melankfo

Tejada is back and killing us again!

What evidence do you have, other then simple observation, since everyone disagrees on that?

Observation and their stats when they played the stretch Tejada was out in comparison to observation and (recent)stats of Tejada, although stats are not that reliable to me in particular with a player like Tejada who is so erratic where he makes a great play and then turns around with a bonehead play or mental mistake, or just as bad, a bobbled double play ball, which I personally think ought to be counted as an error but that is another argument.

That's why it was 50/50.

Someone like Hernandez is worse. And Jeter wouldn't have a shot :P

But Jeter would twirl around in the air before throwing it away and still make ESPN's top play. :D

He is "projecting" and I am "projecting." Nobody has factual numbers when they are projecting.

So you don't like his "projecting", but yours is OK, even though you are doing the same thing?

There has been games where Tejada's D (or lack thereof) was the difference. One off the top of my head was a play on a fly ball down the LF foul line late in a close game that every ML SS makes and Miggy didn't. It led to runs which were the difference in the game. There was another play where Payton should have called Miggy off, but didn't and Miggy misplayed it. Again the difference in the game. Yesterday he cost us a run with his error, but got it back with his homer. The run extended an inning. Who knows? Maybe Trax pitches 7 yesterday and the O's don't need Shuey/Parrish. What happens then? O's win? Maybe.

Observation and their stats when they played the stretch Tejada was out in comparison to observation and stats of Tejada, although stats are not that reliable to me in particular with a player like Tejada who is so erratic where he makes a great play and then turns around with a bonehead play or mental mistake, or just as bad, a bobbled double play ball, which I personally think ought to be counted as an error but that is another argument.

As I have said before, it's dangerous to rely on the stats generated by Hernandez/Fahey/Gomez, splitting time over one month of play. Fahey and Hernandez both made their share of errors in the minors, but in 8-12 starts each last month they made no errors, so they end up looking better than they might look if you saw more of them. Just as a hitter can have a few weeks where he plays over his head, so can a fielder.

So you don't like his "projecting", but yours is OK, even though you are doing the same thing?

No, what I am saying is neither of us projecting anything is going to convince the other.

As I have said before, it's dangerous to rely on the stats generated by Hernandez/Fahey/Gomez, splitting time over one month of play. Fahey and Hernandez both made their share of errors in the minors, but in 8-12 starts each last month they made no errors, so they end up looking better than they might look if you saw more of them. Just as a hitter can have a few weeks where he plays over his head, so can a fielder.

True, but just as sometimes hitters improve over time from say, the minors to majors and early major career to later, so can fielding.Whose to say that these guys sharpened their trade in the minors and now are better? A lot of fielding is simply preparation, repetitive drills, and mental focus. I think Tejada lacks the mental focus of a Belanger, Ripken, or even Bordick. So why would it be a stretch that he is not as good as Hernandez or Fahey? They could be much better than what they presented stats-wise in the minors now, and meanwhile Tejada has gotten worse.

There has been games where Tejada's D (or lack thereof) was the difference. One off the top of my head was a play on a fly ball down the LF foul line late in a close game that every ML SS makes and Miggy didn't. It led to runs which were the difference in the game. There was another play where Payton should have called Miggy off, but didn't and Miggy misplayed it. Again the difference in the game. Yesterday he cost us a run with his error, but got it back with his homer. The run extended an inning. Who knows? Maybe Trax pitches 7 yesterday and the O's don't need Shuey/Parrish. What happens then? O's win? Maybe.

Which is exactly why I value defense over offense at the very active shortstop position. A less than stellar defensive shortstop can kill his team. It has nothing to do with his offense.

Which is exactly why I value defense over offense at the very active shortstop position.

I'm with you. Sometimes you have to argue with feathers instead of sledgehammers. You're getting it.

I do not agree with your opinion on the underlying issue, but I do agree that this is, at least in part, a matter of opinion. The available statistics do not support your opinion, but there are good arguments to be made that the available statistics do not do a great job of measuring defense and its impact. So, I respect your right to have the opinion you do, even though I think you are wrong.

And I have no problem with you thinking I am wrong, as I could be but than again maybe not.:P Seriously, I just believe that shortstop is such a critical position defensively that you should never sacrifice defense for offense.

If we had proper production from LF, 1B (Millar has been doing good but should never be considered an everyday first baseman in a real lineup) and DH I seriously doubt you'd give a fig about Tejada's "questionable" defense.

If we had proper production from LF, 1B (Millar has been doing good but should never be considered an everyday first baseman in a real lineup) and DH I seriously doubt you'd give a fig about Tejada's "questionable" defense.

Nope, not true. I want the best possible defense at one of the most critical defensive positions on the field at all times.

I think Eli's basic premise is "you only have to win by one run" and we've been losing to many of them.

Precisely. Our record in one-run games is atrocious. Better defense at shortstop would definitely help and it is available.