Sign in to follow this  
Three Run Homer

Andy MacPhail, get on the phone with St Louis!!!!

LOLOLOLOL Did you just compare Luke Scott to Matt Holliday? Luke Scott plays in a hitter's park, is 31, is having a career year, and his natural position is DH--and if he plays LF, he'll do it poorly at worst, average at best. Holliday is 27, is having one of his worst seasons (and it's still a great season; most of his numbers are because he had a terrible April, but he's been elite since), plays in a pitcher's park, and is probably the best defensive LF in baseball.

Dude, before you fly off the handle, at least get your facts straight. Holliday is 29 not 27, which is a big difference, and he is in the last year of his contract. Also, there is nothing great about a .795 season, period. Further, count with me the number of gold gloves Holliday's received during his career....yeah, thats right, none. I know GG voting is subjective, but the fact that he hasn't won once shows me there is nothing probable about the notion he's the best defensive LF in all of baseball. Holliday is a complete fraud, he's completely been exposed out of Colorado. Based on current production and contract situation Luke Scott is easily more desirable between the two players.

OMG! Like, you know, there's this cool website called fangraphs that, like, you know, actually shows defensive statistics! And, like, it says that Luke Scott had a 7.1 UZR/150 as a LF last year in Baltimore! OMG! Who knew?

And, like, it also sez that Matt Holliday is WAY older than 27. He's 29. And it's, like, no biggie either way, cuz he's like a free agent after this season, and Scott has three more years before he hits free agency.

And speaking of park effects--like, there's this cool thing about playing in Colorado! It like TOTALLY blows up your offensive numbers so that people think you're a better hitter than you are! OMG! ROTFLOL!

Best....post....ever! :rofl:

OMG! Like, you know, there's this cool website called fangraphs that, like, you know, actually shows defensive statistics! And, like, it says that Luke Scott had a 7.1 UZR/150 as a LF last year in Baltimore! OMG! Who knew?

And, like, it also sez that Matt Holliday is WAY older than 27. He's 29. And it's, like, no biggie either way, cuz he's like a free agent after this season, and Scott has three more years before he hits free agency.

And speaking of park effects--like, there's this cool thing about playing in Colorado! It like TOTALLY blows up your offensive numbers so that people think you're a better hitter than you are! OMG! ROTFLOL!

Your so COOL! :rofl::laughlol:

Give the guy a break.

Give the guy a break.

The original post was pretty mistaken.

I don't equate Scott and Holliday, but he's wrong about Scott, and wrong about Holliday. Top that with the tone of his post, and a little bit of grief is understandable.

This seems like a huge price to pay by the Cards - giving up Wallace for a rental, IMO.

The Cards could get picks for MH, but it's difficult to say if it's worth offering him arbitration in the first place. Not sure if MH profiles as an A or B given his average stats this year.

Like, you know... you are so, cool!

You forgot to comment on the part about DH. That would be seemlingly hard to do from the National League.

Give the guy a break.

Well, in fairness, the guy has been sorta asking for it. It's not just that he was wrong about the particulars, it's also just more of the tone of he's got the absolute answer. I thought the response was kinda funny...

Ha! Whoops on the age.

You do know that BaseballProspectus has this stat called FRAA? That's like 100 times better than range factor? And that it has his season totals of FRAA at 0, -8, 0, -2, and 0? So yeah, I stand by the 'poorly at worst, average at best' anaylsis of his D.

And speaking of park effects, we have a way to adjust for that! You should, you know. Look into that, or something.

The point of the post was mocking the OP--if a team is looking for a player like Matt Holliday, Luke Scott is probably not the same-great-taste-less-calories alternative they're looking for. The Cards already have a bunch of pretty good OFs, and Scott would just add to the clutter. They're trying to win this season, so they want a superstar who is capable of taking over a season, and Holliday is that kind of guy, Scott is not.

Ha! Whoops on the age.

You do know that BaseballProspectus has this stat called FRAA? That's like 100 times better than range factor? And that it has his season totals of FRAA at 0, -8, 0, -2, and 0? So yeah, I stand by the 'poorly at worst, average at best' anaylsis of his D.

And speaking of park effects, we have a way to adjust for that! You should, you know. Look into that, or something.

The point of the post was mocking the OP--if a team is looking for a player like Matt Holliday, Luke Scott is probably not the same-great-taste-less-calories alternative they're looking for. The Cards already have a bunch of pretty good OFs, and Scott would just add to the clutter. They're trying to win this season, so they want a superstar who is capable of taking over a season, and Holliday is that kind of guy, Scott is not.

I'm not trying to sound combative, but your argument still doesn't hold up. Away from Coors, I'd bet that Mr. Holliday's numbers aren't real impressive. You haven't actually given an argument to say why he is is a "superstar" in comparison to Scott.

You do know that BaseballProspectus has this stat called FRAA? That's like 100 times better than range factor? And that it has his season totals of FRAA at 0, -8, 0, -2, and 0? So yeah, I stand by the 'poorly at worst, average at best' anaylsis of his D..
Nobody here is quoting Range Factor. The stats at Fangraphs are as good as defensive stats get. They still aren't perfect, but they are better than anything else out there.

Playing in one of the most difficult parks to hit in, Holliday is .287/.379/.453 on the year--respectable, but not overwhelming. However, most of his numbers are brought down by his awful april (.240/.288/.360); since then, he's been .292/.394/.473, all while playing his typical I-add-one-win-with-my-glove defense. If St. Louis traded him and then let him walk, they'd get two top compensatory picks. Luke Scott is tenured for the next few years (meaning no draft picks as he gets old and stops having a career year), is on the wrong side of 30, and, in the middle of a career year, is STILL posting worse numbers than Holliday, in Holliday's 'worst' season (Scott projects to a 4.4 WARP3 on the year, Holliday 4.8...but Holliday will probably increase the gap, since, again, that number is skewed by his April).

On a completely unrelated note, the more I go through Holliday's numbers, the more I'm reminded of Nick Markakis...

Nobody here is quoting Range Factor. The stats at Fangraphs are as good as defensive stats get. They still aren't perfect, but they are better than anything else out there.

Strongly disagree. I don't think there's any way for you or me to win the argument I'm starting, since neither of us knows as much as the guys who actually make the stats, but I think BaseballProspectus has the best stats online, period.

Oh, not to mention that Luke is probably not going to bat nearly as well in the second half as he did in the first half, while Holliday will probably raise his numbers as the year continues (though, to be honest, not by much...I think Holliday is actually a .300/.400/.500-esque player, a guy who hits 25 to 30 home runs and plays strong defense. Anyone who thought his .340/.405/.607 line from a few years ago was anything other than Coors Field messing with us is/was nuts).