ChaosLex

Where's the strangest place you've ever run into an O's player?

When I was younger, Rick Dempsey was my favorite Oriole player and is the reason I got into catching. Maybe as well, my Dad looked very similar to Rick when my Dad was younger. The only difference (and a slight one at that :D) is that my Dad is 5'3" and Rick is more around 6'. Needless to say, we're at a local restaurant/bar when I'm probably around 10 and this big, fat woman that looked like she could have been in Hairspray sees my Dad across the room and just starts shouting, "Riiiiiiiiiiick! Riiiiiiiiiiiick Dempsey!" and is running full speed toward my Dad. She starts smothering him with hugs and suffocating him with her 40 DD's. It took my Dad a good 10 minutes to convince her he wasn't Rick.

I ran into Dempsey at the lighting of the Washington Monument in December where he was going to be the celebrity lighting the monument. I told him the story and that he owed my Dad a big one for taking the hit for him. :D Rick took it in great humor and said he owes my Dad a beer at least. Great guy.

I've seen BRob in Locust Point when at the Wine Market for dinner. There's a gym there that he works out at. Nice guy.

My wife and I flew on the same plane as Mike McCrary on our way to Miami about 2 years ago. Also a nice guy.

Todd Cruz used to come to some of my brother's little league games.

The day the Orioles traded away Phil Bradley, myself and a few friends were looking to get onto Rocky Point. We ended up getting Bradley's tee time as he was on his way to whatever team traded for him.

Jonathan Ogden on the second floor of the Bay Cafe when it was full one night. There's this level of people's heads and then this one that stuck about 1 1/2 feet above the rest of the crowd.

There are others I'll have to remember.

I met BJ Surhoff at Hayfields Country Club in Hunt Valley about 10 years ago or so. After he was traded to the Braves and then came back.

Not a good meeting though.

I walked up to him at the clubhouse and kindly and very respectfully (for a kid too!) said how much I respected him and that he was one of my favorite players of all time and how sad I was when he left, and happy I was when he got back, etc. etc.

And then I reached out to shake his hand before leaving to finish playing with my dad.

And he said he didn't want to shake my hand. He'd "rather not". Something about his hands being dirty from golfing.

A small and valuable lesson in disappointment.

Edited by nyco

When I worked at the once-great Crown station on York Road in Towson, I got to see lots of the Robinsons -- Brooks, Connie, Brooks David and Chris. The latter two worked with me there, and Brooksie used to come by with their dinner on occasion. He was also technically a Crown VP, so we had to walk on eggshells around him lest the franchisee lose the franchise, but he was a real sweeatheart.

I met him numerous times, as I did Unitas and the immortal Eddie Murray, but my most memorable encounter with an Oriole player came at that very same Crown station in 1982. It was a weekend morning, absolutely beautiful day, and a baby blue Porsche Targa or 911 comes roaring in at around 10 in the morning. I go out to serve the guy, but he's already out of the car asking if I mind letting him pump the gas. He hands me a paper towel and asks if I'll hold it inder the filler spout to protect the paint job.

Really, I want to be annoyed, but the guy is as friendly as a human being can be, laughing and joking. Also, I'm looking with SERIOUS admiration at the long, golden legs of the blonde in the passenger seat.

So we fill the tank for all of $14 or something like that, I wipe one or two drops of gas off the baby blue paint and return the nozzle to the pump and the guy gives me a Crown credit card wrapped inside a 10-dollar bill (one of maybe two tips I received in a year as a pump jockey). I run the thing through the machine and bring the carbon out for him to sign, and when I get back to what we called the hut -- the glassed-in cabin in the middle of the forecourt -- Chris Robinson asks me if I enjoyed my bit of stargazing.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Check out the carbon, dude."

I look down and see the name for the first time: Steve Stone, en route to a Cy Young award but taking a day off to entertain an amazing blonde in his baby blue Porsche.

"Damn, Chris, whyn't you tell me?"

"Sh*&, let the guy have his day. My dad says Stoney woke up one day and realized he could be a so-so pitcher for a long time or he could throw tons of curveballs and win a Cy. Guess we know which one he picked."

Later that same day, a complete jack*&* in a Jaguar X12 with New York plates came into the station and after berating me for leaving a trace of gasoline fume on his car, asked how to get to Catonsville from there. I told him to turn right and head up York Road until he saw the signs for 695 East towards Essex. I hope he's still circling the Beltway 27 years later.

