Sign in to follow this  
Rex Thunder

Red Blood Boiling

A majority of the fans who have come to the Camden Yards have supported the opposing team. Angelos said he has noticed the trend, but is not as bothered by as some of his Orioles contemporaries.

"We don't mind that," he said. "The fans who come to support their team bring their children with them. They are not a bunch of rowdies. Many bring their entire family to the ballpark, and I think that's a compliment to the game of baseball. They patronize the merchants and the local business. And soon we'll get the fans back, because we'll make the necessary moves and acquisitions to compete favorably."

- Peter Angelos, September 28, 2005

If there is one thing that Peter Angelos is good at, it's having the ability to blow smoke up our you know what. Everyone once in a while he'll make a comment about doing whatever necessary to make this team a winner, and every year we come out a loser. I wouldn't let him pick my lottery numbers.

Like practically every other owner, PA is a businessman first, and a baseball fan second.Back in the days of Memorial Stadium, one could buy a baseball cap and pennants from every other team in baseball, and other souvenirs from some of the more popular teams.

A baseball fan? I find no evidence of this at all.

It's like calling him a labor union supporter. You will find little evidence of this anymore as well.

I went to Detroit last season in an O's jersey. Fans were very supportive there. They were more interested in finding out what happened to the O's rather than getting on me.

Classy fans there IMHO.

A majority of the fans who have come to the Camden Yards have supported the opposing team. Angelos said he has noticed the trend, but is not as bothered by as some of his Orioles contemporaries.

"We don't mind that," he said. "The fans who come to support their team bring their children with them. They are not a bunch of rowdies. Many bring their entire family to the ballpark, and I think that's a compliment to the game of baseball. They patronize the merchants and the local business. And soon we'll get the fans back, because we'll make the necessary moves and acquisitions to compete favorably."

- Peter Angelos, September 28, 2005

Let's see.

Orioles fans won't come to games.

Yankees and Red Sox fans will come to games.

Because they treat it as more of a vacation, they spend more money on souvenirs, tours, and buy tickets for multiple games.

Any owner under those circumstances would act exactly the same way, whether their name is Angelos or Glass, Pohlad or McLane, Steinbrenner or Henry.

If Orioles fans would buy the tickets, he would be complimenting them the same way.

Problem: more Red Sox fans at OPACY than O's fans.

Solution: put a better product on the field.

Who is more deserving of blame, the people who don't put in the effort to see a terrible organization for a decade, or the people who made that organization terrible for a decade?

Why is everyone straying off-topic?

We are NOT talking about whether or not the team has been bad.

We are NOT talking about whether or not the front office has made good decisions.

We are NOT talking about the owner's feelings about the team, the fans, or opposing fans.

We ARE, however, talking about other teams' fans invading our ballpark.

Any Orioles fan that can look at what we saw and heard today with anything other then pure humiliation is an embarrassment to the team as much as anything the team has done.

That doesn't make what the team has been any less bad. It makes what the fans are becoming that much less.

Baltimore has undoubtedly proven at Cooperstown that they will go to great lengths to support a worthy team. So to rectify this situation you make a worthy team. It's beyond simple. Don't yell at the fans for acting rationally, guide your anger to where it belongs.

Do you believe that other teams' fans taking over Oriole Park is acceptable?

I apologize if this has already been noted, but if it has already been brought up, I still think it is important/disgusting enough to deserve its own thread. Last night, my girlfriend went into the Orioles store on Eutaw street, and they actually sold Red Sox gear at the stadium...

I apologize if this has already been noted, but if it has already been brought up, I still think it is important/disgusting enough to deserve its own thread. Last night, my girlfriend went into the Orioles store on Eutaw street, and they actually sold Red Sox gear at the stadium...

Orioles fans don't go there anymore, so why should they do anything else?

Well I for one know what I am going to do starting ASAP. Sitting there watching that game today I got so angry and wished I was there so I could hep drown the RSN out. I plan on buying tickets to every Yankees and Red Sox game next year, but not only that, I plan on dragging every single Oriole fan I can get my hands on with me. Thats one thing we all can do to TRY and help. After all, we are all Hangout Members here...we wouldnt be here if we werent all diehard fans and, I for one, regardless of HOW WE GOT HERE OR WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THIS...which are childish arguments...I for one want to help take that yard back. This Hangout needs to fill those seats as best we can, and not just on "Hangout Nights"

• Upvote 1

Today was one of the saddest days for me as an Oriole fan. Listening to the the game on ESPN radio in the 9th inning, the announcer said he has never seen an opposing teams fan invade a ballpark like the Red Sox fans had done. They called it Fenway South. Pathetic, thats all I could say.:(

Today was one of the saddest days for me as an Oriole fan. Listening to the the game on ESPN radio in the 9th inning, the announcer said he has never seen an opposing teams fan invade a ballpark like the Red Sox fans had done. They called it Fenway South. Pathetic, thats all I could say.:(

I would concur.

