Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Assuming he's done, grade MacPhail's offseason

Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)  

432 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)

He's a definite candidate to breakdown sometime in those 7 years! He's already has logged 1659 innings in 254 starts at the age of 27 in 8 seasons. That comes out to 207 innings in 31.75 starts per season.

:eek:

I see your point, but what AM got cost little and is worth the same. To me just a huge waste of time and an exercise in either wishful thinking (more like dreaming) or stupidity, I don't know which.:rolleyestf:

This so-called rotation assembled by AM is about the most ridiculous group I have yet seen. He cannot actually expect to sell this bill of useless goods to knowledgable Orioles fans as satisfactory when it is so pitiful in quality?:old5fan:

Edited by Old#5fan

Yup, the scouts were onto Sherrill's schtick by the trade deadline last year. Johnson is probably not as good as his numbers indicate, judging by his BB/K ratio. Ray was an average closer at best before he got hurt, and now he's coming off surgery. And Hoey has floundered every time he's faced big league competition. The notion that a team would give up a major pitching prospect for this group is absurd.

I agree Sherrill should have been moved by the trading deadline last year, and a younger more dynamic GM would have done so instead of the ultra conservative McPhail. I wasn't really looking for a number one starter prospect more like a solid two or three which should have been available from a team in contention that was desparate for a closer. Weren't the Cardinals looking for a closer, or was it the Dodgers last year?

I agree Sherrill should have been moved by the trading deadline last year, and a younger more dynamic GM would have done so instead of the ultra conservative McPhail. I wasn't really looking for a number one starter prospect more like a solid two or three which should have been available from a team in contention that was desparate for a closer. Weren't the Cardinals looking for a closer, or was it the Dodgers last year?

I can't speak for who or what was looking for a closer before the July 31st deadline. But when the team asked for waivers for him in August, Sherrill was claimed by an AL team and pulled back, thus he could not have gone to a NL team.

Huff, Millar, Payton Clear Waivers

The Sun also mentioned that George Sherrill was claimed by an AL team and pulled back, which was expected.

I quoted you accidentally...I meant to quote another poster. My apologies. And yes, I've overstated things a bit when it comes to the importance of winning in 2009, but only a bit. You don't want to become so bad that all the players give up hope. You need to try and remain as competitive as possible while hewing to the long-term goals of the team. That's where the signings of guys like Izturis and Wigginton fit in for me. Maybe even Uehara.
Apology gladly accepted. Words of wisdom gladly agreed to, for the most part. But I think it goes beyond merely not wanting to become so bad that all the players give up hope. I think Andy has embarked upon the following dual strategy:

# 1: The primary objective is to max out during the period commencing with 2010 and extending for many years into the future. You and I apparently agree that this is a very wise and wonderful approach.

# 2: As for 2009, you're stating it as a constraint, in the sense that we shouldn't be below a certain level of awful-ness. I think it goes well beyond that. It's not merely a constraint to not be bad; it's an Objective to be very good. Andy's not delusional enough to think we have a realistic shot at the playoffs. Yet he's not also not so nihilistic to think we have ZERO chance either. I think he's really trying to work every managerial fiber in his body to try to improve our odds of a playoff run as early as 2009, even if it means bumping up the probability for that first year from 2% to 5% -- as long as it does no material damage to the primary objective of setting us up for the championship-era run for the ensuing decade. This is truly an exciting time to be an O's fan!

How about Sabathia? If not a big name signing how about a trade? This team needs an ace so Guthrie can be a number two guy, and elevate the entire rotation. I am convinced of it. Instead we get the equivilent of Josh Towers types. As an Orioles fan this is extremely disappointing and frustrating to no end.

This Oriole fan is extremely optimistic and happy about the direction of the team. They have six or eight potential aces in the system locked in at a fraction of market prices for many years to come. That's how you beat teams with two or three or four times your revenues.

He made significant improvements to the franchise long-term by signing a young star for 6 years, breaking into the Japanese market, and by not signing any pitchers who will block the youngsters still in need of another season of minor-league ball. Deficiencies remain, but it was next to impossible for MacPhail to cure all of those in one off season. The inroads he has made should have lasting, long-term effects.

Most importantly, for the first time in a long time, I trust my team's front office. The best move of the off season was not a single move at all but the totality of all the moves made.

