McLovin

1st Round Pick - Matt Hobgood - RHP - HS

Hey, most everyone was disappointed with the Matusz pick when it happened and look at how good he is now. I 'll hold judgement until he starts pitching in the minors. From the short clips they showed his curved looked good.

Hey, most everyone was disappointed with the Matusz pick when it happened and look at how good he is now. I 'll hold judgement until he starts pitching in the minors. From the short clips they showed his curved looked good.

Actually I liked the Matusz pick - I don't like this pick. Hope I'm wrong.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090303&content_id=3910872&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Fastball: Hobgood threw his fastball in the 89-92 mph range and went right after hitters with it.

Fastball movement: Has heavy, hard life.

Curve: A plus pitch, 11-to-5, true curve, thrown 74-79 mph. It has the chance to be the best high school curve in this class.

Slider: It's slurvy at 80 mph, and is a usable pitch.

Changeup: Didn't show a changeup and may lack a feel for it.

Control: Has average high school command, but was throwing to the radar gun a bit too much.

Poise: Exceptional. He challenged hitters, daring them to try and hit him. He has a little mean streak on the mound.

Physical Description: Hobgood is a big, physical animal -- like a Josh Beckett type.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Size, strength and durability. Also has two plus pitches now, with the intangibles to be a front-of-the-rotation starter.

Weaknesses: Doesn't show a feel for a changeup. He lands a little hard and will have to soften his front side a little to hone command.

Summary: Hobgood is a big, strong right-hander with two plus offerings in his heavy fastball and outstanding curve. Some small tweaks to his delivery should help him find even better fastball command. If he can add a changeup to go along with his other offerings and his tremendous mound presence, he has the chance to be a front-of-the-rotation starter in the future.

Potential #1 ...

Was this as much of a reach as it seems to me?

The posters on MLBTradeRumors seem to think so. They voted overwhelmingly that this was a bad pick for the O's.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think we'd have done better with Wheeler or Matzek.

Drafting him over Wheeler and Matzek was a huge mistake, IMO.

Time will tell.

At least this is a guy we have a chance to get into the system right away and get into the minors this year, rather than waiting till 11:58 on the last possible day to get him signed, then waiting till the Arizona Fall League to get a first glimpse. :rolleyestf:

Looks like the guys got a power curve. I'm not overly thrilled or upset, just waiting to learn more about him.

The posters on MLBTradeRumors seem to think so. They voted overwhelmingly that this was a bad pick for the O's.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think we'd have done better with Wheeler or Matzek.

That's because they react based on what they're told by the Churchill's, Law's, etc... of the world.

They don't know any better than you, me, or JTrea.