Sign in to follow this  
AVencill

Weiters in Frederick/Bowie in 2008

Explain to me why everyone thinks Weiters should be in Frederick, or even Bowie in 2008 (provided he signs)? Is his bat that amazing that he should be in high-A ball? Why wasn't Adam Loewen automatically placed in Frederick before he signed.

IMO, Weiters (if signed) should be in Delmarva to start the season. If he's doing amazing, promote him after 100 games or so.

Logic is that once he signs he'll be a top 20 prospect in the entire majors....his bat is superior, and he looks to rise very rapidly (think Ryan Zimmerman/Stephen Drew types)

Explain to me why everyone thinks Weiters should be in Frederick, or even Bowie in 2008 (provided he signs)? Is his bat that amazing that he should be in high-A ball? Why wasn't Adam Loewen automatically placed in Frederick before he signed.

IMO, Weiters (if signed) should be in Delmarva to start the season. If he's doing amazing, promote him after 100 games or so.

Loewen didn't start in Frederick because he was 18 when he was drafted. Wieters is 21.

Logic is that once he signs he'll be a top 20 prospect in the entire majors....his bat is superior, and he looks to rise very rapidly (think Ryan Zimmerman/Stephen Drew types)
How about Ryan Braun type? That might make some folks around here happy!

How about Ryan Braun type? That might make some folks around here happy!

Actually Braun struggled quite a bit in the minors...he was drafted the same time as Zimmerman, and got to the majors almost 1 1/2 years after Zimmerman.

IF he signs, he should definitely start at Frederick. He was tabbed as closest to the majors per Baseball America.

I am going to base it on Jordan saying that he thought Wieters could handle AA with very few problems when he was interviewed right after the draft. He mentioned that if he took awhile to sign he might start at Fredrick just to get up to speed.

Actually Braun struggled quite a bit in the minors...he was drafted the same time as Zimmerman, and got to the majors almost 1 1/2 years after Zimmerman.

That's because Zimmerman spent about 20 minutes in the minors.

I guess you could say Bruan had a less than stellar month or two in A+, but it's tough to say someone 'struggled quite a bit' when they had a career .946 OPS in the minors. Zimmerman's was .941.

Well, how about Weiters in Frederick in 2007. He is going to bring home the Carolina League for you. Weiters is a special talent. Don't be afraid of it.:D

That's because Zimmerman spent about 20 minutes in the minors.

As I recall, that was also a contributing factor in getting Zimmerman signed so quickly. He signed quicker and for less in exchange for going almost directly to AA ball (he spent a few games down at Savannah). I doubt a Boras client, Such as Weiters, will make such a trade-off.

Weiters is already too advanced for Frederick. If he starts there it is only to shake off the rust of not having played since his college season ended. If he had signed shortly after the draft he would have likely gone directly to Bowie.

I'll be surprised if he's not in the majors to stay by the end of next season.

Wieters is an advanced college bat with perhaps the best plate discipline of any bat we've drafted in a long, long time.

IMO, he should start at Frederick to get acclimated to pro ball and move up to Bowie when the stats warrant - could be quick.

Looking at who we passed up to take Adam Loewen is so crushing.
Loewen was still a great pick IMO. Sucks that he got hurt this season, but I still think he's gonna look awesome in the #2 spot of our rotation for a long time.

My inside source said the he'll be up next year and that local travel companies are already putting together trips to Cooperstown around 2030.:D