Frobby

After Two Weeks of Pie...

I think Pie's difficulties fielding are related to his natural orientation. Every ball he goes to, he wants to go to his left, which is his orientation. It makes it awkward fielding, of course, because the glove is on his right hand. Maybe not a big deal, but he orients everything he does in the field to his left hand even when he needs his right. Sorry if this was self evident.

• Upvote 1

Something I noticed while at fangraphs, the sample size is fairly small so far keep in mind.

Seems as though pitchers aren't giving him much to hit (only 37% of pitches in the strikezone compared to 49% for Nick or 47% for Andre Ethier). He's swinging at 28.8% of non-strikes, which is somewhat high but lower than his 2008 with the Cubs. It's also comparable to Adam Jones at 26.9%.

So far this year his BABIP seems to indicate he's been somewhat unlucky (0.182) compared with Nick's .366 and Jone's obscene .483. Something to provide some reason for hope is Pie seems to be hitting the ball harder than he has in prior MLB stints. His Line Drive% is 22.7 up from his prev high in 2007 of 19.8%. He's also hitting fewer ground balls, 31.8%, much lower than previous years around 48%. His GB/FB ratio currently stands at 0.7 'better' than Nick at 0.88 and Jones at 1.08. He's hit a lot of infield fly balls, but he seems to be making good contact.

Felix - http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3751&position=OF

Nick - http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5930&position=OF

Adam - http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6368&position=OF

A lot of this is too early to make any real guess, 34ab is not a sufficient sample size.

We already know that this thread is pretty nuts.

If Pie turns out to be somebody, then in retrospect this thread will be famously hilarious.

I don't know what's gonna happen, but I can't wait to see.

Too bad we can't find out without folks going nuts in advance.

It's been said a million times on here... if we send Pie down we lose Pie. Period.

That's just not smart management.

It's been said a million times on here... if we send Pie down we lose Pie. Period.

That's just not smart management.

Before I get blasted, I am not YET in favor of sending Pie down. That said, if he continues to struggle the way he is, I really don't think anyone would take a flyer on him. And if they did... :noidea:

We already know that this thread is pretty nuts.

If Pie turns out to be somebody, then in retrospect this thread will be famously hilarious.

I don't know what's gonna happen, but I can't wait to see.

Too bad we can't find out without folks going nuts in advance.

A few of us have taken some strong stands in regards to Pie, either positively or negatively. One thing is for sure...at some time in the future, many of us are gonna have Pie in our face! :laughlol:

Getter Dunn!

Why? Pie has only been playing three weeks. You can't give him more time than that? Yes it ahs been three weeks. Pie stinks. Andy M. is an idiot for making the trade. Etc etc.

Why? Pie has only been playing three weeks. You can't give him more time than that? Yes it ahs been three weeks. Pie stinks. Andy M. is an idiot for making the trade. Etc etc.

Are you taking both sides of the argument here? You are either schizo or funny.

Are you taking both sides of the argument here? You are either schizo or funny.

It is too early. No, I was trying to be sarcastic. I don't see why the mods can't jsut merge all the Pie posts into one. It is jsut so frustrating for me. I want Pie to be successful. And I beleive it may take the season to prove one way or the other.

A few of us have taken some strong stands in regards to Pie, either positively or negatively. One thing is for sure...at some time in the future, many of us are gonna have Pie in our face! :laughlol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It is too early. No, I was trying to be sarcastic. I don't see why the mods can't jsut merge all the Pie posts into one. It is jsut so frustrating for me. I want Pie to be successful. And I beleive it may take the season to prove one way or the other.

I'm with you, Tex. Pie can be like the

in the middle of the road, stinkin' to high heaven! Same with Jones (still), same with Bergesen, same with Hill (eventually), same with ANY pitcher who gets called up, same with Montanez, or God forbid Reimold.... we have a whole lot of unproven talent in the organization. It's time to give them ALL a REAL chance. This year and next. PATIENCE young grasshoppers... patience. ;)