WhoRU

Liz hits 102MPH!

As reported in the prospect tracker Liz hit 102MPH on the gun last night. I dont know if the gun was of or not but WOW!

Is his arm getting better? I have never seen anything that said he threw over 98 before and that he wasn't there consistantly (please correct me if I am wrong). He is going to be up here sooner rather than later and I cant wait!

After that 102 MPH reading I began to seriously doubt the accuracy of the Bowie radar gun. I tried using my binoculars to peek in on Orlando Roman's gun as he was charting pitches. From what I could tell, and I could be completely wrong, his gun was just a couple points slower than the readings flashed on the stadium gun. I noted the 102 reading though and will try to find out if it is a legit reading or not.

Whatever, if he's throwing that kind of gas he should be up in Baltimore for September for a look-see.

Exactly. He needs to be here in September.

When you are in the neighborhood of 95+ what the heck is the difference between 98 and 102 mph.

It is serious gas.

I have been touting Liz here from day 1. In his first year at Aberdeen, you could tell he was going to be good. He was a man amongst boys.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget that the 102 MPH fastball was followed by an 85 MPH changeup. It's that combination that's so impressive - especially if he's going to remain a starter.

The difference between 98 is Armando Benetiz and 102 is Ron Guidry. There is a dramatic difference.

That analogy makes no sense. Benitez throws it harder than Johan Santana ever could dream of throwing. Does that mean Benitez > Santana ? :confused:

Ron Guidry ?

I saw him pitch many times. I don't recall him throwing anywhere near 102 mph. Benitez has thrown it 102 mph on occasion, though.

Guidry's best pitch was a slider.

Location and movement are as important as speed.

Speed gives a pitcher a little safety factor. That's it. Speed without control and/or movement is useless against mlb hitters.

That analogy makes no sense. Benitez throws it harder than Johan Santana ever could dream of throwing. Does that mean Benitez > Santana ? :confused:

Ron Guidry ?

I saw him pitch many times. I don't recall him throwing anywhere near 102 mph. Benitez has thrown it 102 mph on occasion, though.

Guidry's best pitch was a slider.

Location and movement are as important as speed.

Speed gives a pitcher a little safety factor.

He must have meant Gossage.

I dunno guys. Guidry could really bring it. That's why they called him Louisiana Lightnin...

and because he was from Louisiana.

I dunno guys. Guidry could really bring it. That's why they called him Louisiana Lightnin...

No way Guidry ever sniffed 98 MPH, not to mention 102 MPH. He was known as Louisana Lightin because he was small in stature and his delivery and motion allowed his low 90's fastball to sneak up on hitters.

A much better comparison to Guidry would be our very own Eric Bedard. The Yankee announcers always mention Guidry when they discuss Bedard because of his motion and deceptive speed.

also, he was struck by lightning.

No way Guidry ever sniffed 98 MPH, not to mention 102 MPH. He was known as Louisana Lightin because he was small in stature and his delivery and motion allowed his low 90's fastball to sneak up on hitters.

A much better comparison to Guidry would be our very own Eric Bedard. The Yankee announcers always mention Guidry when they discuss Bedard because of his motion and deceptive speed.

What he said.

Uh, no and... no. And sorry Chollie.

Here's a description of Guidry on the second site I googled:

A native of Mississippi, Oswalt is listed at 6-foot-0, 185 pounds and throws with his entire body like Ron Guidry, the left-handed former Yankee once nicknamed "Louisiana Lightning" for the whip-like motion he used to throw his 98-mph fastball.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051012&content_id=1247730&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Guidry had probably the nastiest stuff I've ever seen - along with Vida Blue, Dwight Gooden, and Randy Johnson. It's not a knock on Bedard at all, but Guidry's stuff (in his prime) was in a class far above Bedard's.

Guidry had probably the nastiest stuff I've ever seen - along with Vida Blue, Dwight Gooden, and Randy Johnson. It's not a knock on Bedard at all, but Guidry's stuff (in his prime) was in a class far above Bedard's.

Maybe, but Guidry wasn't ever anywhere near the strikeout pitcher Bedrad has been this year, and its not like EB is getting by with much better location than Guidry.