melankfo

Tejada is back and killing us again!

I'm not a Miggy basher and I don't play one on TV and I think the premise of this thread is patently absurd, but Hernandez is a gifted defensive SS IMO and if you replaced Tejada with him you would upgrade the IF defense considerably. You would however be losing about 100 points in OPS at that position. If you put Tejada's' bat at DH you would be upgrading that slot by the 100 points you lost at SS. since the current occupents of that slot are hitting under .700 OPS. So you haven't lost any offense and you have improved the defense. I think if Tejada is traded you have to get at least a 100 point upgrade in offense back, regardless of what position that player/players, plays.

This is a good, succinct argument. It hinges on two things: (1) just how "gifted" Hernandez really is at SS, and (2) whether Hernandez in extended AB could provide as much offense as our current DH crop. I suppose it also hinges on whether Miggy's offensive performance would improve, decline or stay the same if he was moved to DH. My belief is that you would lose some offense, and I doubt the defensive gain would be enough to make up for it. You are putting a lot of faith in Hernandez based on watching him play in 12 major league games. I'm a little inclined to believe more in his minor league record built over a longer period of time. He has a .625 career OPS in the minors, so that's about the max I'd expect from him in the majors over an extended period. Harder to tell about his fielding, but in the full seasons for which stats are available his fielding percentage has ranged from .958 to .977, which is fine, but nothing to suggest he's Ozzie Smith or Otto Vizquel.

So we move Tejada to Left Field..where he is most likely a feilder far below average. He might get hurt, his offense will probably fall as he attempts the new position. Not to mention he doesn't add up to the other Left Fielders of the League (Matsui, Manny, Carlos Lee etc).

All of this while Hernandez and Fahey get even worse at the plate, and possibly in the field, as they approach playing a full season at the major league level..something neither is meant to do.

FANTASTIC.

I am not espousing it as the long term solution by any means.I just think it is worth a trial run the rest of the season. If it proves helpful to our winning and especially to the pitching staff, I would strongly consider making it a permanent move while adding offense somewhere else (DH)

Since this is the "beating a dead horse" thread, I'll like to comment that Jeremy Guthrie's updated BABIP is .252 and has an ERA of 2.98

This is a good, succinct argument. It hinges on two things: (1) just how "gifted" Hernandez really is at SS, and (2) whether Hernandez in extended AB could provide as much offense as our current DH crop. I suppose it also hinges on whether Miggy's offensive performance would improve, decline or stay the same if he was moved to DH. My belief is that you would lose some offense, and I doubt the defensive gain would be enough to make up for it. You are putting a lot of faith in Hernandez based on watching him play in 12 major league games. I'm a little inclined to believe more in his minor league record built over a longer period of time. He has a .625 career OPS in the minors, so that's about the max I'd expect from him in the majors over an extended period. Harder to tell about his fielding, but in the full seasons for which stats are available his fielding percentage has ranged from .958 to .977, which is fine, but nothing to suggest he's Ozzie Smith or Otto Vizquel.
Too bad they don't have MiL stats for RF and ZR for Luis, they would be more telling IMO. You are right about the 100 points figure; Herandez is likely not to hit around .700 OPS. But IMO Miggy is more likely to hit over .800 OPS for the term of his contract. I don't expect much better than .700 from our current DH duo however.:(

I'd love to answer your question, but I can't without making assumptions about Tejada's LF defense.

Could you make the assumption that Tejada's defense in LF would mirror that of Gibbons?

Could you make the assumption that Tejada's defense in LF would mirror that of Gibbons?

Gibby would have more range since he covers more ground with his big goofy strides

This is the problem with your entire argument.

Its based on stuff that no one can make any real assumptions on. Tejada has never played OF in his entire playing career. Gibbons has. So one would think based on that alone that Tejada would be demonstratively worse than even Gibbons.

Okay, if John and Scott aren't going to lock this thread, can we agree to end here? We're going in circles.

This is starting to border on trolling on both sides.

Four more pages after this. For the love of all that is Good and Holy.;) I think we get the idea Eli thinks Miggy hurts the team at SS, Most don't agree, niether are changing thier mind and the FO/Manager doesn't care what we think anyway. :002_ssuprised:

This is the problem with your entire argument.

Its based on stuff that no one can make any real assumptions on. Tejada has never played OF in his entire playing career. Gibbons has. So one would think based on that alone that Tejada would be demonstratively worse than even Gibbons.

Once again, I disagree with you. I don't know if you ever had any actual experience playing organized baseball but going from any infield position to LF would be a much easier transition than vice versa. If you have ever played the game I am sure you would know that. I pitched, played first base, and RF and by far the outfield is the easiest position to learn and play.

I don't know if you ever had any actual experience playing organized baseball but going from any infield position to LF would be a much easier transition than vice versa.
How is this relevant at all? Moving Tejada from SS to LF will almost certainly make him a worse defensive player relative to the position. Simply because he's not accustomed to it. Its completely irrelevant that switching from LF to SS is harder than switching from SS to LF. What is relevant is that switching from SS to LF is harder than staying at SS.

Once again, I disagree with you. I don't know if you ever had any actual experience playing organized baseball but going from any infield position to LF would be a much easier transition than vice versa. If you have ever played the game I am sure you would know that.

And what MLB professional team do you play for again?

And Melvin Mora would disagree with you.

And what MLB professional team do you play for again?

And Melvin Mora would disagree with you.

I never played pro ball but Little League, Senior League, and High School ball. Defense is defense and the positions don't change no matter what level. Did you ask Melvin?

I never played pro ball but Little League, Senior League, and High School ball. Defense is defense and the positions don't change no matter what level. Did you ask Melvin?

Melvin made the transition from LF to 3B and has become one of the better defensive 3B in the AL. he is certainly not a liability there. Thus negating your argument.

High school ball and little league are VASTLY different than professional ball. If you think that its not, well then I think that explains your entire argument.

The Founding Fathers started this country based largely on the ideas of the Enlightenment. Chief among these ideas was that people are rational beings who can make good judgments based on their logical consideration of the different sides of an argument.

Do you believe that, as a rule, peoples' opinions are modifiable based on the merits of an argument and consideration of relevant facts?

If you believe that, how do you explain threads like this one? ('Just curious...)

• Upvote 1