Sign in to follow this  
jjdman

Todays lineup: No Markakis Again

It seems to me that the conflict is between the guys that say we have no chance to do anything this year; play for the future and Perlozzo's position which has to be win now. How could Sam in his first year as manager say we can't win. His job is to win as many ballgame as he can. That means go with who's hot now.

How does playing Conine suggest win now? He's been awful so far and most didn't expect him to be good to begin with.

Come on, guys, let's talk about the real winner in Thursday's game: me.

In fact, I think, based on this outcome, I should be batting second.:002_sbiggrin:

Bottom line, whats a good at bat. 1: Take as many pitches as possible to wear the pitcher down; 2:Put the ball in play so as to advance the runner(s); 3:Walk; 4:Hit safely ;5: Put the ball in play so as to cause the runner(s) to score. Right now who is better equipped to do one of these things consistantly, Conine or Nick?

Funny, not one of the Perlozzo/Conine supporters can give us one good reason why Conine/Millar should be getting 20 straight at bats without Nick getting one. Not one.

Because they've both been hitting the ball well the past couple of days and deserve it?

Like we've been saying. It's TWO days. I don't think he was brought up here with the intention of playing every single day. If you disagree with that, fine, but that's Perlozzo's choice and not ours. And as shackelford pointed out, he'd played in 7 straight games prior to that. Nick's getting his playing time. At the end of the year he'll probably have 400-450 AB's, barring an injury or an incredible hot streak that forces Perlozzo into playing him daily. When the season is all wrapped up and finished, is not playing in 40 or so games really going to make THAT big a difference in Nick's development?

No, but I wouldn't have any problem if he doesn't start 1/5 to 1/4 of the games this year. If he starts 120-130 games, I have no issue. 110 would be too low IF he isn't overwhelmed. Of course, if he is overwhelmed, he should be sent down to play every day.

Look, as I wrote before, I would have sat him one of those two games (because he had played 7 straight and I have to distribute time a bit) and played him the other. I just don't think him not playing is as big a sin as most of us do so long as Markakakis plays in 7 of the next 8 or so. As some of us suspected, Perlozzo just didn't want to change a winner yesterday. Did his confidence in that line up help them produce again? Who knows, but it is awfully hard to argue with the results.

I truly believe that either Conine or Millar will be playing 3ish games per week by May 15th. I think Perlozzo is just trying to figure out who his horses are long term. Smart if you ask me.

He will sit versus RJ. The BJ's have guys like Lilly and Chcin in their rotation, so there is a chance he sits against them as well.

400-450 ab's is not not enough.

At this pace, he may get in 130 games but 20-30 of them will just be as a defensive replacement late in the game.

Him starting 110 games is a joke.

Plain and simple.

Playing inferior, old players over him is a joke.

Not sure why people don't see this.

He will sit versus RJ. The BJ's have guys like Lilly and Chcin in their rotation, so there is a chance he sits against them as well.

400-450 ab's is not not enough.

At this pace, he may get in 130 games but 20-30 of them will just be as a defensive replacement late in the game.

Plain and simple.

I find it ironic that I am playing Devil's advocate on Perlozzo's behalf, since what I'd really prefer to see is Markakis playing almost every day. But here it goes.

Perlozzo want all of his players engaged. He doesn't want Newhan 2005 situations where guys get too rusty and can't perfom at their peak when the finally are called upon. He doesn't want guys like Conine and Patterson sitting on the bench day after day. So he has to cut at bats somewhere else.

Is it going to be Gibbons? We're paying him $5.1 mm a year and he's on fire.

So its going ot be Markakis.

It is a very long season. The team is playing well, and everyone is involved. I see no reason to complain. Now if it's July, the O's are 15 games out of first and Conine is hitting .215 and Patterson has a sub-.300 OBP, then I think you have more of a reason to complain.

Plain and simple.

So you do refute that Markakis will learn more in 110 games in the majors than in 140 games in the minors? I'm not so sure I agree with that.

As for "inferior" players, in the big picture they might be inferior. At the present time, Markakis is NOT hitting. I'm sure he'll adjust and improve, but Perlozzo does want to win games. If he feels Conine or Millar can help him do that more than Markakis, that's his call.

Seriously, people are overreacting. It's not like this is August and Markakis has been getting benched three times a week all season. This, to me, confirms that some O's fans just want to find something to ***** about. I'm not trying to say I don't respect your opinion, but give it some time. We're in the third week of the season and the guy has been benched two days in a row for what I believe is the first time so far this season.

And you can say "he'll probably be benched against RJ" all you want, doesn't mean it's true. That's Perlozzo's decision and he's already made some strange ones thus far anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup. Besides, Nick has to face the Randy Johnson's of the world someday. What's it gonna do for his confidence if we bench him every time a good pitcher takes the mound?

So you do refute that Markakis will learn more in 110 games in the majors than in 140 games in the minors? I'm not so sure I agree with that.

As for "inferior" players, in the big picture they might be inferior. At the present time, Markakis is NOT hitting. I'm sure he'll adjust and improve, but Perlozzo does want to win games. If he feels Conine or Millar can help him do that more than Markakis, that's his call.

