Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Assuming he's done, grade MacPhail's offseason

Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)  

432 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)

I was all about the blow it up thing from the start, and I think AM has done a masterful job of blowing it up in a smart and careful way. Yeah, I would have liked to have seen Mora dealt, but I just don't think that was ever a possibility. He stated up front that he was interested in aquiring young high upside players and amassing a large pool of young and talented arms. I really can't fault his plan, and I think he has done a great job of accomplishing what he set out to do. Jones, Pie and Markakis represent one of the most athletic young OF's in all of baseball. Weiters is a young Catcher with a ceiling in the stratosphere. Matuzs, Arrietta, Tillman, Patton, Albers, Penn....Our depth of quality arms in the wings is unbelievable. I really believe. This guy has renewed my faith in the organization, and I really think the O's are on there way.

That really sums it up well. He's done a good job, but more than that - he's restored our faith in the organization.

I believe that we were certainly a option. I dont believe we deserved or should of expected a hometown discount.

Really the Orioles obviously half-A-S-Sed the whole thing. The problem is I dont understand why. I would have respected them for saying they really weren't interested in Tex at this point because of the many other holes left to address. But if they really were interested in him their reported bid was on the low end. Meaning we virtually had no shot.

It's really quite simple. The O's believed or were led to believe, that Tex had a serious interest in playing for his "hometown" team. They weren't prepared to pay 10/200+, but they were prepared to go higher than 7/140 if he was serious about playing for B'more. Oviously he wasn't.

I dont believe Mcphail did much to upgrade the rotation. It had to be the biggest off season priority. I'd be ok with Uehara if he had been added to be the #5 not the #2. Same thing with Hill, Pauley & the other guys with high 5 or 6 era's.

Really heres what I see

#1 Starter (The Orioles dont have one)

#2 Starter (Guthrie)

#3 Starter (The Orioles dont have one)

#4 Stater (The Orioles dont have one

#5 Starter one of Uehara,Pauley,Penn,Hendrickson etc etc etc

The fact that we really only have one major league proven pitcher (Guts) is absurd when you consider it was the downfall of last years team.

Amazing post. That is exactly/precisely how I feel about the rotation and you last sentence is spot on! I would give you more props but the rep. system won't allow it!:(

I agree with all of this 100%. From the end of last season I had been proclaiming we needed to add 3 starters, we haven't. What FA pitchers should we have gone after? We made an effort at Burnett, he was to expensive. I don't know of many more on the FA side I would have been excited about. As far as trades, hard to speculate what we could get and who we'd have to give up. I agree we've signed several "what if" players and that 2009 will be another losing year unless half of them step up.

Props to you for agreeing with JohnnyK27's spot on post!:clap3:

Looks as though 5 people actually think this team has gotten worse since last season "C or worse (which translates to D) or "F"...which is completely baffling logic! Eh, to each their own.

While AM didn't (IMO), make any dramatic head turning moves this off season, I believe he has done enough to improve this team as a whole and begin to build a solid foundation within the organization. There is just no way this team is in a worse situation entering 2009 than we were in 2008.I'm guessing the D's and F's are people who were looking for us to sign all the players the Yanks signed? Heck, even JTrea gave the man a B fellas...lighten up a little. AM is doing a fine job. Is he making all of the right moves...no. Are there any GM's that are making all the right moves...no! Someone might argue Bean, Cashman, Epstein, eh whatever...not even all the moves they make pan out the way they wish, no GM pulls all the right strings...sorry to disappoint you.

I have a feeling if we had some "higher power" were in the front office making all the moves for this team, then some people would still argue he could have done better. Just go do the job yourself if you think AM is such a failure.

In relation to the other teams in the division who were already much better than the Orioles to begin with the Orioles have not improved their chances over last season IMO. Therefore, I strongly disagree with your bolded statement good sir!:eek:

I classify a C as staying about the same. I dont see much guaranteed improvement in the rotation.

Isturis is a upgrade at SS ... Pie & Hill are big ???????? We removed Olson & his 6+ era & replaced him with a bunch of other guys that will likely have High

5 to 6.5 era's.

The Rotation could actually be worse. If Hill turns out to be a flop & Uehara doesn't convert well the rotation IS actually worse.

Once again I totally agree with you on this! Amazing, there has so far in all my time here nobody I have agreed with as much!:clap3::eek:

I classify a C as staying about the same. I dont see much guaranteed improvement in the rotation.

Isturis is a upgrade at SS ... Pie & Hill are big ???????? We removed Olson & his 6+ era & replaced him with a bunch of other guys that will likely have High

5 to 6.5 era's.

The Rotation could actually be worse. If Hill turns out to be a flop & Uehara doesn't convert well the rotation IS actually worse.

All I know is some people can't see the forest for the trees...it's like 2009 is going to be the last season of baseball played...ever!!! It's this year or bust. Just take a step back, take a deep breath. Look at the roster a few years ago, and then look at the roster today, and try, TRY to comprehend what this team is building towards. They are laying a great foundation for the future. If you think this off season is about 2009...if anyone thinks this off season is about 2009, then they just aren't seeing the bigger picture here. This team is in a much better position right now, then I can remember in recent history.

All I know is some people can't see the forest for the trees...it's like 2009 is going to be the last season of baseball played...ever!!! It's this year or bust. Just take a step back, take a deep breath. Look at the roster a few years ago, and then look at the roster today, and try, TRY to comprehend what this team is building towards. They are laying a great foundation for the future. If you think this off season is about 2009...if anyone thinks this off season is about 2009, then they just aren't seeing the bigger picture here. This team is in a much better position right now, then I can remember in recent history.

