Hank Scorpio

Avery and Hoes Season Wrap

Regarding Avery, notice the comment from a poster who sees a lot of Delmarva games. That poster mentions he needs to learn routes to balls. That is Avery's biggest drawback now. He can learn this in fall instructs if they hit him about 25 balls deep over his head to each side every day.

Denny mentions Avery's short swing. That's the good news. The bad news is that this often is just a "flick" having no power. That needs to be refined in fall instructs as well. Short swing -- great. Flick -- will it work at the major league level?

Plenty of time for these kids to hone their talents. I think they will both relax a little more next year wherever they play and that will help improve their play as well.

• Upvote 1

I'll go along with the experts but I felt that both should repeat Delmarva where they could continue to work on things and hopefully dominate in their second go round. While I'm sure both can handle high A ball, I'd rather see some solid results before a promotion, rather than just scraping by at each level. I thought the new Oriole way was that players would force a promotion to the next level.

I wonder does coaching abilities have anything to do with promotions? What I mean is does the coaching improve as the level moves up? If that is the case then is there a chance that Avery and Hoes have learned all they can at low A and need better coaching that can be achieved at High A? Also, honestly is there anybody above them that is better than them? We always complain about a lack of positional talent (warranted). So I think it is a matter of they deserve to be in Frederick vs. the other options. To your point about promotions, I believe that the new philosophy applies to in-season promotions. I think to paraphrase, Andy M. has noted to be promoted mid-season you have to force that to happen as opposed to the old way. Being promoted after a completed "successful" season to the next level the next year is a different scenario. Of course a poor Fall &/or ST could cause 1 or both to go back to Low A again next year to start. Just my thoughts.

They could have done better with those two draft picks.
Agree 100%. I am shocked by the pick of Givens in the second round this year, as well.

Really? Givens was actually gonna be a first rounder until he had a somewhat down summer this year. I find our Givens pick satisfactory, Im not enamored, but Im fine with it. As for Avery and Hoes, Im happier now then I was then with the picks. Avery actually progressed better than Hoes this year which means something to me because Hoes was IMO a good amrgin ahead of Avery developmentally, and Avery took charge. Both are good prospects, Hoes disappointed me with the lack of discipline this year, but at their age in LoA this year they did fine. Avery hit .020 points lower as he went from the GCL to Delmarva, Im pretty content with that.....

Pearls of wisdom. :rolleyes:

And I suppose you have picked a handful of the 1,000 players chosen after Avery and Hoes to come up with a couple of better prospects? Let's have them. They could have done better. That's an easy one. Unless Jordan picked the absolute two perfect picks with those two, then yes, he could have done better. It's a bit premature to be making comments like these but I'm not surprised in the least. So who should we have chose in the 2nd and 3rd round?

...let me look up some stats and I'll get back with you.

It would be a waste of time to try and tell you what is to like. What I'd like is for you to back up your statement of "They could have done better". I think you made a statement without having much knowledge of the draft or what the odds are on 2nd and 3rd rounders making it. I think you have no idea where Avery & Hoes fall in compared to other 2nd and 3rd rounders picked in the same draft. But you made your comment nonetheless. I'm just waiting to find our if you have any idea.

You hit the nail on the head. It's a waste of time to talk draft picks or prospect with him. He's always been the same broken record. Just do what I do and ignore his comments about this stuff.

Orioles second and third rounders who batted .260 and .262 in low A, combined to get on base less than a third of the time and amassed four home runs in 900 at bats. What's not to like?
Who knows if these guys will make it or not, but scouting is 10X more important that stats for HS kids who are raw baseball wise their first couple years.

If all you are looking at is the numbers, and you don't care about what the players actually look like, then your opinion is meaningless, because the stats are relatively meaningless whether they are good or bad.

Tony, there are thousands upon thousands of views posted on this board about how good players are, what trades to make, how good or bad Orioles management is, whether this or that Orioles player has a bad attitude or not, and so on. And all but a very, very few of these opinions are expressed by amateurs with no direct knowledge that backs up what they say.

Scouting/player development is your specialty. So because you are knowledegable, I guess you are more likely to see flaws in contrarian arguements and take offense more often. But try remembering that my lack of baseball knowledge is no more profound than that of most of the rest of the people on this board.And BTW Tony, I specifically recall your expressing surprise when the Hoes and Avery picks were made. You weren't critical, but you were surprised.

The Orioles need to improve NOW, not 4 or 5 years from now when Matt Hobgood and Xavier Avery may be ready. In other words, I think they should draft Matusz's and Wieters', not Hobgoods. And that's exactly what they should do in 2010 when they'll have an historic opportunity to improve themselves with probably their highest pick since 1989 when they took Ben McDonald.

That's my view, and I plan to express it even if it is unpopular. If you don't want to see it, then throw me off.

Edited by mikezpen