melankfo

Tejada is back and killing us again!

Precisely. Our record in one-run games is atrocious. Better defense at shortstop would definitely help and it is available.

If you have worse hitting, 1 run games become 2, 3, 4 run games...problem solved?

If you have worse hitting, 1 run games become 2, 3, 4 run games...problem solved?

Right now it is easier to improve the defense than it is the hitting. I don't see the hitting being that significantly worse with Hernandez or Fahey in the lineup instead of Peyton or Gibbons.

Nope, not true. I want the best possible defense at one of the most critical defensive positions on the field at all times.

Well, as taboo as this is, I pretty much call BS. Because with proper offensive output, the very negligible (no matter how you really slice it) difference in defense between Tejada and a defensive whiz SS would be so less noticeable. In other words...a lot less one run games.

But right now, forcing Tejada out of position is a recipe for disaster. You've now only possibly made the defense at SS slightly better on the whole, and the SS position in the lineup is now a hole. You've transplanted Tejada out of his normal position, which has historically caused havoc with players offensive skills as they acclimate to their new position. Could he over come this? Maybe, but with his temperament, it's extremely doubtful. So you've screwed up two positions in the line up for let's say a .5 run difference on defense a game (and that's being generous). Of course, now the offense is scoring potentially 1 run less a game, minimum.

So, if you're very generous on the defense and very minimalist on the offense changes, that is a -.5 change.

Thats generally called a negative move.

Not to mention that it completely destroys Tejada's potential trade value in the offseason. He's a dime a dozen (worse actually) DH or elsewhere. He's an attractive SS.

Precisely. Our record in one-run games is atrocious. Better defense at shortstop would definitely help and it is available.

I don't agree with this argument. I know of no evidence at all to suggest that record in one-run games is correlated to defense. In fact, the O's have the best fielding percentage in the AL, and the best defensive efficiency rating, yet the worst record in one-run games. The two teams with the best record in one- and two- run games are Cleveland and Seattle, both of which are poor fielding, good hitting teams with poor-fielding shortstops. http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/teams/

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2007&seasonType=2&split=82&sortColumn=errors

What the Orioles need are a couple of guys who can hit home runs and turn those one-run losses into one-run victories, or three run victories for that matter.

Well, as taboo as this is, I pretty much call BS. Because with proper offensive output, the very negligible (no matter how you really slice it) difference in defense between Tejada and a defensive whiz SS would be so less noticeable. In other words...a lot less one run games.

But right now, forcing Tejada out of position is a recipe for disaster. You've now only possibly made the defense at SS slightly better on the whole, and the SS position in the lineup is now a hole. You've transplanted Tejada out of his normal position, which has historically caused havoc with players offensive skills as they acclimate to their new position. Could he over come this? Maybe, but with his temperament, it's extremely doubtful. So you've screwed up two positions in the line up for let's say a .5 run difference on defense a game (and that's being generous). Of course, now the offense is scoring potentially 1 run less a game, minimum.

So, if you're very generous on the defense and very minimalist on the offense changes, that is a -.5 change.

Thats generally called a negative move.

Not to mention that it completely destroys Tejada's potential trade value in the offseason. He's a dime a dozen (worse actually) DH or elsewhere. He's an attractive SS.

That one run a game is way, way off. You act like Tejada drives in 162 runs a season. His best year ever was 150 and he hasn't come close to that since, so don't try to spin that number or I will have to call BS! The move could hurt him offensively at first but I believe he would get used to it. Lots of players move. Cal, AROD, Boggs, and it never effected their hitting at all. I doubt other teams would value Tejada for his defense anyway, so I don't see that as much of a worry. He's an attractive bat, not an attractive shortstop. So we will just have to agree to disagree. I did appreciate your green for the thread where we were in agreement on regarding Mazz!:)

I don't agree with this argument. I know of no evidence at all to suggest that record in one-run games is correlated to defense. In fact, the O's have the best fielding percentage in the AL, and the best defensive efficiency rating, yet the worst record in one-run games. The two teams with the best record in one- and two- run games are Cleveland and Seattle, both of which are poor fielding, good hitting teams with poor-fielding shortstops. http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/teams/

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=7&season=2007&seasonType=2&split=82&sortColumn=errors

What the Orioles need are a couple of guys who can hit home runs and turn those one-run losses into one-run victories, or three run victories for that matter.

Interesting, but perhaps it is due to Seattle and Cleveland having strong bullpens maybe along with the hitting?

They must be strong if they can withstand any actual facts that are brought in.

This is officially a political argument, since it is about belief over fact, so I respectfully request that this thread be closed.

Nothing that is a mere projection can logically be construed as a fact. So this thread is not about belief over fact. Please try looking a bit closer before assuming wrongly on this. It most definitely is not a "politcal" argument. That is downright absurd. It is about defense versus offense at shortstop!!!

Nope, not true. I want the best possible defense at one of the most critical defensive positions on the field at all times.

Even if the guy has a batting average of .100 and an OPS of .300?

Q: Why do people think the 2007 Orioles have had problems preventing runs from scoring?

A: I don't know, but it's a misconception that kind of needs to stop.

Didn't HOers watch the games with Hernandez at short. The question is not whether Tejada is an adequate fielder, but rather how much better the O's defense would be with a great fielding SS.

I don't know if Tejada was running all out on the DP. But I do know that a fast runner would have been easily safe at first. Unless Tejada hits with power, his weaknesses in fielding and speed overwhelm his only remaining asset as an above average hitter.

By the way, how much longer do I have to watch Gibbons who is poor in all facets of the game?

Didn't HOers watch the games with Hernandez at short. The question is not whether Tejada is an adequate fielder, but rather how much better the O's defense would be with a great fielding SS.

I don't know if Tejada was running all out on the DP. But I do know that a fast runner would have been easily safe at first. Unless Tejada hits with power, his weaknesses in fielding and speed overwhelm his only remaining asset as an above average hitter.

By the way, how much longer do I have to watch Gibbons who is poor in all facets of the game?

I agree with you on all counts above! Tejada's defensive lapses and baserunning blunders make me wonder how much better this team would be without him sometimes. It would appear sometimes they would be better or at the very least no worse off.

Small sample sizes never really go down without way more than a spoonful of honey.

That one run a game is way, way off. You act like Tejada drives in 162 runs a season. His best year ever was 150 and he hasn't come close to that since, so don't try to spin that number or I will have to call BS! The move could hurt him offensively at first but I believe he would get used to it. Lots of players move. Cal, AROD, Boggs, and it never effected their hitting at all. I doubt other teams would value Tejada for his defense anyway, so I don't see that as much of a worry. He's an attractive bat, not an attractive shortstop. So we will just have to agree to disagree. I did appreciate your green for the thread where we were in agreement on regarding Mazz!:)

ARod's move did effect his bat for awhile. Don't remember about Boggs. Ripken was an exceptionally gifted athlete in the first place who shouldn't have been as good defensively up the middle as he was in the first place.

But the one run is not just Tejada being off, it's the fall off from whoever gets plugged in at short as well. Plus, you're only accounting for RBI's. What about runs scored? I was saying .5+.5. for both variables though. You want to take Tejada out of that spot you have to account for both the offensive hit you take at SS, and the very real and strong possibility that Tejadas offense suffers for a period of time, if he ever truly recovers. You figure he would, but you can't really say for sure whether he'd take to the move well at all. He's a proud guy.