could trade Roberts to the Cards. Or we could extend roberts and trade Scott or Reimold but I think we have to trade one of them and let the other full time DH this year and for future years.

Whatever we choose I like this trade but we have some pieces we could and should trade to get some pretty good players.

I dont like it.

MacPhail has already said that if they sign another starter, it won't be a Steve Trachsel type player.

As for the rotation, MacPhail said he'll "stay on the lookout" for another starting pitcher, but he also wants to gives youngsters like Hayden Penn and Radhames Liz a fair shot (we now can eliminate Garrett Olson from that sentence). MacPhail also mentioned Chris Waters, who often gets bypassed in these discussions.

The Orioles aren't looking for another Steve Trachsel type who would be a one-year stopgap at best, "but if something pops up in the market, we'll explore it," MacPhail said.

If we could deal Huff AND Scott for worthwhile prospects, I'd do it. The think that bothers me most about the deal (which I generally approve of) is that it blocks several players who could establish value (Montanez, Reimold, Salazar) at a time where the organization is "auditioning" for 2010-2012. Liz, Penn, Patton, Albers, Hernandez, Bergesen fit into this category and have been afforded roster space to give them a shot. They'll be squeezed soon by Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz, so this is a necessary place to make room for the evaluation of these "lesser" prospects. I'd like to make the same opportunity for Montanez, Reimold and Salazar. However, you need a solid return for either Scott or Huff, and that will be hard to find. Maybe Scott in the offseason and Huff midseason (if Salazar continues to hit). Not saying any of those 3 are building blocks, but I'd hate to have them to blossom somewhere else while getting nothing in return.

Edited by UMDTerrapins

I like the deal, assuming that Williamson is just a throw in type. And here's why:

- I was never really impressed with Olson. Normally, I understand the logic that we need pitching more than an outfielder, etc. But I really don't think that Olson will ever amount to much more than a backend starter. The guy has an upper 80s fastball, a decent curveball and ok changeup. Unless he morphs into Greg Maddux, I just don't think his stuff is good enough to get major league hitters out consistently, especially in the AL. I read where a couple people typed that they hope that Olson doesn't become the next Schilling or Maine. He never had anything close to a young Schilling's ability. And I do think Maine outdistances Olson as well in terms of stuff.

- Now Pie could be Corey Patterson II. But at least Mcphail should be very familiar with him. So he obviously likes his potential. And his speed should at least help make the Orioles a bit more dynamic both in the field and on the bases.