Sign in to follow this  
notfast

Is Tom Davis clueless?

Well, I can confidently say that thanks to the well-presented and thought-out arguments by Oldfan in this thread, I have completely changed my position on Tom Davis.

Now, I will no longer be able to take him seriously, and I refuse to watch MASN Saturday mornings or listen to 105.7 anytime he is on the air.

If Tom Davis is of the same mind as this guy, he doesn't deserve my ear.

So you didn't like them at all while they were going wire-to-wire because you knew that they were going to "choke" in the playoffs?

or

You retroactively decided to not like anything that team accomplished in the regular season after they choked in the playoffs?

;)

PS - as great at the 97 team was they were no where near as fun to root for as the 89 O's, IMO (and that team choked in the regular season).

I bolded the correct answer. Armando Benitez drove me nuts on that team.

Actually, I didn't even like the 97 team because they choked in the playoffs. I have not truly liked an Orioles team (as in really enjoyed them) since the 80's.

Choked in 97?

Cleveland gave them fits during the regular season just as much as in the playoffs. Don't see how thats choking.

Well, I can confidently say that thanks to the well-presented and thought-out arguments by Oldfan in this thread, I have completely changed my position on Tom Davis.

Now, I will no longer be able to take him seriously, and I refuse to watch MASN Saturday mornings or listen to 105.7 anytime he is on the air.

If Tom Davis is of the same mind as this guy, he doesn't deserve my ear.

Who are you kidding? For my money, Howdy Doody's ear would n't deserve you!:laughlol: You must weigh your ego in tons not pounds!:eek:

Congrats to Tom. Very nice man. I used to help out with the Brooks Robinson HS All-Star game and my son was around 7-8 and he was the bat boy. Tom Davis was doing the PA announcing but he would do it from the home dugout. He was very nice to my son and my son will usually say something about that when he sees him on the TV. The recently retired Keith Mills also filled in and one year the game fell on Father’s Day and he got my son to ask me if we could eat at hooters after the game. Both are good men. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't listen to him closely enough to judge how baseball smart he is, but I know he's a likable personality. You grow attached to guys like this over many years. I'm happy he's been around.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So FastForward from 2009 to today. 10 years later, the man still has a job covering the team.

Wow, if this is clueless then count me in.

Nobody covers the Weis grocery store circulars like Tom Davis. 
Nobody.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Nobody covers the Weis grocery store circulars like Tom Davis. 
Nobody.

Dave Johnson is right there with him though!

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

So FastForward from 2009 to today. 10 years later, the man still has a job covering the team.

Wow, if this is clueless then count me in.

Well, to be fair, the remarks by Davis that were paraphrased in the OP were pretty clueless.    And it’s certainly the case that Davis pays more attention to O’s minor leaguers today than he apparently did in 2009.    There’s a segment on the minors every night on the postgame show, it’s frequently discussed on Wall to Wall Baseball (which he hosts), and I believe it’s often covered on the Mid-Atlantic sports report (though I never see that show).   So, he has adjusted.

Davis is like your jolly uncle who hasn’t really gotten into analytics, but he does know what’s going on with the team and is knowledgeable about the team’s glory days.    You know his analysis only goes so far, but you don’t really care because he’s a good guy and cares about the team.   

• Upvote 2

Tom Davis peaked in the 1980s when he'd do the out of town scores from the stands at Memorial Stadium and fans would make food and bring it to the stadium just for him.  And he'd eat whatever it was it right there while he was supposed to be reading the scores.  It was like something out of small town radio from a long time ago.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, to be fair, the remarks by Davis that were paraphrased in the OP were pretty clueless.    And it’s certainly the case that Davis pays more attention to O’s minor leaguers today than he apparently did in 2009.    There’s a segment on the minors every night on the postgame show, it’s frequently discussed on Wall to Wall Baseball (which he hosts), and I believe it’s often covered on the Mid-Atlantic sports report (though I never see that show).   So, he has adjusted.

Davis is like your jolly uncle who hasn’t really gotten into analytics, but he does know what’s going on with the team and is knowledgeable about the team’s glory days.    You know his analysis only goes so far, but you don’t really care because he’s a good guy and cares about the team.   

A very fair and accurate assessment.  He is definitely part of the Orioles.  

It's funny, I do remember this thread from all those years ago.  Davis has advanced a little bit with the times.  He might not be able to trade blows with Brian Kenny on MLBN in regards to analytics but I think he's open minded enough to respect them and have a base knowledge of what it's all about.