Only if two - four years down the road the starting pitching prospects pan out. If not, this team is destined for perpetual last place. I still think AM is gambling too much on rejects, retreads, and future huge question marks for a major league baseball team's rotation. And that is not good in my view.:(

Edited by Old#5fan
  • Upvote 1

Only if two - four years down the road the starting pitching prospects pan out. If not, this team is destined for perpetual last place. I still think AM is gambling too much on rejects, retreads, and future hughe question marks for a major league baseball team's rotation. And that is not good in my view.:(

Old Fan, you are good in a debate, and I see your points, understand them and respect them. I think I am going to gamble on our prospects. I like what this organization is doing, and yes, you ARE correct in saying that in regards to the other teams in the AL East (minus the Blue Jays), we are about in the same position as always...but we have improved as a team and an organization and we are building towards something great. I think we will achieve 4th place this season, and when you follow a team like the Orioles...4th place is a step in the right direction. :)

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing the D's and F's are people who were looking for us to sign all the players the Yanks signed?

You would be guessing wrong in my case.

I have been very clear that signing or trading Roberts is one of the top priority of this offseason IMO. It is more important than anything that has been done this winter other then signing Nick. This thread says assume that McPhail is done. If he is done there is no signing or trading of BRob. I think that would be a big mistake.

Secondly, I agree with BB that the O's need another established starter for this season. They had the worse rotation in baseball last year and have swapped Cabrera and Olson for Uehara, Hendrickson and Hill. Though that might be some improvement, it is no where close to the kind of improvement that MacPhail lead me to believe he was going to do when at the beginning of the off season saying the priority is pitching, pitching, pitching.

I know the O's are not supposed to compete this year but we a ranking on what MacPhail as done to date. A very iffy rotation and an unresolve Roberts situation deserves no more then a C IMO. Quite frankly I am amazing that so many people graded him so high when the question saying assume these things will not happen. We are grading on MacPhail being done, not projecting what we hope he will do.

Edited by wildcard

I'm guessing the D's and F's are people who were looking for us to sign all the players the Yanks signed? QUOTE]

I have been very clear that signing or trading Roberts is one of the top priority of this offseason IMO. It is more important than anything that has been done this winter other then signing Nick. This thread says assume that McPhail is done. If he is done there is no signing or trading of BRob. I think that would be a big mistake.

Secondly, I agree with BB that the O's need another established starter for this season. They had the worse rotation in baseball last year and have swapped Cabrera and Olson for Uehara, Hendrickson and Hill. Though that might be some improvement, it is no where close to the kind of improvement that MacPhail lead me to believe he was going to do when at the beginning of the off season saying the priority is pitching, pitching, pitching.

I know the O's are not supposed to compete this year but we a ranking on what MacPhail as done to date. A very iffy rotation and an unresolve Roberts situation deserves no more then a C IMO. Quite frankly I am amazing that so many people graded him so high when the question saying assume these things will not happen. We are grading on MacPhail being done, not projecting what we hope he will do.

I see your point, you raise good and valid points, especially on the Roberts front. The rest I see what you are saying, but I guess I'm looking at it from quite a different angle. I just don't hold the view that this off season is about 2009. I'm probably in the minority, but I think in the bigger picture, and the grand scheme of things, AM has us in a great position.

But, I do see your point about Roberts and it's very valid, although I'm not so rabid to re sign him honestly. He is a great GREAT player...but if we extend him...OK...and if we don't...OK there too. Those are all just opinions though.

Good post, thanks for explaining your grade as I don't follow what people are most passionate about on this board.

I'm guessing the D's and F's are people who were looking for us to sign all the players the Yanks signed? QUOTE]

It's a C if you think the team hasn't improved. We have definitely improved short term and long term IMO, regardless of the SP. SP will be no worse than last season and most likely better just from shear numbers

I see your point, you raise good and valid points, especially on the Roberts front. The rest I see what you are saying, but I guess I'm looking at it from quite a different angle. I just don't hold the view that this off season is about 2009. I'm probably in the minority, but I think in the bigger picture, and the grand scheme of things, AM has us in a great position.

But, I do see your point about Roberts and it's very valid, although I'm not so rabid to re sign him honestly. He is a great GREAT player...but if we extend him...OK...and if we don't...OK there too. Those are all just opinions though.

Good post, thanks for explaining your grade as I don't follow what people are most passionate about on this board.

I don't agree about Roberts. I trust AM's judgement, he's given me no reason not to, and if he feels he hasn't gotten better offers in trade, than 2 draft picks, then so be it. I still think BRob has more value at trade deadline.

It's a C if you think the team hasn't improved. We have definitely improved short term and long term IMO, regardless of the SP. SP will be no worse than last season and most likely better just from shear numbers

Hmm, I think I'm beginning to see the problem perhaps with the thread (no disrespect to the poster who started the thread). I think some of us are basing our grades off of different things. And some of us are interpreting the grading system differently. "C" would surely mean that the 2009 team is about on par with the 2008 team. D & F would mean 2009 will be worse...A& B would mean 2009 will be better than 2008, all of this based on what AM has done this off season, at least that's how I interpreted it. Am I wrong here? BTW, I'm agreeing with you El Gordo.

I don't agree about Roberts. I trust AM's judgement, he's given me no reason not to, and if he feels he hasn't gotten better offers in trade, than 2 draft picks, then so be it. I still think BRob has more value at trade deadline.

Yeah, I probably should commit to the situation one way or another, I'm just fine with it either way. I completely agree about AM, I trust what he is doing. I guess you would put me in the camp that says "We've been drafting pretty well in recent history, so give me the two draft picks." Simply an opinion. The trade deadline is intriguing however...:scratchchinhmm: