jcroemer

All the Orioles news that's fit to print

Quick notes from Roch - Ryan Freel is a man on the move, news on injuries to Rich Hill and Jim Miller, and, of course, today's lineup.

Schmuck, over at The Sun, gives us lineups to both games today, fills us in on Koji and the WBC, talks to Chris Ray about his shoulder, and updates us on Nick Markakis, Aubrey Huff, and Blake Davis.

Peter Schmuck got Andy MacPhail to admit the Orioles had internal discussion about signing Pedro Martinez.

Roch offers up some post-game chatter:

"There's a thing about working fast, but I think there's also a particular point in time when you might want to take your foot off the pedal and not go so quickly," Trembley said. "I thought he was rapid-fire. I saw him one time when there was a guy on third, he checked the runner at first, and the runner at first was invisible. There was nobody over there. I just thought maybe he was working too fast."

"I think what's the most important thing for Scott is to be healthy," Trembley said. "Last year, he had a great camp, then got hurt and missed a lot of time. I think he figures in our plans. If it doesn't happen for him at the beginning of the season, that doesn't necessarily mean out of sight, out of mind."

Roch gives us some more post-game Trembley:

On Matt Wieters' ninth-inning RBI single: "The good ones turn it up a notch. That's money when the guy's in scoring position. They live for those moments. He's got an idea what he's doing."

Roch's blog:

Trembley eliminates Parrish and Hennessey from the competition to start for the Orioles:

"I already felt like they missed so much time that there was no way they were going to have the opportunity to break camp with us," Trembley said. "There's no sense of urgency now to get them out there. They're too far behind. We can't get them caught up by Opening Day."

Trembley also offers some comments on Adam Eaton:

Asked about Eaton, Trembley said, "He looks like he's a control guy, sink. Curveball's a big pitch for him. Cuts the fastball. He's anxious to get in a game and face the competition, so I think we'll get a better read on him.

Another entry reports a team spirit amongst the youngsters:

The race is on to see which prospect makes the majors first among last year's starters at Bowie: Hernandez, Brad Bergesen or Chris Tillman. It's a friendly competition that, if they had their choice, would end in a tie.

"We're all pulling for each other," Hernandez said. "It would be awesome to see us all make it and be up there at the same time. It's not like everyone's going out there saying, 'I hope he does bad.' We root for each other. I've known all of them since we signed. We're good friends."

Turns out that Koji Uehara is human. He had a bad outing yesterday, as Zrebiec and Schmuck report.

And here are Roch's notes from the Trembley during post-game yesterday:

On Koji Uehara: "He didn't get some pitches. Probably too many three-ball counts. That was probably it. He got his pitches up. He keeps attacking the hitters. A couple pitches probably could have gone either way for him. The guy still keeps attacking the strike zone and that's what you like."

Roch gives us a lot of great Trembley quotes today, including this one on Hayden Penn:

"First of all, he needs to stay healthy and stay away from all the things that have disrupted his development. Secondly, what I've seen from him is a much more concerted effort to go about his business in a business-like fashion. I think his arm strength is getting back to what it once was. At times, I see his curveball what it was. I've seen him pitch better when I had him, but he resembles that more and more. He needs to throw strikes, command his fastball. We got him out there another couple times, so we'll see what happens.

"He was brought up, and for whatever reason he got sent back, and I think he went through a period of time where he didn't quite understand what was happening," Trembley said. "He saw some other guys go by him. I don't think he understood the business side of the game when he started hearing all the trade rumors. He took it maybe to heart to a fault. I think there have been a lot of people who always liked him. I think he should have taken it as a compliment that there were other organizations that were interested in him. But now he's trying to make it as difficult as he can for those of us who are making decisions. I think he's going to do whatever he can. And I think he's more realistic now. He's really matured a lot."

A funny blog from Riverfront Times that is not at all friendly to Erik Bedard.

USA Today reports that Walker expects to return to form in 2009.

• Upvote 1

Roch sat down and talked with Kranitz about pitching:

On Jake Arrieta: "There's a difference, the way the ball comes out (of his hand). It's exciting to see a guy like that. They don't come around very often, where they come into big league camp and they're not overwhelmed. When he gets on the mound, he's all business. And I liked to see that he gave up the home run and he dialed it up. I like to see that. You grind it out. His stuff is really good. He's cool. Obviously, we're in spring training, but this hasn't affected him, which is good. If you take the approach that you're going to pound the strike zone, whether you're in A ball or the big leagues, that's a pretty good way to go. He knows what kind of stuff he has. Everybody knows what kind of stuff he has. Just pound it down in the zone and see what happens. That's what I see him doing. I'm glad he's here. We made the right decision to bring him to big league camp."

And later on Tillman:

"It was nothing mechanical," Kranitz said. "The only thing was, we need him to hold runners. That was it. You've got to work on the finer points of the game. They've got to understand that when you're this young, it does mean a lot when you're asked to throw over. He's set in his ways a little bit on some things. Nothing that's crazy, but things that have to be done at the big league level. We have to keep reminding him. That's all. He needs to work on the finer points of the game."

Here's a very sad story about John Odom, the minor league player traded for 10 bats, who is now dead from an OD of heroin and methamphetamines, among other substances.

KFFL reports that Dave Trembley is not sweating Guthrie's start in the WBC. Carroll County Times features Ryan Freel. USA Today notes Adam Jones is off to a fine start. Finally, Bleacher Report previews the 2009 team.

Roch details the early roster cuts. Tillman and Arrieta, among others, are headed to minor league camp. Matusz is still in camp. :scratchchinhmm:

Also, Rich Hill's start is pushed back.

RotoTimes runs their daily spring training review and notes that Matt Wieters is tearing up the Grapefruit League. Writing headlines for Wieters is easy: Here's the formula - Matt Wieters is tearing up the __________ League.

USA Today ran a feature on Troy Patton and the slow pace of his progression:

"It's totally cool and it's probably what I need -- to get some starts and get some innings under my belt again until I get that comfort level back on the mound," said Patton, who has made only one spring appearance, allowing two runs on three hits in 2/3 of an inning.

That doesn't mean, however, Patton doesn't sometimes wish he could just erase the memories of more than a year of maddening injuries.

"It's been a little frustrating, sure," he said. "Now, looking back, it's kind of a relief to be here now. I could have pushed my head forward and kept going, but it wouldn't have been the right thing to do. It just wasn't in the cards last year, no matter what would have happened."

MVN's take on the O's chances to sign Pedro Martinez.

The Sun features Matt Wieters and his handling of the hype:

Wieters quickly dismissed the accolades when asked about them.

"It was great to have a good year last year, but that's over," he said. "I set my goals and expectations pretty high, and last year was one of the first years I've come close to reaching them. I have to bump up the goals a little bit higher this year."

Roch asked Dave Trembley if Justin Turner has a real shot of making the Opening Day roster:

"He's a very good fastball hitter, and that's what he's been hitting. It seems like he's been getting two and three hits every day. We said one of the themes was competition and the other was opportunity. He's getting the opportunity and he's taking advantage of it. He really is."

The key is whether Turner can handle shortstop. He's been fine so far, but he hasn't really been tested.

"I'd like to see him in the hole a little bit more," Trembley said. "I'd like to see him make some plays to his right. But he's made the plays right at him and to his left. He'll get more chances to get out there."

Brian Matusz is heading to minor league camp in Sarasota. Roch collected some comments as Matusz packed his bags, including this one:

"Wherever I go, I'm going to make the best of it," he said. "All the coaches and scouts know what's best for me. And I feel like I made a good impression. I came in here and threw strikes, but best of all, I learned from all the guys. I picked their brains and came up with new things."

Peter Gammons opines that the AL East is becoming a pitching division:

Take the aforementioned Baltimore foursome. Garza, Kazmir, Price, Davis, Lester, Buchholz, Bowden, Junichi Tazawa, Cecil, Hughes and Chamberlain are all under 26 years old.

Newsday's coverage of Felix Pie and the Orioles' victory yesterday over the Red Sox. SI gives us the full list of Orioles cuts.

• Upvote 1

I am looking forward to seeing Brian Roberts start at 2B tonight for Team USA in the WBC. The game is on ESPN2 if you have access to cable television. He will be batting second behind Jimmy Rollins.

Nolan Reimold homered to break a 2-2 tie and the Orioles went on to take a 6-2 lead in the ninth. Catch your latest game updates with Roch.

The AP story on Jim Johnson's injury. The reliever appears to be out for at least one week. Rick Kranitz is not concerned.

Finally, Schmuck's take on the recent roster cuts.

Edited by jcroemer

I am looking forward to seeing Brian Roberts start at 2B tonight for Team USA in the WBC. The game is on ESPN2 if you have access to cable television. He will be batting second behind Jimmy Rollins.

Nolan Reimold homered to break a 2-2 tie and the Orioles went on to take a 6-2 lead in the ninth. Catch your latest game updates with Roch.

The AP story on Jason Johnson's injury. The reliever appears to be out for at least one week. Rick Kranitz is not concerned.

Finally, Schmuck's take on the recent roster cuts.

Jim Johnson. :D Jason was a starter for us for awhile in the early 00's wasn't he? No info on whether they are related.

• Upvote 1

Roch has some quotes from Brian Roberts on playing in the WBC:

Kind of your thoughts on joining the team

"It's a great opportunity. It's an honor. I represented our country in 1997 with USA Team in college, so I know what it means to put the jersey on. This is obviously a little bigger stage than it was then, but it's a great opportunity. I'm honored to be here, and hopefully we can go out and win a couple games and move on."

Were you aware you were provisional?

"I had no idea until my agent called at 8:00 o'clock last night. My aunt and uncle were in town and we were just kind of hanging out. I had no idea what was going on."

Have you been following the Classic?

"Yeah, I've definitely followed it quite a bit. It's on in the clubhouse and we've enjoyed watching it. I thought the USA-Canada game was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. It's fun for the players even if you're not on the team."

Did you pay a little closer attention to the game last night once you knew you were on the team?

"Yeah, I followed it on the computer after that. I'm renting a house in Fort Lauderdale and we have no TV. I watched it on the computer and then realized we needed to get ready to get it done the next day."

This time of year, do the players have any issues with the timing of the games?

"Timetables have been explored throughout this thing. I'm certainly not the one to give an answer for that. You know, I think it's worked out fine so far. The players have obviously talked about it, that the timing is always an issue, whether it's now or whether it's in the middle of the season or whether it's the beginning of the year. It's always going to be an issue. It's just going to be different issues at different times."

If you had the opportunity to watch Roberts play last night you were rewarded with a 3-for-3 performance that included two runs. You can catch Cesar Izturis and Melvin Mora play for Venezuela tonight at 8 p.m.