• Upvote 1

I voted B+ to B, but don't think he deserves a B+. I'd give him a B.

Mainly because I like the low risk/high reward pick ups like Pie & Hill. And I like that he's exploring the international market by dipping into Japan. Plus he signed Markakis long term, which is huge.

If he would have moved guys like Roberts, Scott or Sherrill for more young talent, I'd have given him an A.

Still too many stop gaps and not enough long term direction for my taste.

I guess if you consider this season a total waste of time as in complete throw away with starting pitching that most teams would look at and laugh about, than what McPhail did would be okay. I mean there were some positives in that he got rid of Cabrera and Hernandez. And ass far as position players what he has done, I have no complaint but Lord Almighty, I just cannot get by this putrid starting rotation. It honestly reeks even in a total rebuild year.:(

I guess if you consider this season a total waste of time as in complete throw away with starting pitching that most teams would look at and laugh about, than what McPhail did would be okay. I mean there were some positives in that he got rid of Cabrera and Hernandez. And ass far as position players what he has done, I have no complaint but Lord Almighty, I just cannot get by this putrid starting rotation. It honestly reeks even in a total rebuild year.:(

Again, if you understood the concept of a multi-year project to rebuild the organization you'd probably have a different opinion. Actully, you probably wouldn't because any other opinion wouldn't devolve into a 67-page thread of you fending off scathing criticism from everyone else who's ever registered on the board.

Again, if you understood the concept of a multi-year project to rebuild the organization you'd probably have a different opinion. Actully, you probably wouldn't because any other opinion wouldn't devolve into a 67-page thread of you fending off scathing criticism from everyone else who's ever registered on the board.

I understand it but he better seriously consider some drastic ideas to improve/upgrade even bring up to major league par or average the future rotation of this team in years to come. Right now it is scary bad.:eek: Unlike you I have little faith in "projecting' any of these prospects in the pipeline to high level major league success. The Orioles historic transition from highly rated Triple A prospects to major league success seems to follow the pattern of the Garrett Olsons, Liz's and Penn's. Floundering pitching prospects at the Major League Level has become the modern "Oriole Way" sadly.:(

Edited by Old#5fan

I give MacPhail a solid A. He's made some smart trades to pick up players who have underachieved but with huge potential in Pie & Hill. Traded a catcher with questionable motivation & defensive skills for a couple of prospects and a high motor role player. Further, for the average fan in the stands, he signed the face of the franchise to a long term contract.

In regards to Brian Roberts, he made a reported $30 million 3 years contract offer. Maybe high, maybe low but definitely a lot of money for a 30 year old second baseman during a serious economic downturn.

Finally, and most importantally, he's got the full support of Peter Angelos. That's a lot more than any of his predecessors can say. With a little luck, a few above average drafts, the Orioles might make Sports Center in a couple of years

How about Sabathia? If not a big name signing how about a trade? This team needs an ace so Guthrie can be a number two guy, and elevate the entire rotation. I am convinced of it. Instead we get the equivilent of Josh Towers types. As an Orioles fan this is extremely disappointing and frustrating to no end.

Couldn't agree more. Any time a mid-market team like the Orioles has a chance to lock up a 300 lb pitcher for only $161 million guaranteed you just gotta pull the trigger.

I gave MacPhail a B+. My biggest complaint would be not having the Roberts situation resolved. If the CWS actually offered Floyd for Roberts then we should have taken it. I'm still amazed that we got a legitimate major league player for Ramon. I would have given him up for a bag of balls and a pack of grape big league chew. I love how much competition there will be for the rotation in ST. It's more quantity than quality but I think we'll still see a couple guys emerge from nowhere to be contributors. Pauley, Parrish, Hill.. I think you'll see these guys help the team quite a bit this year and we all gave up for them was Randor Bierd and a guy who is less of a prospect than old #5 fan.

Guest rochester
I'm going the C+ to B- grade. He's been very active for the past month but still has not addressed the rotation which he stated was our #1 priority and did not add any impact player to the talent level.

I do not necessarily disagree with the pitching but am willing to let the results decide. Impact player is ambiguous to me. Texeira? CC? AJ? Who else? What impact player makes sense - Dunn is a 1-way pony.