bryanman8

Sources tell SI Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

He wasn't with the Yankees when he tested positive. This IS NOT a "victory" for anyone over the Yankees. If this is what people are celebrating, well, i don't know what to tell ya.

Yea, A Rod has been exposed as kind of a jerk, why this is cause for celebration is beyond me. The guy is a terrific ballplayer, roids or not. If it makes people feel better that he tested positive 6 years ago, again, I don't know what to tell ya.

What it tells us is he is a cheating, lying, ballpayer, no different than Clemens or Bonds or even our buddy BRob, and his numbers should all have an asterisk by them now, regardless of who he played for at the time of the failed test.

That said, cheaters NEVER admit anything until their caught. Adulterers don't admit it, thieves don't admit it, murderers don't admit it...anyone expecting ballplayers to admit they cheated without evidence saying so are deluding themselves.

What it tells us is he is a cheating, lying, ballpayer, no different than Clemens or Bonds or even our buddy BRob, and his numbers should all have an asterisk by them now, regardless of who he played for at the time of the failed test.

That said, cheaters NEVER admit anything until their caught. Adulterers don't admit it, thieves don't admit it, murderers don't admit it...anyone expecting ballplayers to admit they cheated without evidence saying so are deluding themselves.

Didn't the 3rd baseman from the Padres (Name escapes me) admit he cheated for his MVP before he passed away?

Exactly what I've been saying for YEARS! Yea, he's no different than any of them, Brian ROberts included. I just wish others would see it the same way instead of celebrating this. This is a BAD thing people, this in no way should be celebrated by anyone.

• Upvote 1

Didn't the 3rd baseman from the Padres (Name escapes me) admit he cheated for his MVP before he passed away?

Ken Caminiti, yes.

I haven't read much of the last 7 pages, but I would just like to say, once again, that I am sick of this steroid stuff.

Why point out a guy like ARod when half of the AA players were juicing and a whole crop of these awful players got suspended? I point to Gary Cates Jr.

ARod is a player that is a face of the sport, people actually want to watch him play and we continue this witchhunt. Steroids weren't even against MLB rules when he did it, so lets just get over it.

This is doing so much damage to the sport. I can't get my nephews to even watch a baseball game, but why should they when everytime they turn on the TV there is reports about the latest cheat?

I know this isn't the best of logic, but I took the LSAT this morning and am just back a bit of early celebration, but this really grinds my gears.

• Upvote 1

I haven't read much of the last 7 pages, but I would just like to say, once again, that I am sick of this steroid stuff.

Why point out a guy like ARod when half of the AA players were juicing and a whole crop of these awful players got suspended? I point to Gary Cates Jr.

ARod is a player that is a face of the sport, people actually want to watch him play and we continue this witchhunt. Steroids weren't even against MLB rules when he did it, so lets just get over it.

This is doing so much damage to the sport. I can't get my nephews to even watch a baseball game, but why should they when everytime they turn on the TV there is reports about the latest cheat?

Exactly! I feel the same way...I just wish this story would just go away and stay away.

Exactly! I feel the same way...I just wish this story would just go away and stay away.

I just feel like everyones out there chasing a story, and if they don't watch out, it could do too much damage.

The soccer balls and basketballs are already too inviting. Its too hard to get kids to play little league as it is.

I'm actually glad this info has come out, and not because I dislike Arod, I don't, but because I want people to stop being in denial about steroids in baseball.

There are still a lot of people who don't think steroids were nearly as widespread as they obviously were, stories like this may change perceptions out there.

Many were also looking for AROD to be the clean HR king, which I thought was dumb because there was a decent chance he wasn't clean. Heck, there's a decent chance the previous HR king wasn't clean.

I hope more names come out, it can only help people realize that most guys during this era used at some point. People also need to understand that players used steroids well before the 90's.

I feel guys like Bonds, Clemens, Big Mac, and Palmeiro should make the Hall regardless of their usage, perhaps if people come to a better understanding of PED'S in baseball, that will happen. I'm quite sure people who haven't been caught are already in and many more will follow. And if you consider "greenies," then a large majority of guys from the 60's until now are guilty.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually glad this info has come out, and not because I dislike Arod, I don't, but because I want people to stop being in denial about steroids in baseball.

There are still a lot of people who don't think steroids were nearly as widespread as they obviously were, stories like this may change perceptions out there.

Many were also looking for AROD to be the clean HR king, which I thought was dumb because there was a decent chance he wasn't clean. Heck, there's a decent chance the previous HR king wasn't clean.

