Skywalker76

Your current top 5

Yes, planned before the game but he played tonight in Aberdeen (doubled and scored a run).

I had the pleasure of seeing the game tonight, and sure do love what Matt Angle brings to the game...

I'll go top 10 with the assumption that Matt Weiters signs:

1. Weiters

2. Rowell

3. Olson

4. Liz

5. Hoey

6. Reimold

7. Snyder

8. Erbe

9. Spoone

10. Bascom

I'll agree with Wieters as #1, although I freely admit it's based solely on the reports that I've read since the draft.

1. Wieters

2. Olson

3. Snyder

4. Penn

5. Rowell

6. Liz

7. Reimold

8. Hoey

9. Erbe

10. Beato

Although, I think you can throw a blanket over Beato, Bascom, and Spoonye. And, it kills me that I can't think of one other hitter that I would even consider for the top 10. I might even think of 5 other pitchers before I come to another hitter. Big drop off to Tripp, Davis and Paco Figureroa.

I had the pleasure of seeing the game tonight, and sure do love what Matt Angle brings to the game...

Yeah, my gut feeling on Angle - he might not have a huge ceiling, but he's much more likely to reach his ceiling than the other prospects. A scrapper with some talent = a future major leaguer.

And, it kills me that I can't think of one other hitter that I would even consider for the top 10. I might even think of 5 other pitchers before I come to another hitter. Big drop off to Tripp, Davis and Paco Figureroa.

You're forgetting or overlooking a few Aberdeen players:

• Henson (clearly above all 3 hitters you mentioned, IMO, based on age and level)
  • Mahoney (may enter the picture more if he continues his current hot streak)
  • Angle (awesome OB ability and speed trump lack of power for now)

Also, there are some "early potential" guys down at the rookie levels who could pan out...hopefully at least 1-2 of the following can push to prospect status eventually:

• Binick
  • Black
  • Bonevacia
  • Cardona
  • Chmiel
  • Crowley
  • Kolodny
  • L. Lopez
  • Polanco
  • Pope

So, while we still lack solid hitting prospects at the higher levels, it's not THAT bad.

I'll agree with Wieters as #1, although I freely admit it's based solely on the reports that I've read since the draft.

1. Wieters

2. Olson

3. Snyder

4. Penn

5. Rowell

6. Liz

7. Reimold

8. Hoey

9. Erbe

10. Beato

Although, I think you can throw a blanket over Beato, Bascom, and Spoonye. And, it kills me that I can't think of one other hitter that I would even consider for the top 10. I might even think of 5 other pitchers before I come to another hitter. Big drop off to Tripp, Davis and Paco Figureroa.[/QUOTE]

Henson should certainly at least be considered for the top 10; I've got him in a group with Beato, Spoone, Bascom and Bergesen fighting for the last couple spots. He has made a bunch of errors at SS, but he has the range and arm to play there in the ML. He is hitting for a solid average, while displaying good power, at 19 years old in Aberdeen. He didn't have a chance to focus on baseball in HS due to being a 3-sport athlete, so he is just now being able to use the entire offseason to continue his development. I expect a similar type of leap in production next season from Henson, especially in the field.

1. Weiters

2. Rowell

3. Olson

4. Reimold

5. Liz

6. Snyder

7. Hoey

8. Erbe, I guess

9. Spoone

10. Henson (would rank higher if I thought he could handle SS)

Close to the top 10: Beato, Bascom, Mahoney, Bergesen

One guy who doesn't look like a prospect to me is Matt Angle. I love the OBP and the steals, and I'm sure he helps Aberdeen win ballgames, but guys who can't slug .400 usually don't develop into major league players. He reminds me of Jackie Rexrode or Richard Paz.

One guy who doesn't look like a prospect to me is Matt Angle. I love the OBP and the steals, and I'm sure he helps Aberdeen win ballgames, but guys who can't slug .400 usually don't develop into major league players. He reminds me of Jackie Rexrode or Richard Paz.

As a 21-years old, Brian Roberts slugged .323 in 47 games with Delmarva. Chone Figgins sluuged under .400 every season in the minors until he was 24 years old in the PCL. Nick Punto slugged .319 at 20-years old in the NY-Penn League. Victor Martinez was 20-years old when he slugged .366 in 64 NY-Penn League games.

Having speed, plate discipline and good defensive skills is a great start to any baseball skill set.

As a 21-years old, Brian Roberts slugged .323 in 47 games with Delmarva. Chone Figgins sluuged under .400 every season in the minors until he was 24 years old in the PCL. Nick Punto slugged .319 at 20-years old in the NY-Penn League. Victor Martinez was 20-years old when he slugged .366 in 64 NY-Penn League games.

Having speed, plate discipline and good defensive skills is a great start to any baseball skill set.

It has been said before but Angle has the look of Reggie Willits to me. I also agree with the idea that Angle will almost certainly hit his ceiling where other prospects won't.