ChaosLex

Do you feel Dave Trembley is still the right man for this team?

I said it before ...So I'll say it again.... I believe Mcphail will want to bring in his own guy.

He had a chance to do that after 2007. He didn't. I don't believe he will any time soon unless the team implodes drastically in the clubhouse or DT starts to get crazy with his in-game management.

I can't believe any of you are ok with him coming back next year.

What does he bring to the table?

Terrible bullpen management and in-game decisions.

A team lacking base running skills and fundamentals.

An unwillingness to make changes over the course of the season. For example - our current closer situation, the consistent backing of Eaton despite his awful performances, etc.

I have felt Trembley is an awful manager since around August last year. He simply costs us numerous games by himself. It's absurd when you think about how many games he has blown due to poor bullpen management.

I've noticed that some people are beginning to question Dave Trembley's role as manager for our current squad. Most notably, his use of the bullpen, the team's trouble with "baseball fundamentals," etc.

Two questions.

1. Do you feel as though Trembley is right to be criticized? Or is this just a bunch of hot air by some posters?

2. If you could venture a guess, do you think Trembley will still be the manager at the beginning of the 2010 season?

Thanks in advance! :)

Man- the lineup this guy is forced to work with every day- and have to put up with the criticism- heck yeah he deserves to be here beyond this year.

Hell- Joe Girardi- the guy the O's FO went googoo gaga over- can't win with a loaded lineup AND starting staff!

The Orioles top 4 can hang with anyone. But injuries and the idea of "developing" prospects in a "rebuilding" year has made parts of lineup nothing but a hole at this point. I'm all for patience with the development- but the problem lies when people start getting greedy- and wanting the best of both worlds.

Yes we'd all love to win- but let's not kid ourselves. Every team wants to win- and we have been behind the 8 ball for years. We are starting to get in front of it- but aren't there yet. We show flashes of what we could be- but the problem is that when those flashes turn into expectations for the entire year. The pressure seems to be too much for a team that relies so much on a core of players to do all the heavy lifting. Players press and bad things snowball.

I brought up the yankees. Their top 5 pitchers could go out a pitch a shut ouit on any given night and it would surprise NOONE. The bottom 4 of their lineup consists of the likes of Melky Cabrera (a 300 hitter), Robinson Cano (anotjer 300 hitter w/ power), Bengie Molina and or Jorge Posada (power and average)...

Point is- there are suffering much the same fate as we are lately- and I think a lot of it has to do with CONTINUITY and team chemistry. They have new parts every year- much like we have recently. They have us beaten on paper by a mile and yet Joe Girardi cant get them to perform to that level right now.

Trembley, with half a deck- is doing the dirty work- and this team is competing and pretty much in every game. I think he is a damn good coach and I would love to see him given a chance with this team once we are playing with a full deck.

Was it Trembely's fault that we forgot how to hit with runners in scoring position of late? Was it his fault that we went 0 for 6 in the first 2 innings today after having a runner on 3rd and 0 outs each inning?

Just saying, if we come through with more clutch hits early in todays game its a totally different ball game.

An unwillingness to make changes over the course of the season. For example - our current closer situation, the consistent backing of Eaton despite his awful performances, etc.

I have felt Trembley is an awful manager since around August last year. He simply costs us numerous games by himself. It's absurd when you think about how many games he has blown due to poor bullpen management.

What in the blue hell are you talking about?

Yeah, his bullpen management could be better, then again, he could also use some better pitchers in his bullpen, I bet if he had Okajima to Papelbon or Joba to Rivera it would look better than Johnson to Ray or Sherrill...the team's running isn't as bad as it looks, yeah, they make outs on the bases, but so does every other team in baseball, it's just that you notice them more because you watch more of the games...as for Adam Eaton, he's on the team, he's in the rotation, you don't want to undermine his confidence or anything like that, especially not three weeks into the season, and I'm willing to bet that he gets pushed to the #5 slot in the rotation immediately upon Hill being back on the roster and is the first to go whenever one of the young guns is ready to go.

Dave Trembley has done nothing to warrant a change.

He holds players accountable, as much as any manager in the game does. He has their ear, he has them buying into the system. We are not hearing chirping like we did under Mazilli or Perlozzo. He has worked with many of the guys we will be bringing up already and understands the young ball-player mentality.

say what you will about the pen, but I don't think it is Trembley's use that has led to problems. I think it has more to do with him being FORCED to go to the pen more than he would like to. Hell, more than any manager would like to.

I really don't think we can honestly point to any one game and say, on the whole, this loss is TREMBLEY'S fault and his fault alone.

• Upvote 1

Dude- get over it.

The season isn't even thru April yet and you are making assertions about his ability to make "season long" changes??

If this guy were coaching a team expected to contend this year- then MAYBE you can get away with statements like that- but he is coaching this team the way it needs to be right now. I'm sure his patience is being tested JUST AS MUCH as us fans are this year.

No manager will EVER please everyone with each and every bullpen decision and player move they make- but give me a break.

Baseball is a business and this team is trying to rebuild right now. What do you want your manager to do? Blast Eaton and destroy his confidence- knowing that MacPhail isn't going to spend to bring anyone else in? The prospects ARE NOT going to be rushed- so he is playing his hand the best way he possibly can.

My main criticism of him is his refusal to deviate from his pre-defined "roles".

But see, let me throw this out there. What if it works. I mean, what if more often then not it works?

I mean that is what it all comes down to right? If Joe Madden had continued to fail in TB he would have been fired and his style of managing would be considered wrong.

If the pen stabilizes then is DT a genius for giving his guys "roles"? Of course he is not because the manager doesn't get any credit for successes that is ALL the players.

Now, I am not disagreeing with you. I am only saying, what if by July our pen is doing alright and everyone is performing well in the roles that DT has given them?

Dave Trembley has done nothing to warrant a change.

He holds players accountable, as much as any manager in the game does. He has their ear, he has them buying into the system. We are not hearing chirping like we did under Mazilli or Perlozzo. He has worked with many of the guys we will be bringing up already and understands the young ball-player mentality.

say what you will about the pen, but I don't think it is Trembley's use that has led to problems. I think it has more to do with him being FORCED to go to the pen more than he would like to. Hell, more than any manager would like to.

I really don't think we can honestly point to any one game and say, on the whole, this loss is TREMBLEY'S fault and his fault alone.

See, I think you are looking at it wrong. In my opinion, I don't think we need to see anything to warrant a change. I think we should be looking for something to warrant keeping him. And I have seen nothing in that respect.

1. Do you feel as though Trembley is right to be criticized? Or is this just a bunch of hot air by some posters?

Everyone can be criticized. Earl didn't do everything right. Casey and McCarthy and Selee and Hanlon didn't do everything right. Dave Trembley doesn't either.

But I don't see anything he's doing as being so ridiculous that we should be discussing his job. The players are happy, he handles the media, he doesn't bat Zaun leadoff or sac bunt six times a game. That's 80% of the job right there.

If you could venture a guess, do you think Trembley will still be the manager at the beginning of the 2010 season?

Sure. Unless there's some kind of unexpected clubhouse revolt I can't see him being fired for the shortcomings of his roster. Everyone, including his boss, expected this to be a 70-ish win team this year. No surprises so far this year.