Sign in to follow this  
MDsportsfan15

Reimold

what a great night he is having again at Bowie. He is 1-1 with a homerun and 3 walks. That is the kind of plate discipline we should be looking for. Also he is definitly showing some major power. Hopefully we can see him up here in Sept.

Yea, definitely. I think this is MUCH more impressive then the game he had two home runs in.

Or all the multi-hit games he's put up.

he's been killing the ball and they are pitching around him...and he knows it.

This doesn't tell me "Reimold has a great eye for the strike zone"

It means he's not being tested anymore. Maybe Norfolk? I don't know, but having teams pitch around him won't help him when it comes to getting to swing against live pitching.

As long as the Baysox remain in the playoff race, Reimold's not going anywhere.

That's just fine. At this point he just needs consistent at bats. He's going to the AFL right? Either way he can deal with AAA next year.

That's just fine. At this point he just needs consistent at bats. He's going to the AFL right? Either way he can deal with AAA next year.

I gotta be honest I doubt young MR. Reimold ever sees a Tides jersey. As Frobby pointed out in the tracker in the same # of AB as Markakis Reimold clearly has the better numbers and certainly better power numbers. If he continues doing this for the rest of the year at Bowie and has a very solid AFL then he has a very good shot at being in LF for the O's next year.

I gotta be honest I doubt young MR. Reimold ever sees a Tides jersey. As Frobby pointed out in the tracker in the same # of AB as Markakis Reimold clearly has the better numbers and certainly better power numbers. If he continues doing this for the rest of the year at Bowie and has a very solid AFL then he has a very good shot at being in LF for the O's next year.

I can't stress this enough - Markakis had slightly worse numbers than Reimold in AA, but was two years younger. Two years of development are a massive difference. Imagine Markakis in Bowie right now. If he wasn't hitting like a better version of Barry Bonds you'd be stunned. Reimold is acutally a month older than Markakis, and Nick has over 1000 quality major league plate appearances.

Based on their ages, performances, and relative experiences I'd expect Nick to have a major league career at least 50% longer, with other numbers along the same lines.

All the more reason to get him up here for a September look...

Agreed Reimold doesnt need to be wasting away for a year in Norfolk if he put up a 1.000 OPS in Bowie. He needs to get his shot. Had he not had the injury bug perhaps he would be here with Nick already. I am not saying he is a better player then Nick (we can only hope) but he is certainly a very legit answer to a very big whole on this team.

I can't stress this enough - Markakis had slightly worse numbers than Reimold in AA, but was two years younger. Two years of development are a massive difference. Imagine Markakis in Bowie right now. If he wasn't hitting like a better version of Barry Bonds you'd be stunned. Reimold is acutally a month older than Markakis, and Nick has over 1000 quality major league plate appearances.

Based on their ages, performances, and relative experiences I'd expect Nick to have a major league career at least 50% longer, with other numbers along the same lines.

I realize this, and I hope I didn't mislead anyone with my earlier posts comparing the stats of Reimold and Markakis. The point I was making was not about whether they would have comparable major league careers. Rather, I was suggesting that Reimold may be about as ready to make the jump to the majors now as Markakis was in 2005, in terms of overall minor league experience and performance.

In the majors, I expect Reimold to strike out more and hit for more power and a lower average than Markakis. In his first 1000 AB he might hit only .250-.270, but put up 50-60 HR's. Eventually I could see him as a .280 guy who walks a lot and hits 30+ homers -- something this team desperately needs.

This is a good point, but there are other factors. Nick was put in the majors before he was ready and one would be hard pressed to consider those first 200 at-bats of the quality variety. If Nick had been in AA for a half season last year like 28 other franchises would have done with him, that at-bat difference would be 300 or so less. Couple that with Reimold's lost time to injury, and the experience difference, IMO, is a good bit less than you are implying - perhaps by 40% or so. Plus, Reimold's superior numbers have to count for something - no? If Reimold were healthy and hitting like he is now, he would have been on the major league team at least a month ago, IMO.

This is a good point, but there are other factors. Nick was put in the majors before he was ready and one would be hard pressed to consider those first 200 at-bats of the quality variety. If Nick had been in AA for a half season last year like 28 other franchises would have done with him, that at-bat difference would be 300 or so less. Couple that with Reimold's lost time to injury, and the experience difference, IMO, is a good bit less than you are implying - perhaps by 40% or so. Plus, Reimold's superior numbers have to count for something - no? If Reimold were healthy and hitting like he is now, he would have been on the major league team at least a month ago, IMO.

Really no room for him this year. You know how they are about pushing vets to the bench. However had he stayed healthy he would certainly be a Sept call-up. I really see him making the team out of spring training which will be a huge lift.

I think I'd like him to get more time down there. I want the pitchers tro figure him out, forcing him to make adjustments. I don't think they've seen enough of him to do that yet. That said, I'd still like him to come up when the season's over down there and get a feel for what he has to improve on.

I think if Reimold hadn't had injury issues he'd be about a year behind Nick relative to his age. Last year he started off very hot at Frederick, then had plantar fascitis and back problems that really messed him up. But for those problems, I think his 2006 would have looked similar to Nick's 2005 -- 3-4 very good months at Frederick and then 6 good weeks at Bowie, followed by the AFL. Instead he had the equivalent of 3-4 erratic, injury-disrupted months at Frederick, followed by the AFL (where he was solid but not as impressive as Nick had been in 2006). Let's not forget that Nick was very good in the AFL and extremely impressive in 2006 spring training. He wasn't rushed in my opinion, he earned that leap to the majors.

I do think that if Reimold had been 100% the last 2 years, he's be in the majors by now, though maybe not by this April.

Really no room for him this year. You know how they are about pushing vets to the bench. However had he stayed healthy he would certainly be a Sept call-up. I really see him making the team out of spring training which will be a huge lift.

You will have to show me how many real prospects put up 1000 OPS at AA and are left in the minors for four months.

Really no room for him this year. You know how they are about pushing vets to the bench.

The only "they" who matter are MacPhail and Trembley. I don't think they have the same attitude as the prior GMs/managers.