Three RBI Homer

The Official Draft Thread

I figured instead of clogging the boards with draft thoughts throughout the day, we should just combine it all into one thread. :D Smart thinking eh?

1st round

Washington Nationals: Stephen Strasburg

Seattle Mariners: Dustin Ackley

San Diego Padres:Donovan Tate

Pittsburgh Pirates:Tony Sanchez

Baltimore Orioles:Matt Hobgood

San Fransisco Giants:Zach Wheeler

Atlanta Braves:Mike Minor

Cincinnati Reds:Mike Leake

Detroit Tigers:Jacob Turner

Washington Nationals:Drew Storen

Colorado Rockies:Tyler Matzek

Kansas City Royals:Aaron Crow

Oakland Athletics:Grant Green

Texas Rangers:Matt Purke

Cleveland Indians:Alex White

Arizona Diamondbacks:Bobby Borchering

Arizona Diamondbacks:AJ Pollock

Florida Marlins:Chad James

St. Louis Cardinals:Shelby Miller

Toronto Blue Jays:Chad Jenkins

Houston Astros:Jiovanni Mier

Minnesota Twins:Kyle Gibson

Chicago White Sox:Jared Mitchell

LA Angels:Randall Grichuk

LA Angels:Mike Trout

Milwaukee Brewers:Eric Arnett

Seattle Mariners:Nick Franklin

Boston Red Sox:Raymond Fuentes

New York Yankees:Slade Heathcott

Tampa Bay Rays:Levan Washington

Chicago Cubs:Brett Jackson

Colorado Rockies: Tim Wheeler

Im just going to do the 1st round. Penguins game is on at 8 :)

Edited by Three RBI Homer

Why is it we don't pick again until the 54th pick?

Compensation/Supplemental picks. (The picks that teams get if a Type A or Type B player signs somewhere else)

• Upvote 1

I'm not gonna lie, for this draft I honestly wouldn't be that upset if the Orioles "failed" to sign whomever (whoever?) they draft.

It's a weaker year, and I don't mind the idea of the Orioles having next year's 6th overall pick as well as a likely top 5 (#1? Bryce?) in what should be a stronger crop of prospects.

With the exception of a couple players noone really jumps out at me as a must have at #5- if this were the NFL the team would be doing everything possible to trade down, ala the Ravens with the #8 pick a year ago.

Anyway I'm hoping they get ahold of Matzek or Ackley or Tate, but being unlikely they will fall and/or be an easy sign, the Orioles having two top 6 draft picks next year does not upset me in the least.

But in the end I'll probably be happy with whatever happens. In Jordan We Trust.

(Altho I'm really not excited about the idea of taking Hobgood)

I figured instead of clogging the boards with draft thoughts throughout the day, we should just combine it all into one thread. :D Smart thinking eh?

Can you keep editing/updating this post please :clap3:

Like posting the picks on the thread?

Post them in the thread sure, but it could get really big. I was hoping you could update your opening post as well.

Post them in the thread sure, but it could get really big. I was hoping you could update your opening post as well.

No problemo my friend.

BTW just looked at a scouting video for Hobgood, check out the movement on his fastball in the first couple of pitches he throws :eek:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=4961152&content_id=4521379

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Elias has typically been very methodical when it comes to promotions once a player hits A-ball and he did not show any inclination to "rush" a player up the chain or to the big leagues before putting in some time and success at a previous level. Michael Baumann has just 13 AA appearances (70 IP) so it's easy to just think Elias would want him to have success at AAA before having him compete for a big league job. One could also think that Elias would prefer an extra year of control for a pitcher with the upside of Baumann.  My argument to that is two fold with Baumann. First, Baumann will pitch at 25 years old next year which means he'll be 31 when he's eligible for free agency. That to me suggests that player control will not be an issue. The second part is that Baumann was considered by several observers as the best pitcher at the alternate camp before coming down with elbow discomfort. To me, those were like AAA starts with the talent level of the hitters in camp for the most part so in Elias' head, he could be thinking he's gotten that AAA experience. The rotation this year barring injury should start with Means and Cobb, with Akin and Kremer having the inside track to the next two spots. Saying that, it's not like akin and Kremer can come into camp and just be terrible and get a spot, so I'd say they have spots as long as they don't implode in the spring.  The last spot has these candidates right now: Zimmermann Baumann Jorge Lopez Ashton Goudeau Mac Sceroler Alexander Wells Baumann is clearly the best pitcher of these options though I think Zimmemann is better than what we saw last year since he had missed some time due to COVID along with the long layoff from the spring where he was throwing the ball well. One more thing about Elias doing things out of his norm is that AA and A ball will begin about a month late due to COVID concerns at spring training. This means we could see some players, potentially Rutschman, jumped  to AAA in order to get them playing time. Rutschman was reportedly one of the best hitters at the alternate camp against the upper level pitching so it might not be a stretch to see him start the year in Norfolk and if he's not doing well, moved back to Bowie when their season starts.  
    • Not Tony, but virtually our entire minor league system is one year older and had no organized baseball last year.  For those players, it was a "missed season."  Yet they are still a year older than you would have liked at this point in their careers.  So, some may be moved along faster than they would have to make up for the lost time.
    • Would really like to hear any intel on Placencia from the 2019 list. Any leads on where they will put him this year? High OBP SS, yes, please!
    • I like that he moved to cover 3B on that first play even though it wasn't needed. The body and stuff certainly pass the eye test. Looks a little like Trevor Bauer but a couple inches taller!
    • Keith Law doesn't like his mechanics. Tree trunk legs might not compensate for weird mechanics.  All pitching prospects make me nervous.
    • You might actually be able to if he has a good first half and a team has a need at the deadline. In no case would we be getting back elite prospects. We'd probably get guys who profile like the Bundy trade, but less of them. Don't get me wrong, I'd like that trade if, as I've said, the next group looks like they'll stick. If not, I think he could be part of a contender here if those guys don't pan out, so I don't just want to dump him.
    • Can you elaborate on what you mean with the bolded part? Genuinely asking.
  • Popular Contributors