Frobby

Assuming he's done, grade MacPhail's offseason

Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Grade MacPhail's offseason (assuming he's done)

This poll is closed to new votes

I see your point, you raise good and valid points, especially on the Roberts front. The rest I see what you are saying, but I guess I'm looking at it from quite a different angle. I just don't hold the view that this off season is about 2009. I'm probably in the minority, but I think in the bigger picture, and the grand scheme of things, AM has us in a great position.

But, I do see your point about Roberts and it's very valid, although I'm not so rabid to re sign him honestly. He is a great GREAT player...but if we extend him...OK...and if we don't...OK there too. Those are all just opinions though.

Good post, thanks for explaining your grade as I don't follow what people are most passionate about on this board.

Thanks.

I think Roberts is too value to just get draft choices for. 2010 draft choices probably do not help the O's until some where between 2013-2016 if they turn out to be good enough to help the O's at all. It will not help them with a 2011-2012 run for the playoffs. That is why signing or trading Roberts is so important to the O's franchise.

• Upvote 1

A-/B+. The Markakis extension alone would be enough to get him to a B-. I don't have any big problems with what he did, but I'm not crazy about letting Cabrera go, signing Hendrickson, and not getting the BRob situation resolved; neither of the first two is a big deal, and he may be doing as well as possible with BRob. I still think Olson has potential, so I wish we could have gotten Pie another way, and I'm uncertain whether it was the right move to get him at all. I also wish that we could have gotten something for Huff or Mora, but there seems to be no market for Huff and Mora has the NTC, so it's hard to blame him for that. And he got rid of Hernandez and actually got something back. I'm glad we didn't sign Tex for that price. I like the Izturis and Uehara signings and lurve trading for Hill. We didn't go to arbitration with anyone, which is always a good thing.

We have improved over 2008 in terms of defense and offense IMO. SP is at least as good. Remember last season, all of Guts, DCab, Loewen, Trax, and Burres were question marks, and we didn't have 10-12 ML ready SP to back them up.

I absolutely agree, not to repeat what you have said, but the defense is improved. Defense up the middle being the most important with Adam Jones, Brian Roberts, and an actual shortstop...Izturis...he's not going to light the world on fire, but after least season I will take it.

Anything is better behind the plate than Ramon was, and to be honest I have no knowledge of Zaun defensive skill set, but I can't imagine him being worse than Ramon, although I have been wrong before.

I think that the offense should be about on par or perhaps a bit better, but a lot of that depends on if Huff remains the 2008 Huff, does Mora regress, what will Pie bring to the table, how much will Jones improve, what can Izturis give us with the bat, but without a doubt the bench will be much stronger.

And again I can't see the starting pitching getting much worse..we were the pits last season. Trax was horrid, DCab was DCab, Loewen doesn't even pitch anymore and Burres never impressed me as a starter...OK, he did have some good starts, I admit. But I am just happy we have some different folks in the rotation and not throwing the same lot out there again. Could they be worse? Sure. I'm just hoping for the best, but again, I'm looking past 2009. This off season is in no way about 2009. Good post sir.

It's a C if you think the team hasn't improved. We have definitely improved short term and long term IMO, regardless of the SP. SP will be no worse than last season and most likely better just from shear numbers

First I don;t think we've done anything to improve long term. Second. here's the way I broke it down.

A - Added a few impact talents to the organization

B - Added proven players who can help for a few year

C - Added no impact talent but did add players with some upside/risk

D - Talent level remained the same

F - Talent level declined/

I don't agree about Roberts. I trust AM's judgement, he's given me no reason not to, and if he feels he hasn't gotten better offers in trade, than 2 draft picks, then so be it. I still think BRob has more value at trade deadline.

IMO you are confusing the answer to this question with your respect for MacPhail. That is not the issue at all. I respect MacPhail too. I fully expect him to trade or sign Roberts in the next month. However that is not what the question in this thread is asking. The thread asks, if he is done now, grade him. That means the Roberts is not signed or traded and no established pitcher is added.

