melankfo

Tejada is back and killing us again!

This is kind of like arguing about religion. Has anybody changed their mind during this endless argument over the last week?

Yeah...I can't stand SG even more! Just kidding...I actually enjoy SG posts.

I'm not on the "Run Miggy Out Of Town" bandwagon, but this seems silly. Of course he would be criticized for that. There is a third option in addition to 1) Not throwing and 2) Throwing it away. He could 3) Make a good throw like a SS is supposed to do. Whether the runner beats it or not is another issue all together.

A rushed throw is much more likely to go astray then a non-rushed throw. That's simple baseball logic. Then again, it seems that too many (though not you) don't understand the simplest bit of it.

So, his choices are:

1) Not throwing (and getting raked) or

2) Throwing, and having about a 50/50 shot at a bad throw (which I wouldn't be surprised to find out would be better odds then any other shortstop based on his arm), which could advance that runner to second. And getting raked.

A rushed throw is much more likely to go astray then a non-rushed throw. That's simple baseball logic. Then again, it seems that too many (though not you) don't understand the simplest bit of it.

So, his choices are:

1) Not throwing (and getting raked) or

2) Throwing, and having about a 50/50 shot at a bad throw (which I wouldn't be surprised to find out would be better odds then any other shortstop based on his arm), which could advance that runner to second. And getting raked.

I'd say his chances are more than 50/50, but obviously higher than if he didn't have to rush the throw. And, the better he is at SS, presumably the higher the chances that the rushed throw is good.

If anyone wants to figure out why so many quality posters are so condescending to others, all they have to do is read this thread.

When you state an opinion as a fact, one that is not a popular one, and don't or won't provide factual backup other then, "It's what I see," that is going to be the response.

Especially when the same people are making the same mistake again and again, and refuse to pay attention to anything other then whining when people get fed up with their crap.

It's a shame that it has to happen here, because it's one of the things that makes the Sun board such a horrid place. But as long as there are people that seem to believe that they are right and that they don't have to provide even the simplest evidence for their statements, it will happen.

Just proves Mark Twain's thoughts about it better to look like an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Exactly not sure where Palmer isn't critical comes from.

Well, I hear Palmer criticize, but I also can almost hear him biting his tongue in many cases, keeping his "true" thoughts in check. Basically what I mean is he won't throw any thought he has out- like we do on here- but rather very politically, and properly, gives balanced criticism, without being insulting.

Just great. Do you know how many games that fraction of a run would have saved us? That's a fraction of a run we will never get back...never I tell you!

Those stats do not measure mental blunders, and bobbled or botched double play balls which Tejada (I believe) might be among the worst if they kept those sort of stats. To me those stats don't prove that Tejada is not costing the team games far much more than that, which is why I don't rely soley on stats for anything.

I'd say his chances are more than 50/50, but obviously higher than if he didn't have to rush the throw. And, the better he is at SS, presumably the higher the chances that the rushed throw is good.

That's why it was 50/50.

Someone like Hernandez is worse. And Jeter wouldn't have a shot :P

If anyone wants to figure out why so many quality posters are so condescending to others, all they have to do is read this thread.

When you state an opinion as a fact, one that is not a popular one, and don't or won't provide factual backup other then, "It's what I see," that is going to be the response.

Especially when the same people are making the same mistake again and again, and refuse to pay attention to anything other then whining when people get fed up with their crap.

It's a shame that it has to happen here, because it's one of the things that makes the Sun board such a horrid place. But as long as there are people that seem to believe that they are right and that they don't have to provide even the simplest evidence for their statements, it will happen.

Just proves Mark Twain's thoughts about it better to look like an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

If people want to think I am an idiot because I want Tejada defensively replaced as the Orioles shortstop by someone better so be it. I simply don't care one iota. I would rather be right and viewed that way than be wrong and viewed as an expert. :P:)

I don't know how you can draw that conclusion never having seen him shag fly balls from the outfield.

I am talking about his hitting!

Those stats do not measure mental blunders, and bobbled or botched double play balls which Tejada (I believe) might be among the worst if they kept those sort of stats. To me those stats don't prove that Tejada is not costing the team games far much more than that, which is why I don't rely soley on stats for anything.

Actually, some of these stats do purport to include the effects of these types of things. Whether they do so accurately is certainly open to debate.

Please give me your estimate of how many DP balls Tejada has "botched" this year.

If people want to think I am an idiot because I want Tejada defensively replaced as the Orioles shortstop by someone better so be it. I simply don't care one iota. I would rather be right and viewed that way than be wrong and viewed as an expert. :P:)

Tejada is a thoroughbred that needs a better jockey. He has that in Trembley. Great defensive shortstops are a dime a dozen......in the minors. There is a reason great fielding shortstops that bat .200 don't play much. If we could trade Tejada for Jay Bruce then OK maybe we could hide a Luis Hernandez in our line up.

I am talking about his hitting!

Take the other 8 starters on the Orioles team:

C Hernandez

1B Millar

2B Roberts

3B Mora

LF Payton/Gibbons

CF Patterson

RF Markakis

DH Huff/Gibbons

Now, put Tejada in for any of those guys and put Luis Hernandez or Brandon Fahey in at SS. We are definitely a better offensive team with Tejada at SS and our original starter at their position than with Tejada replacing any one of these players at any position and Hernandez/Fahey/Gomez taking over full time at SS.

There is absolutely no reason to even suggest replacing Tejada with any of the guys in our organization at SS. If you want to suggest finding a better defensive SS but someone who can at least hold his own with the bat as well, thats fine, but we don't have that person in our organization.

The bottom line, and I really don't even think this is an opinion but rather a fact (although I haven't looked at the numbers, I'm better they'd support me if I did) is that we are a better overall team with Miggy at SS than with him anywhere else on the diamond and Hernandez/Fahey/Gomez starting every day at SS.

• Upvote 1

Actually, some of these stats do purport to include the effects of these types of things. Whether they do so accurately is certainly open to debate.

Please give me your estimate of how many DP balls Tejada has "botched" this year.

I'd say it was between 5-10. I'd use the term "not turned" instead of botched.