I've never seen anything quite like this weekend.

But here's the kicker, its not just PA that will embrace these visiting teams fans. I think the local hospitality industry does as well.

For instance, I was at Fells Point tonight and there were a lot of these Red Sox fans there too.

All the obvious things to say aside, let's just start beating them when they come to town, and let's do it gracefully like the good natured and well-behaved Oriole fans we are. It's the only revenge and only response that matters. I'm optimisitic the Weiters signing means we are looking to the future with a team that can do just that.

Remember the 2005 Camden sweep of the Yanks? The Tejada grand slam? What it felt like, briefly, to be proud of your team? Bring it back Peter, and the city will come back to Camden.

Well I for one know what I am going to do starting ASAP. Sitting there watching that game today I got so angry and wished I was there so I could hep drown the RSN out. I plan on buying tickets to every Yankees and Red Sox game next year, but not only that, I plan on dragging every single Oriole fan I can get my hands on with me.

You hit the nail on the head. If people don't want the BOS fans taking the place over, the solution is simple: buy tickets for BOS weekends the minute they become available.

After all, we are all Hangout Members here...we wouldnt be here if we werent all diehard fans and, I for one, regardless of HOW WE GOT HERE OR WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THIS...which are childish arguments...I for one want to help take that yard back.

You have a good attitude about this. If you notice, however, other people are saying that it's up to PA to get O's fans in the stands. But you have it right: it's up to O's fans to put themselves in the stands. It's only fair-weather fans who won't do it until somebody else does something for them.

This Hangout needs to fill those seats as best we can, and not just on "Hangout Nights"

According to reports here, even on this weekend's Hangout Night only a few showed up. I don't know if those reports are correct. If they are, there are many people who are complaining about BOS fans and BRob, but who somehow can't quite be bothered to get a ticket...

MacPhail is going to solve this problem.... it isn't going to happen overnight but it will happen.... we just have to suffer through what's left of it...

I think thats telling, and as others have noted the Fox TV announcers did likewise. I actually thought they were trying not to for a long time, but decided they couldn't ignore the obvious story there.

I hope maybe this is rock bottom for the Orioles PR. TWC actualy didn't block the game (!), and so for my first O's game on TV in NC this year I got to see my team being the laughing stock of professional sports. Maybe the most digusting day in my 40-years of being an Orioles fan.

The good news is that this is so unbelievably embarassing, and most importantly on a national stage, that it may finally convince the FO that things have gone too far. From a purely short term $ bottom line, maybe it makes sense to let this happen. But it has now become such a travesty that the loss of prestige and honor outweighs the red carpet being rolled out for visiting fans. Surely Mr. Angelos can see this now.

I'm told top line prostitutes can make quite a bit of money, but at the end of day, is it worth it when you can't look yourself in the mirror? And I don't think that comparison is overdrawn here.

And someone needs to negotiate a new Aramark contract for next year prohibiting sales of visiting merchandise except for the odd hat.

A lot of pro teams arrange their ticket packages to preclude something from this happening to this degree. We have it worse than most, but others deal with it too. It will still happen, and hell, I don't mind having 5,000 Sox or Yanks fans in the crowd. I do mind 30,000.

Yesterday was the single most one-sided visitor attendance (for a well-attended game) that I have EVER seen. On a weekend to boot!

I believe that true fans are showing up. As far as the support of the casual fan or average guy on the street, that is a different story. You have to market the team properly. Get everyone familiar with your players so they are household names. I know many people here think that everybody knows about Markakis, Tejada, Mora and Roberts but they don't. Once the average resident of the Balt./Wash. area is familiar with our guys then they will care. Don't believe me, how many people pick up mulitple magazines at the store so they can follow the lives of celebrities they don't know personally but they feel a bond with. It is exposure baby! Convert these that don't know as well as the non-believers.

So all of us should go to work on Monday and say something like "Did you see Roberts and Markakis come up big Friday night?" The fans and the team need to get the word out! As far as what the office does Monday. How about you start saturating other networks with the MASN player spots that we all love so much. Maybe an American Express commercial.lol