I hope more names come out, it can only help people realize that most guys during this era used at some point. People also need to understand that players used steroids well before the 90's.

I feel guys like Bonds, Clemens, Big Mac, and Palmeiro should make the Hall regardless of their usage, perhaps if people come to a better understanding of PED'S in baseball, that will happen. I'm quite sure people who haven't been caught are already in and many more will follow. And if you consider "greenies," then a large majority of guys from the 60's until now are guilty.

I agree that it is good if it prevents a total white washing of 1990's-2000's stars from the Hall of Fame. It is absurd that Mark McGwire is not in, it is the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Clean.

Craw, your post seems to be so general and elusive as to be achieving some measurable level of something, I think.

I don't think there's such a thing as associative irony. If I was upset and ridiculed Roberts and Palmeiro for using steroids, in what way might I be viewed as ironic, or the situation as ironic, by piling on A Rod? It seems to me that it would be ironic only if the viewer focused on the team one is a fan of, rather than on their view of PED use by MLB players. In that case, you're cherry picking, and that just doesn't appear to me to be applicable. Being a fan of a team doesn't mean you can't ridicule everyone for PED use no matter what team their on.

If anything, the situation isn't rich with irony, but with fans of a losing team taking comfort in knowing that this happened on other teams, which were good at that time. Misery does love company, right? Furthermore, the O's were disproportionately mentioned in the media as Steroid-Users, and I'm sure this lends to some people's joy. I just don't think that's ironic, but rather, other fans getting their come-upance. The irony would have been in other fans taking delight in Orioles busted for steroids and now having to realize that their best player did too. But that doesn't even apply when considering Giambi and Clemens.

It just seemed like you were being snarky to O's fans.

Maybe I'm wrong, but considering how much is unknown about PED use in MLB during that time, I'm not sure anything is easily known: who, how many, what drugs by each individual.

I think you are taking my comments way too personally and taking them way, way, way out of context. Yes, I find it ironic that fans of a team that has been so much part of the known PED trade would be so quick to cast a stone or two. That is a passing comment meant to be no deeper than a passing comment should have. Eh. You know . . . I am an Oriole fan. I run a site focusing on the Orioles and spend a lot of time breaking down the organization . . . so I am not cherry picking to put O's fans in a bad light. I honestly just think it amusing that some are going hard at him.

With regard to what is known about PED use and benefits . . . it is being rather aggressively studied as applications would be useful for elderly patients and others with various wasting diseases. A lot of money is there for the taking if someone figures it out. It seems we have a good handle of steroids and know how to prescribe them although there is great social stigma about them. With HGH . . . nothing they have tried has seemed to work beyond creating poorly functional tissue.

What is that difference? I don't think there is a difference at all between testing positive and using steroids. You have to use them to test positive for them, with the exception being a few over the counter items that can cause a false positive.

Have you seen those percentages somewhere or is that just an educated guess? I do think you are right that there were more casual users than serious ones, but I would guess that the percentage of serious users was a bit higher (especially when it was going unchecked by MLB).

The difference? The difference is that not everyone using steroids will be ID'd by a steroid metabolite assay. Based on false negative rates and known patterns of steroid and other drug use in other professions . . . I fermi'd an answer. You are probably right that the use was higher when it was unchecked. My estimations are just based on a 10% ID rate on the steroid assay.

“I have never used steroids. Period,”

"I want to state clearly and without qualification: I did not take steroids, human growth hormone or any other banned substances at any time in my baseball career or, in fact, my entire life,"
"I've never felt overmatched on the baseball field. I've always been a very strong, dominant position. And I felt that if I did my work as I've done since I was, you know, a rookie back in Seattle, I didn't have a problem competing at any level. So, no,"
"absolutely one hundred percent not guilty, Your Honor."

Ok I get it :)

It's interesting that this comes out the day I start reading the Torre book.

Steroids were around (and perhaps in) baseball for years, but they didn't do any good for players of earlier eras, because--taken by themselves--they don't do anything for you. If you take steroids and don't work out, nothing much good comes of it.

What happened was, steroids took off when coupled with weight training. If I'm reading Torre's book right, a lot of the early "strength coaches" in MLB came out of either football or competitive weightlifting--both rife with steroid use. Also, there are apparently different flavors of steroids: for bulk or for speed. So even if the "big boys" leave the scene for a while, it doesn't mean the game has suddenly cleaned up.

And...if MLBTV is all over this like white on rice, I think we're seeing the first shots fired by management for the next CBA. This may be another step to separate the players from their union. Time will tell...