Sign in to follow this  
bigbird

Fwiw

Over at The Baseball Analysts, a great site, Rich Lederer in a new article talks about the value of evaluating pitchers on strikeouts per pitch, or strikeouts per 100 pitches, which has at least the virtue of simplicity and being easy to understand.

Garland and Looper are in the the last (poorest) 30 when looking at k/100. Among the poorest 30 from "better" to worse:

(edited)

Braden Looper 3.34

Paul Byrd 3.24

Daniel Cabrera 3.15

Zach Duke 2.97

Brian Burres 2.90

Jon Garland 2.82

Sidney Ponson 2.68

Livan Hernandez 2.39 (dead last)

Significantly, 3 Yanks, Joba (3rd), Sabathia (4th) and Burnet (6th) are in the top six. :(

David Pinto notes on his site:

"This is why I like those two signings (of CC and AJ). They move the Yankees back to their successful days of the late 1990s and early eighties when the staff struck out batters from top to bottom. With a poor defense behind them, a high strikeout staff covers that weakness, allowing for the strong offense to dominate."

From this k/100 perspective (I know there are other perspectives, groundball outs etc), "innings eater" is a weak encomium for Garland.

Edited by zff4

Where did you see the projections I placed in bold in your reply?

I've looked everywhere, and can't find them. I have to tell you, I find it very hard to believe that Garland's projected AL ERA is 4.23 - that sounds way too low.

Yeah, those are wrong, I looked on the wrong year's Marcel sheet. He's actually at 4.50, I think.

As usual read into this as little or as much as you want. I was told this morning we're talking with 2 free agent starters and there's a very good chance one signs next week.

He also thinks Roberts extension gets done once Hudson signs.

It has been a super quiet Hot Stove week so far, anyone hear any progress about adding a starter?

-Don

It has been a super quiet Hot Stove week so far, anyone hear any progress about adding a starter?

-Don

According to MLBTradeRumers, Garland is talking with Arizona and NYM, while Looper has been linked to the Pirates.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/pagetwo.html

Just throwing out some teams that are linked to the guys Baltimore is interested in.

Guest BrettMeister86

If the only name linked to Looper recently has been the Pilots then the O's have a damn good shot at landing him. I'd give it a 25% chance as of today that Looper signs with Baltimore and it looks like that percentage may increase.

If the only name linked to Looper recently has been the Pilots then the O's have a damn good shot at landing him. I'd give it a 25% chance as of today that Looper signs with Baltimore and it looks like that percentage may increase.
If the only team interested in him is the Pilots then the O's have a 100% chance of signing him. The Seattle Pilots went out of exhistence in 1969 and then became the Brewers.:laughlol:
  • Upvote 1

If the only team interested in him is the Pilots then the O's have a 100% chance of signing him. The Seattle Pilots went out of exhistence in 1969 and then became the Brewers.:laughlol:

But out of the ashes of the Pilots rose the best and funiest baseball book ever written. Jim Bouton's "Ball Four"

It IS Confederate money! Looper is signing with a team that doesn't exist to avoid playing for the Orioles! Oh my god, no!!!

:angryfire::cussing::angryfire::cussing:

• Upvote 1

Hmm. Thanks for the link. Bidding war with the Pirates anyone? :P

-Don

Bring a whole platter of crab cakes in right when the negotiations get hot.

Deal sealed.

After all the moves AM has made to make the team better in the short term. (Gomez, Zaun, Freel) You've got to believe that he won't be content to go into the season with what we've got right now.

I found this interesting... A response to a comment by Roch on his blog;

"The Orioles are monitoring the free-agent market and could pounce if there's a bargain, but I've been told they don't want someone who would just be plugged in for a year, like they tried to do with Steve Trachsel." - Roch

Isn't this contradicting the fact that we are waiting out the market for guys like Garland/Looper/Wolf to come down in years and asking price? I have been assuming that AM is only looking to sign a starter at only a one year deal.

Does this mean we are looking for a long term solution? Or that we're willing to give Garland or Looper a multi-year deal?

"The Orioles are monitoring the free-agent market and could pounce if there's a bargain, but I've been told they don't want someone who would just be plugged in for a year, like they tried to do with Steve Trachsel." - Roch

Uhhh, how's this square with the Hendrickson signing?!?

Uhhh, how's this square with the Hendrickson signing?!?

Well they already have Hendrickson so they aren't NOW looking for this type of guy. What was the point of your post? A quick shot at the O's?

After all the moves AM has made to make the team better in the short term. (Gomez, Zaun, Freel) You've got to believe that he won't be content to go into the season with what we've got right now.

I found this interesting... A response to a comment by Roch on his blog;

Isn't this contradicting the fact that we are waiting out the market for guys like Garland/Looper/Wolf to come down in years and asking price? I have been assuming that AM is only looking to sign a starter at only a one year deal.

Does this mean we are looking for a long term solution? Or that we're willing to give Garland or Looper a multi-year deal?

I'm quite certain the no-Trax comment referred to quality, not contract duration. We want better quality, but only for a single year.