Yes.

But matching his contract would not have done it. The Orioles gambled that he would have a mediocre 2005 and drive the price and market down on him. The Orioles lost and Ryand went to a team that currently has a better record and better prospects of competing with the over rated RedSox and Crippled Yankees.

Given the horrible pitching from Lopez, Chen and DCabrera it certainly would be nice to own the 7th thru 9th innings with Ray and Ryan.

Look, the Orioles screwed up the Ryan situation about as bad as a team could have before he become a FA. He could have been signed earlier for alot less money or they could have dealt him. They did neither. Hopefully, we at least turn the draft pick(s) we got for him into something.

However, the contract BJ Ryan was incredibly stupid. Most GM's and "experts" around the country said it was one of the worse contracts EVER. You just want to see PA spend money..We all do. But it would have been incredibly stupid to match that deal.

You keep saying how great it would be to have Ryan and you are right. But not at that price and not for 5 years.

If someone in the market pays, that's market value.

This is exactly the idiotic assumption that the owners were foolish enough to *build in* to arbitration: if one idiot owner pays an insane amount of money for someone, that creates a new level of "market value". Combine this with the fact that FA's are only those guys who have had a chance to establish themselves, and it's a formula for financial insanity. This foolishness is largely responsible for the remarkable escalation of salaries. Is it why ballplayers are multimillionaires? No. But it is largely why so-so ballplayers are multi-millionaires.

If I go down to the Honda store and give them $75,000 for a new Accord, that does not establish "market value" for an Accord. All it does is establish me as an idiot. But in baseball, it helps define market value. This goofiness is a big part of why everybody is paying $7 for a beer: when the owners over-pay, then we do too.

This is exactly the idiotic assumption that the owners were foolish enough to *build in* to arbitration: if one idiot owner pays an insane amount of money for someone, that creates a new level of "market value". Combine this with the fact that FA's are only those guys who have had a chance to establish themselves, and it's a formula for financial insanity. This foolishness is largely responsible for the remarkable escalation of salaries. Is it why ballplayers are multimillionaires? No. But it is largely why so-so ballplayers are multi-millionaires.

If I go down to the Honda store and give them $75,000 for a new Accord, that does not establish "market value" for an Accord. All it does is establish me as an idiot. But in baseball, it helps define market value. This goofiness is a big part of why everybody is paying $7 for a beer: when the owners over-pay, then we do too.

I'm not arguing for the love of the current system, I'm merely stating what the current system is. IF This organization is unwilling to participate in the market, they need to withdraw from the business. Angelos can take his guarenteed 200 million dollar profit and let some other fool buy the team and loose money by participating in the system.

I didn't see angelos lower the price of beer when he decided not to spend money on Mussina, Delgado, Glaus, or any other player.

I'm not arguing for the love of the current system, I'm merely stating what the current system is. IF This organization is unwilling to participate in the market, they need to withdraw from the business. Angelos can take his guarenteed 200 million dollar profit and let some other fool buy the team and loose money by participating in the system.

I didn't see angelos lower the price of beer when he decided not to spend money on Mussina, Delgado, Glaus, or any other player.

1) The Orioles are are participating in the market but they have used alot of restraint on who and how much to spend money on.

I have to admit, as much as i can't stand PA, they have been right more often than not the last few years in regards to this.

2) PA and the Orioles have nothing to do with beer prices.

IF This organization is unwilling to participate in the market, they need to withdraw from the business. Angelos can take his guarenteed 200 million dollar profit and let some other fool buy the team and loose money by participating in the system.

The organization has demonstrated that is willing to participate in it. The only case that they are unwilling comes from conspiracy theorists who fabricate stories in their heads about fake $65million offers to special players.

There is plenty of room for legitimate questions and debate about particular moves they have or haven't made. But the preponderance of evidence shows that they have made perfectly reasonable decisions that balance short-term needs with long-term development. Their payroll is $72million. That number gives them both a very good core of key players who are locked up through 2009, plus room to to sign another special player or two while still remaining within the accepted standards for payroll-to-income ratio. This will not be satisfactory to those who think that it would be better to throw $50million contracts around as if money was monopoly-money.

If their payroll was $40million, you'd have a point. But it's not, and you don't.