Frobby

Assuming he's done, grade MacPhail's offseason

Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)

This poll is closed to new votes

According to both Roch and Schmuck, and MacPhail's own comments on the Scott & Anita show, it appears Andy MacPhail is done for the winter. Now, we know that can always change in the blink of an eye, and the BRob situation remains a pretty big issue. But assuming that this is the team we are bringing to spring training, what's your grade for Andy this winter?

Personally, I give him a solid B. Thought about a B+, but I'm still very nervous about the starting pitching for 2009 and the BRob situation remains something of a dark cloud.

Long term:

- Signed Markakis (by far the most important thing that happened this winter)

- Acquired Pie (not a sure thing, but very significant upside)

- Acquired Hill (in my estimation a long shot, but still very significant upside at low cost)

- Broke into the Japanese market (Uehara himself is not a long term move)

Short term:

- Greatly improved the defense

- Greatly improved the bench

- Improved flexibility of the position players

- Improved the depth of pitching, though no assured improvement of quality

I'm going the C+ to B- grade. He's been very active for the past month but still has not addressed the rotation which he stated was our #1 priority and did not add any impact player to the talent level.

Yeah, there should have been a "D" option. I actually had to vote C- reluctantly as I thought that was too high but an F too low.

I'm going the C+ to B- grade. He's been very active for the past month but still has not addressed the rotation which he stated was our #1 priority and did not add any impact player to the talent level.

Rich Hill says hi.

Not to mention the 36 other pitchers that will be in camp.

Did Andy spit in your cereal or what?

• Upvote 1

D+

Quantity doesn't mean quality with the SP. The rotation looks more bleak at the beginning of the 09 season than it did at the beginning of the 08 season. We know how Loewen turned out but at the beginning of the 08 season, but he seemed poised for a good year. I don't have high hopes for any potential pitcher for the coming year like I did for Loewen last year.

The fallen prospects are exciting (Hill and Pie), don't know what they will contribute but the mystery of whether they'll materialize is going to be fun to watch.

Future SS is a major hole, nothing has been done there for years, and don't say Miclat, we'd be lucky if he's as good as Ceaser Isturz.

Some of the acquisitions seems strikingly similar to the acquisitions which have put the O's in the mess they are in now. Signing vets who will hold a spot for a few years, but never do anything to help the O's actually win anything. Ty Wiggington, Izturz, Braden Looper, Greg Zaun. Come on, theses guys would never be considered by contending teams? How are they any different than Marty Cordova, Mike Bordick, Jay Payton, Steve Trachsel. Not obtaining any star players or players with star potential make it impossible for me to give anything other than a D+.

This team is destine to be the 5th place team in the east by a mile and in contention with the Nats and Pirates for the worst team in the league.

• Upvote 1

I give him a B. I understand why the unsettled BRob situation has a lot of fans uneasy... but why isn't obvious to everyone that the trade market has dried up for Roberts and in the current economic climate, there is no reason to give into his demands? I would probably be more upset if AM traded BRob for a can of beans or signed him to an insane contract extension.

Rich Hill says hi.

How many pitchers were in camp last year? Bottom line is you have Guthrie and a pile of question marks concerning the rotation. Not good if that was your offseason priority.

Rich Hill says hi.

Rich Hill is a complete reclamation project and over the last year he has been less capable of consistently hitting the strike zone than Daniel Cabrera. If you don't believe me look up the stats yourself.

Just because 36 other pitchers will be in camp it doesn't mean any of them are good enough to be counted on.

D+

Quantity doesn't mean quality with the SP. The rotation looks more bleak at the beginning of the 09 season than it did at the beginning of the 08 season. We know how Loewen turned out but at the beginning of the 08 season, but he seemed poised for a good year. I don't have high hopes for any potential pitcher for the coming year like I did for Loewen last year.

The fallen prospects are exciting (Hill and Pie), don't know what they will contribute but the mystery of whether they'll materialize is going to be fun to watch.

Future SS is a major hole, nothing has been done there for years, and don't say Miclat, we'd be lucky if he's as good as Ceaser Isturz.

Some of the acquisitions seems strikingly similar to the acquisitions which have put the O's in the mess they are in now. Signing vets who will hold a spot for a few years, but never do anything to help the O's actually win anything. Ty Wiggington, Izturz, Braden Looper, Greg Zaun. Come on, theses guys would never be considered by contending teams? How are they any different than Marty Cordova, Mike Bordick, Jay Payton, Steve Trachsel. Not obtaining any star players or players with star potential make it impossible for me to give anything other than a D+.

This team is destine to be the 5th place team in the east by a mile and in contention with the Nats and Pirates for the worst team in the league.

I totally agree. Other than the two trades last year this year's version of Andy McPhail reeks of Syd Thrift Part II!:(

I would say C or worse if it means that he will not:

1) Trade or sign B Rob

2) Add another established starter like Looper.

You picked precisely the correct areas of concern. And yet, for each of them, the timing is probaby optimal to nail them in the next week to 10 days rather than at any point leading up to today. AM has laid the groundwork for a BRob signing by getting every other piece of business in order to demonstrate that this team is indeed going in exactly the right direction. That takes the "direction-of-the team" consideration off the table, and it moves things squarely into the years / dollars per per / options part of the discussion, which is where it needs to be. This could get done any day. If it doesn't (and I'm good for a 4/44 with a team option for 5/55, starting 2009), then I'll revise substantially downward my own assessment that this has been an A++ offseason for Andy.

As for Looper and Wolf, Andy has played it cool as a cucumber. Again, I expect that this gets done, as he still has that desire, and the two players seem to have only two serious suitors. I expect and assume that this is simply at the Cool Hand Luke stage. Again, if Andy somehow loses out here and if we can attribute the loss to some mis-step on his part, then he should take a hit for that. But nothing negative has happened yet with the 2-club (we think), 2-player game of chicken.

D+

In year's past - Willington, Izturz, Zaun, etc. would be looked at as long term solutions for those positions. When we signed Cordova, Bordick, etc. - we thought that we somehow discovered a talent that the rest of the league missed and they were going to bloom. I think that we all know - including the FO - that these players signed this year are placeholders until long term solutions are found.

And every team needs to find and sign a Willington and Zaun type of players. Really good teams put them on their bench. Poor teams pretend they are long term solutions, and smart/rebuilding teams use them as short term solutions.

I totally agree. Other than the two trades last year this year's version of Andy McPhail reeks of Syd Thrift Part II!:(

Please explain the comparison to Syd Thrift more thoroughly for me. Even though I am not completely overwhelmed with excitement by the moves made this offseason, I can not argue with any move that was made. They all made sense. Although guys like Zaun, Hendrickson and Wiggington are of the similar mold as say a Jay Payton or even Kris Benson, they are here for significantly less cash and were not offered arbitration, which means that we do not give up any draft picks for these guys.

The idea is re-building without embarassing. We are making sure that we have a competent product on the field so as to not scare fans away while also allowing our farm talent to ride through the system and arrive when they are in fact on of the best twenty-five players in the Orioles' system.

I gave him a B. Had he addressed BRob either by trade or extension and aquired Looper, it would have been an A-. As to the starting pitching; last year Guts, DCab, Loewen,Trax, and Burres, were all question marks and save Liz and Olson we didn't have much behind them. This year Guts is not a queston mark and we have 36 possible solutions behind him.