melankfo

Tejada is back and killing us again!

The Founding Fathers started this country based largely on the ideas of the Enlightenment. Chief among these ideas was that people are rational beings who can make good judgments based on their logical consideration of the different sides of an argument.

Do you believe that, as a rule, peoples' opinions are modifiable based on the merits of an argument and consideration of relevant facts?

If you believe that, how do you explain threads like this one? ('Just curious...)

The Enlightenment was French. Meaning its anti-American

MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN!

• Upvote 1

Could you make the assumption that Tejada's defense in LF would mirror that of Gibbons?

Let's do it this way: assume that Tejada could play LF defense equal to the combo of Payton/Gibbons, and that the transition would not affect his offense. I'd say those are both optimistic assumptions, but OK.

Payton and Gibbons have created 56.1 runs in 167 games played, including partial games, pinch hitting appearances etc. So let's just call it 56.1 over a full season. That compares with the estimated 43.8 I used for Fahey/Hernandez. In that scenario, and assuming Fahey/Hernandez are roughly equal to Ozzie Smith, you'd lose 13 runs on offense but gain 17-25 runs on defense. That's a net gain of 4-12 runs, which would be worth 0-2 wins over a year.

However, if you assume that Hernandez/Fahey are not Ozzie Smith but just somewhat above average, that Tejada will not be as good in LF as the Payton/Gibbons combo, and that Miggy's offense will suffer as he learns to playa new position,you are quickly into negative territory.

Let's do it this way: assume that Tejada could play LF defense equal to the combo of Payton/Gibbons, and that the transition would not affect his offense. I'd say those are both optimistic assumptions, but OK.

Payton and Gibbons have created 56.1 runs in 167 games played, including partial games, pinch hitting appearances etc. So let's just call it 56.1 over a full season. That compares with the estimated 43.8 I used for Fahey/Hernandez. In that scenario, and assuming Fahey/Hernandez are roughly equal to Ozzie Smith, you'd lose 13 runs on offense but gain 17-25 runs on defense. That's a net gain of 4-12 runs, which would be worth 0-2 wins over a year.

However, if you assume that Hernandez/Fahey are not Ozzie Smith but just somewhat above average, that Tejada will not be as good in LF as the Payton/Gibbons combo, and that Miggy's offense will suffer as he learns to playa new position,you are quickly into negative territory.

There you have it.

If Tejada is as good as Payton and Gibbons in LF and the Fahey/Hernandez combo is as good as Ozzie Smith (the best defense SS of a generation) The Orioles might improve 0-2 wins.

Odds are they would be worse.

This argument is over.

So Tejada's offense makes up for Payton's but NOT Fahey/Hernandez?

WHAT?!

WHAT?!

my brain just exploded

It took this long? You are a better man than I, sir.

I never played pro ball but Little League, Senior League, and High School ball. Defense is defense and the positions don't change no matter what level. Did you ask Melvin?

I don't think there is a blanket answer to the question of whether a starting infielder can make a good transition to outfield, and how long it takes. It depends on the player. No question that some have done it successfully, though. Here are a few examples:

Brian Knoblauch: Rate of 99 in LF and 100 in CF

Alfonso Soriano: Rates of 109 in LF and CF

Jerry Hairston: Rates of 114 in LF, 103 in CF, 103 in RF

Robin Yount: Rates of 95 in LF and 96 in CF 9 (a little below par, but not terrible)

All of those guys had better foot speed than Tejada, though.

MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SilentJames again.

I don't think there is a blanket answer to the question of whether a starting infielder can make a good transition to outfield, and how long it takes. It depends on the player. No question that some have done it successfully, though. Here are a few examples:

Chuck Knoblauch: Rate of 99 in LF and 100 in CF

Alfonso Soriano: Rates of 109 in LF and CF

Jerry Hairston: Rates of 114 in LF, 103 in CF, 103 in RF

Robin Yount: Rates of 95 in LF and 96 in CF 9 (a little below par, but not terrible)

All of those guys had better foot speed than Tejada, though.

Fixed it for you

Four more pages after this. For the love of all that is Good and Holy.;) I think we get the idea Eli thinks Miggy hurts the team at SS, Most don't agree, niether are changing thier mind and the FO/Manager doesn't care what we think anyway. :002_ssuprised:
Since it is rumored that the FO and Manager read this Board, maybe if this thread goes on long enough, they will trade Tejada for a bag of balls just to put an end to it.:D

MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN!

The French would have you believe that but it's not true, and any way the current administration has put the Elightenment out of it's misory.:002_sbiggrin:

There are some opinions which, after enough vetting, come across as uninformed and silly. Yet people still give them credence and continue to argue as if it's needed. I'm finally putting this to bed. Saving you from yourselves I guess. Someone start arguing the earth is flat instead.

• Upvote 1