Seriously, people are overreacting. It's not like this is August and Markakis has been getting benched three times a week all season. This, to me, confirms that some O's fans just want to find something to ***** about. I'm not trying to say I don't respect your opinion, but give it some time. We're in the third week of the season and the guy has been benched two days in a row for what I believe is the first time so far this season.

And you can say "he'll probably be benched against RJ" all you want, doesn't mean it's true. That's Perlozzo's decision and he's already made some strange ones thus far anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup. Besides, Nick has to face the Randy Johnson's of the world someday. What's it gonna do for his confidence if we bench him every time a good pitcher takes the mound?

When Markakis made the team, Perlozzo said he did not come here to sit the bench unless it was against a tough lefty like RJ. He sits. Perlozzo has already said so.

Play Conine at first in place of Millar if you feel 4 lucky singles in 2 games is really producing. That's fine. But Conine in left field is poor in and of itself because of his poor range and average to below average arm.

When Markakis made the team, Perlozzo said he did not come here to sit the bench unless it was against a tough lefty like RJ. He sits. Perlozzo has already said so.

Play Conine at first in place of Millar if you feel 4 lucky singles in 2 games is really producing. That's fine. But Conine in left field is poor in and of itself because of his poor range and average to below average arm.

And yet, despite that "poor range and average to below average arm," Conine and Miggy combined to cut down a run at home plate yesterday.

Must've been more luck, like those "4 lucky singles in 2 games."

And yet, despite that "poor range and average to below average arm," Conine and Miggy combined to cut down a run at home plate yesterday.

Must've been more luck, like those "4 lucky singles in 2 games."

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Its not just the back to back games. The Orioles have played in 17 games this year and Markakis did not start in 6 of them...One of them he got alot of ab's because of Newhan's injury.

So, that is a pace for him to sit 50-60 games this year(at least not start that many games...May see time on defense late in the game..whoppee!)

For him to sit that many games is a joke.

Now, maybe Perlozzo will correct this as he goes along or maybe he won't.

But we do know that Perlozzo likes the vets and has said Conine will get his ab's. So, i tend to think that Markakis will sit more than some of you think he will and that is an absolute joke.

Perlozzo was rewarding the lineup that scored 18 runs and came back from 4 behind to beat the Indians. Markakis started 7 in a row...Nothing horrible with him sitting back to back days unless it becomes the norm, which I seriously doubt it will.

Also, whether you like it or not, Conine will get some playing time, especially with Newhan and Matos out. He had a good game Wednesday and perhaps Perlozzo is letting him try to get his bat hot?

Or perhaps Perlozzo spent too much time watching Hargrove and thinks he should play veterans hitting under .200 instead of a promising young player who has a better chance to help you in the futrue AND right now

Markakis and Patterson are both young and represent potential. They should have priority over Millar and Conine who are no more than role players and filler. The fact that they are veterans and have larger contracts is unimportant. Their job s/b to share first base and maybe replace one of the two younger players when a tough lefty is one the mound.

Patterson's been bad most of the spring, but he nevertheless deserves a chance to see if he can capitalize on his talents in a new setting.NOTABLY, Pattreson has cut back on the strikeouts, only 4 of 24 which is well below his career average.His problem seems mostly hitting tons of grounders to the right side which mite mean he's rolling over on outside pitches instead of taking them to left.Even that represents improvement over all those strikeouts.

I'd keep him in the lineup semi-regularly on a platoon basis where he has the best chance of suceeding.Let him try left-handers later in the season if he's hitting well. Conine and Millar are FILL-INS THOUGH. Nothing more.

Okay, then I guess he sits Sunday or whenever he pitches. He could still play tonight and tomorrow. That'd make five games a week.

I don't think Perlozzo intended for Markakis to be an everyday player. He said he'd be seeing plenty of playing time (and thus far, he has) but, and correct me if I'm wrong, he never said he'd be an everyday player. The kid's been struggling lately anyway. Do you want Sam to keep playing him again and again and going 0-4 and watch his average dip below .200? That's not gonna do much for his confidence either.

I don't like Conine in left all that much myself. I don't think he's much worse than Markakis, though. Nick's got a great arm, but otherwise I don't see him as a great defender. And Conine did throw out that runner last night.

Anyway, this is all pretty irrelevant because it IS so early in the season. What if Nick plays every game next week (save for the RJ game) and the week after that? These two games where he sat wont mean a thing. I'm not saying I agree with Markakis sitting out frequently. I'm just saying that it's too early to get so worked up over it.

How is Millar only a fill in?

Having said that, I think that Patterson and Markakis should be in there everyday now, with Conine and Millar splitting time, and both of them in the lineup when Lopez catches.

I meant to say he SHOULD only be a fill-in along w/Conine. I agree w/your third paragraph. That's pretty much how I'd do it. I'd probably platoon Patterson for now.

I love how everyone who agrees with Perlozzo keeps saying that they do think Markakis should play everyday.

Yet, you don't mind that he has sat 30% of the games this year.

So, which is it?