That is totally different then not respecting McPhail. I say he is not done yet.

First I don;t think we've done anything to improve long term. Second. here's the way I broke it down.

A - Added a few impact talents to the organization

B - Added proven players who can help for a few year

C - Added no impact talent but did add players with some upside/risk

D - Talent level remained the same

F - Talent level declined/

BB that is not my post. I think it is El Gordo's.

Thanks.

I think Roberts is too value to just get draft choices for. 2010 draft choices probably do not help the O's until some where between 2013-2016 if they turn out to be good enough to help the O's at all. It will not help them with a 2011-2012 run for the playoffs. That is why signing or trading Roberts is so important to the O's franchise.

You can't get blood from a turnip. If Hudson can be signed for one year under at $10 mm in this market, why would any one trade more than 2 draft picks for Roberts?

IMO you are confusing the answer to this question with your respect for MacPhail. That is not the issue at all. I respect MacPhail too. I fully expect him to trade or sign Roberts in the next month. However that is not what the question in this thread is asking. The thread asks, if he is done now, grade him. That means the Roberts is not signed or traded and no established pitcher is added.

That is totally different then not respecting McPhail. I say he is not done yet.

I'm not confusing anything, I simply don't place as high a value on signing Roberts or adding another SP as you do. If you read my earlier post in this thread, you'll see I gave him a B because I felt he needed to sign Roberts or trade him and add a SP to rate an A.

You can't get blood from a turnip. If Hudson can be signed for one year under at $10 mm in this market, why would any one trade more than 2 draft picks for Roberts?

Because that is not what Hudson costs. He costs a first rounder draft choice plus his salary. And Hudson is coming off an injury and is more injury prone then Roberts. Roberts is also a much better basestealer.

It appears the Roberts trade market is not great right now which is why I believe that MacPhail is leaning toward signing him. However that could change with one phone to MacPhail by a GM.

I'm not confusing anything, I simply don't place as high a value on signing Roberts or adding another SP as you do. If you read my earlier post in this thread, you'll see I gave him a B because I felt he needed to sign Roberts or trade him and add a SP to rate an A.

So my question to you is why don't you place a higher value on trading or signing Roberts. It is really the only ways for the O's to get value from him in the 2009-2012 time frame which is the time frame the O's are projecting to contend in.

Trading or signing Roberts is more important then anything else done his off season other than signing Nick. And the Roberts situation is not solved.

Because that is not what Hudson costs. He costs a first rounder draft choice plus his salary. And Hudson is coming off an injury and is more injury prone then Roberts. Roberts is also a much better basestealer.

It appears the Roberts trade market is not great right now which is why I believe that MacPhail is leaning toward signing him. However that could change with one phone to MacPhail by a GM.

But your holding it against him that he hasn't traded Roberts. So you expect him to get blood from a turnip and give him bad grades if he doesn't. Same with extending BRob. He offers 3/30, very fair in this market but, Roberts wants more so he hasn't signed ,and you hold that against AM as well ,when you grade him.

So my question to you is why don't you place a higher value on trading or signing Roberts. It is really the only ways for the O's to get value from him in the 2009-2012 time frame which is the time frame the O's are projecting to contend in.

Trading or signing Roberts is more important then anything else done his off season other than signing Nick. And the Roberts situation is not solved.

The best thing AM could do would be to re-animate Babe Ruth. Then he could have both the best LHP in the game and the best DH and rate an A+++. However this is impossible so I don't hold that against AM when I grade him. It would be great if he could extend Roberts or get good value for him in trade, but the market doesn't seem to permit that. So I don't hold that against him either when I grade him. As I feel there is better value in trade for BRob at the deadline, I don't think it is so terrible that he is not signed now for an exorbatent price, or traded for a bag of balls. The fact that neither of those things has happened, is to AM's credit IMO.