My wife was in the video store on Charles st. when Brady Anderson went in.She was a big Brady fan but never saw him. When she came out i said did you see Brady? she said no and called me a liar so i waited for him in my mustang. When he came out he got in this awesome BMW and for some reason i decided to follow him.he must have figured out i was following him because next thing you know he floored it and here i was chasing Brady through downtown B-more. He went up into Harbor Court Hotel and i followed him into he got into a fenced in area in the parking garage.lol

Also met Scott Erickson in the line at the bank. He got up to the teller in front of me and she asked what she could do for him. He said "just cash it." I don't know how much that check was for but i did see her face all but drop before he said he was just kidding.

I was on the outdoor staircase at the Comcast Center at UMD waiting to go into the arena for my wife's graduation in '06. Harold Baines was coming up the steps headed into the arena as well. I said his name and he looked at me, smiled, and I shook his hand.

A buddy of mine worked on the when Ironbirds stadium. One day it was humid and nasty and Cal stops by to see how work is going. He's there for literally ten minutes, just telling the guys he appreciates the effort, etc. At lunchtime the guys go in to eat their lunches, and Cal has bought a huge catered buffet for them. Steak, shrimp, everything.

I hit Tony Tarasco with a lemon (from my drink) from the standing room only part of Eutaw street after he failed to hustle the inning before, and then dropped a routine flyball. Two weeks later I saw him on Charles Street and apologized, feeling like a complete jerk for acting like a fool. He says, no joke "You have pretty good aim". Then he laughed and shook my hand.

There is no possible way this is even remotely true.

I'd certainly believe that Brady used steroids, but its absurd to say his power surge was the sole result of steroid use. Did he stop using after then? Did nobody else in baseball history use steroids? If steroids alone could take you from 20 HR to 50 HR, then everyone would be hitting 40-50 HR, which obviously wasn't the case even when things were at their worst.

If Brady had never done an illegal drug in his life, he still would have hit around 40 HR that year. He was completely dialed in all year long. The steroids probably helped him hit a few more, but he would have hit a ton of HRs that year even if he was clean.

Don't want to take this too much off track, but home runs can certainly be attributed to steroids. Some people it doesn't work for a variety of reasons (poor workout routine, decreased bat speed due to larger chests, etc.), but steroids certainly aided him. I think Rhodes was just saying that they were the reason WHY he jumped up so much in the power department. You can be dialed in as much as you want, but he hit more than double the most home runs he ever hit in one season. Steroids are going to turn warning track flyouts and doubles to home runs. Maybe he would have hit 30 or 35 home runs without steroids that year, I don't know. But 50? No way.

FWIW, Anderson claimed it was because of creatine. Creatine! Hahaha. Creatine doesn't do that. ;)

Sorry, man. I just disagree with you completely.

Not really a strange place, but i ran into Dennis Martinez, Eddie Murray and Rick Dempsey a couple of times at Christopher's years ago. Rick was the coolest. He used to jump up on stage and sing. I came out of the bathroom one time and he was standing there having a friendly chat with my date. I said " C'mon Rick that's my wife " and he started fumbling around like he was scared and pretended to almost spill his drink..haha. Cool guy !

Ringing up customers at a gift shop. Actually Cal was running the cash register in the gift shop at one of the Iron Birds games. He shook hands with my 2 sons and took my money. It was funny when he asked a girl to show him how to do this.

Don't want to take this too much off track, but home runs can certainly be attributed to steroids. Some people it doesn't work for a variety of reasons (poor workout routine, decreased bat speed due to larger chests, etc.), but steroids certainly aided him. I think Rhodes was just saying that they were the reason WHY he jumped up so much in the power department. You can be dialed in as much as you want, but he hit more than double the most home runs he ever hit in one season. Steroids are going to turn warning track flyouts and doubles to home runs. Maybe he would have hit 30 or 35 home runs without steroids that year, I don't know. But 50? No way.

FWIW, Anderson claimed it was because of creatine. Creatine! Hahaha. Creatine doesn't do that. ;)

Sorry, man. I just disagree with you completely.

Sorry to get you so upset... We were standing outside Bay Cafe at closing time and somebody asked Rhodes about Brady hitting so many homers..( I think he had 2 that day ).. He just put his arm up and made a motion with his other hand like shooting a needle in his arm. He didn't say anything, just kind of smirked..

I did not mean to start anything... that encounter just kind of stood out to me--

I like Brady and hope that he was clean... I also never, ever want to get on Cindy's bad side...

Sorry again

When I was younger, Rick Dempsey was my favorite Oriole player and is the reason I got into catching. Maybe as well, my Dad looked very similar to Rick when my Dad was younger. The only difference (and a slight one at that :D) is that my Dad is 5'3" and Rick is more around 6'. Needless to say, we're at a local restaurant/bar when I'm probably around 10 and this big, fat woman that looked like she could have been in Hairspray sees my Dad across the room and just starts shouting, "Riiiiiiiiiiick! Riiiiiiiiiiiick Dempsey!" and is running full speed toward my Dad. She starts smothering him with hugs and suffocating him with her 40 DD's. It took my Dad a good 10 minutes to convince her he wasn't Rick.

I ran into Dempsey at the lighting of the Washington Monument in December where he was going to be the celebrity lighting the monument. I told him the story and that he owed my Dad a big one for taking the hit for him. :D Rick took it in great humor and said he owes my Dad a beer at least. Great guy.

I've seen BRob in Locust Point when at the Wine Market for dinner. There's a gym there that he works out at. Nice guy.

My wife and I flew on the same plane as Mike McCrary on our way to Miami about 2 years ago. Also a nice guy.

Todd Cruz used to come to some of my brother's little league games.

The day the Orioles traded away Phil Bradley, myself and a few friends were looking to get onto Rocky Point. We ended up getting Bradley's tee time as he was on his way to whatever team traded for him.

Jonathan Ogden on the second floor of the Bay Cafe when it was full one night. There's this level of people's heads and then this one that stuck about 1 1/2 feet above the rest of the crowd.

There are others I'll have to remember.

Thought of two more.

My wife grew up in Ellicott City and she went to (and we still attend) Forest Hills Swim Club. Her swimming coach was Polly Winde who would later go on to be Polly Surhoff, wife of BJ.

Second, I played baseball at Loyola College. Our first basemen was a guy named Keith Boeck who I think is still scouting in MLB for the Rangers, I believe. He worked for the O's in public relations as well and dated John Hart's daughter. Keith was best friends with Brady during Brady's peak years in Baltimore. In June of 1992, I met Keith, our left fielder Chris Dimartino and our center fielder Dave Slowik at Hooters and Brady was with them as was Tim Kurkjian doing an article on the popularity of Brady and how everyone was growing sideburns. Brady was goaded into talking about his speed and the subject came up that Chris was a high school sprint champ in Pittsburgh. They got into the one-upsmanship trash talking and next thing we know, we're in the parking lot and they're racing. Brady smoked Chris something like 3 or 4 times in a row. Our CF, Dave, tried racing him and it was even worse. Someone asked me if I wanted a try and I told him that I'm a catcher and that ended that talk! :D

Whoa...so did I. Rodos must have been his spot! It was like the middle of the week...Tuesday or a Wednesday night. He was with someone else from the White Sox but I don't remember who. Cool guy.

2 Christmas Eve's ago Adam Loewen was behind me in line at the Best Buy at White Marsh. We chatted a little, talked about his elbow, craziness that is Best Buy on December 24th, about the Orioles Hangout (he said he checked it out from time to time but more in the minors), and then wished each other a happy holiday.

WOW!

Scottie

You have an awesome life:):clap3::wedge:

Ringing up customers at a gift shop. Actually Cal was running the cash register in the gift shop at one of the Iron Birds games. He shook hands with my 2 sons and took my money. It was funny when he asked a girl to show him how to do this.

I was there for that!:)

My wife was in the video store on Charles st. when Brady Anderson went in.She was a big Brady fan but never saw him. When she came out i said did you see Brady? she said no and called me a liar so i waited for him in my mustang. When he came out he got in this awesome BMW and for some reason i decided to follow him.he must have figured out i was following him because next thing you know he floored it and here i was chasing Brady through downtown B-more. He went up into Harbor Court Hotel and i followed him into he got into a fenced in area in the parking garage.lol

Also met Scott Erickson in the line at the bank. He got up to the teller in front of me and she asked what she could do for him. He said "just cash it." I don't know how much that check was for but i did see her face all but drop before he said he was just kidding.

Your poor wife:(

You need to learn to drive FASTER!!!!:D

I met BJ Surhoff at Hayfields Country Club in Hunt Valley about 10 years ago or so. After he was traded to the Braves and then came back.

Not a good meeting though.

I walked up to him at the clubhouse and kindly and very respectfully (for a kid too!) said how much I respected him and that he was one of my favorite players of all time and how sad I was when he left, and happy I was when he got back, etc. etc.

And then I reached out to shake his hand before leaving to finish playing with my dad.

And he said he didn't want to shake my hand. He'd "rather not". Something about his hands being dirty from golfing.

A small and valuable lesson in disappointment.

I am sorry that happened to you:(